JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nope.

We have reasonable limits on all rights. Same for the second amendment sir or madam.

We have a complex, tried and true system of laws regarding guns. We have things that are protected And things that are not protected. Pistols, rifles and shotguns are protected. Machine guns are not.

There are only really two issues in discussion at the moment.

Is there a right to carry outside the home ?(there should be) And are assault weapons protected? (they should be)

That is where the fight is. Not the age at which someone can buy a gun.

That argument is bubblegunerbation.

If there is not a right to have a pistol at 18, and the Supreme Court found years ago there was not, then the same logic and law would be able to be applied here.

That sir or madam is what you sign up for when you say you support the Constitution. The Supreme Court interpretation IS the law of the land and it is YOU that is on the slippery slope when you deny that because THAT is exactly what the liberals do. They think that the parts they like apply and the rest does not. That sir or madam is sophistry and the basis of totalitarianism.

I believe in the Constitution and it's Supreme Court interpretations. That makes me an American. I support our laws not some tarted up pig in a dress of a fantasy of what rights should be.

Sir or madam, I also support your right to believe what you like, but avoiding reality sounds more like an antifa wet dream to me than a real plan of action.

And no I don't trust 18 year olds to vote or defend the country either FWIW.
All I can say to that is wow. Thanks for being honest.

Nope.

We have reasonable limits on all rights. Same for the second amendment sir or madam.

We have a complex, tried and true system of laws regarding guns. We have things that are protected And things that are not protected. Pistols, rifles and shotguns are protected. Machine guns are not.

There are only really two issues in discussion at the moment.

Is there a right to carry outside the home ?(there should be) And are assault weapons protected? (they should be)

That is where the fight is. Not the age at which someone can buy a gun.

That argument is bubblegunerbation.

If there is not a right to have a pistol at 18, and the Supreme Court found years ago there was not, then the same logic and law would be able to be applied here.

That sir or madam is what you sign up for when you say you support the Constitution. The Supreme Court interpretation IS the law of the land and it is YOU that is on the slippery slope when you deny that because THAT is exactly what the liberals do. They think that the parts they like apply and the rest does not. That sir or madam is sophistry and the basis of totalitarianism.

I believe in the Constitution and it's Supreme Court interpretations. That makes me an American. I support our laws not some tarted up pig in a dress of a fantasy of what rights should be.

Sir or madam, I also support your right to believe what you like, but avoiding reality sounds more like an antifa wet dream to me than a real plan of action.

And no I don't trust 18 year olds to vote or defend the country either FWIW.
:s0101:

If 18-21 is an issue, then why 18 to begin with? Why not 13 or no age limit at all?

Why not just say?

Old enough to vote, old enough to die for the country, old enough to have ALL of your rights as a citizen.

Yes, I'd have a problem with a 13 year old voting. And I also have a problem with the dead and/or the brain dead (mentally ill) voting.

Reasonable and common sense.

Rrrright? Well according to ME, it is. See what I just did?

Aloha, Mark

As I see it.....

The argument about "Constitutional" has to do with what is specifically enumerated in the Constitution.

BUT THEN......
It would also stand to reason, that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms" would also include juveniles. So, it's a Constitutional Issue.

Just like how.....you know......kids have Freedom of Speech and the protections afforded under the 4th and 5th Amendments (in trial proceedings). However, through case law and tradition. It is also recognized that "some young people" are not afforded all of their rights and responsibilities. Parents are suppose to be looking out for their best interests and guiding them through their young lives. BUT......there is no issue with a parent searching their kid's room or telling their kid to, "shut it."

So anyway......
Somewhere along the line of history. We the people said........18 is the age of majority. THAT, wasn't in the Constitution. So, the age of majority.......isn't specifically a "Constitutional Issue".

That being said......
Yes.....21 to buy a handgun or ammo for a handgun, is a Fed Law.

And, for the record.......I don't agree with it. I believe that if you're 18.......you should be afforded ALL of your RIGHTS and RESPONSIBILITIES.

Reasonable and Common Sense.

See what I just did?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
As I see it.....

The argument about "Constitutional" has to do with what is specifically enumerated in the Constitution.

BUT THEN......
It would also stand to reason, that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms" would also include juveniles. So, it's a Constitutional Issue.

Just like how.....you know......kids have Freedom of Speech and the protections afforded under the 4th and 5th Amendments (in trial proceedings). However, through case law and tradition. It is also recognized that "some young people" are not afforded all of their rights and responsibilities. Parents are suppose to be looking out for their best interests and guiding them through their young lives. BUT......there is no issue with a parent searching their kid's room or telling their kid to, "shut it."

So anyway......
Somewhere along the line of history. We the people said........18 is the age of majority. THAT, wasn't in the Constitution. So, the age of majority.......isn't specifically a "Constitutional Issue".

That being said......
Yes.....21 to buy a handgun or ammo for a handgun, is a Fed Law.

And, for the record.......I don't agree with it. I believe that if you're 18.......you should be afforded ALL of your RIGHTS and RESPONSIBILITIES.

Reasonable and Common Sense.

See what I just did?

Aloha, Mark
The fed age for possession of a handgun is 18. Private sales can be done at 18 in some states. 2nd also allows for ownership of Machine Guns.

My wife brought up an interesting age discrimination that has been occurring for a long time.

Buying spray paint.

My wife brought up an interesting age discrimination that has been occurring for a long time.

Buying spray paint.
If you are 18 or older and a store refuses to sell you spray paint in Oregon because of your age, they are violating the discrimination law. No exemption in the law for spray paint.

If you are 18 or older and a store refuses to sell you spray paint in Oregon because of your age, they are violating the discrimination law. No exemption in the law for spray paint.
The thing is I've been having a hard time finding the law against selling spray paint to minors.

Found one for Portland, but not the state.

It isn't against the law in many states as well, but often not sold to minors.

I recall trying to buy paintballs under the age of 18 at Walmart back in the day. They wouldn't unless I was 18. I'm pretty sure there aren't laws against paintball sales.

I did send them an email complaining about them violating their own age discrimination policy but did not hear anything back from them, not that I expected to. Just a side note though, the store in Scappoose which had been open less than two years when this policy change took effect went back through their books and determined that only 9 people under the age of 21 had purchased firearms at their store. This is not an excuse in anyway, just some interesting information. I know the employees do not agree with the policy that they are required to enforce as I have talked to them.

I did send them an email complaining about them violating their own age discrimination policy but did not hear anything back from them, not that I expected to. Just a side note though, the store in Scappoose which had been open less than two years when this policy change took effect went back through their books and determined that only 9 people under the age of 21 had purchased firearms at their store. This is not an excuse in anyway, just some interesting information. I know the employees do not agree with the policy that they are required to enforce as I have talked to them.
I figured that many of the employees would not be on board for this policy. As I said in previous comment I believe this is mostly a PR stunt to get the anti-gun people off their backs. Some liability issues probably play a small role too. I was pretty sure that the 18-20 crowd was not a major part of the business for any of these stores. Most people in that crowd probably don't have the finances to support a healthy gun habit. Thanks for the info. Are you following the Columbia County 2A Ordinance?

I figured that many of the employees would not be on board for this policy. As I said in previous comment I believe this is mostly a PR stunt to get the anti-gun people off their backs. Some liability issues probably play a small role too. I was pretty sure that the 18-20 crowd was not a major part of the business for any of these stores. Most people in that crowd probably don't have the finances to support a healthy gun habit. Thanks for the info. Are you following the Columbia County 2A Ordinance?
Yes I am.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews