JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't disagree but times have changed.

Divorced parent? Your now the new normal.

1 parent working and 1 at home? Your the vast minority by a long shot.

Kids have more information thrown at them then they can process and retain with the internet. They are being wired to be able to find the answer and not just remember it.

My kids heading towards a neurology degree, runs volunteer meetings for teens, volunteers at clinics etc.

She also was only 1 of 21 out of 240 kids in her high school to complete an advanced program from start to finish with a graduating class of 600+.

That tells me, along with what I read and my own personal experience that 'kids' are kids a lot longer then the short couple of decades ago that I grew up in.

Some of these things need to change with the times and others don't. But a blank statement advocating that all kids are just as responsible as their peers is not something I agree with.

I have already stated I disagree with active military restrictions etc.

We are talking about the 'average' 18 year old and I just don't see a lot of shining example these days beyond the exceptional few.
Then we might as well say we have failed as a nation and ask a dictator to tell us what to do so we don't have to be responsible for our own actions.

Love our BiMart. The store is a positive benefit for our community.

Poorly written posts trying to gin up outrage using loaded language....well, I guess we won't be bumping into each other in the BiMart checkout line.

I washed my hands of Bi-Mart on principle, but if you take a good hard look at their demographics they have one foot in the grave already. Everyone I know refers to Bi-Mart as "the old people store." A few more years and they dry up.

My humble opinion on those questioning the limits etc... Sure why not, if you're an adult at 18 all adult rights and privileges should come with it not be meted out, or spoon fed like it is.
You can vote go to war die at 18 heck you can die for the country at 16 I believe so I'm for being able to buy alcohol cigarettes and weed at 18 and not have to wait until you're 21. All BS as far as I'm concerned.
absolutely hated I couldn't buy a handgun at 18 but could buy a rifle.

My FIL is not doing well so we've been helping out at their house, including spending weekends sleeping there to help watch him over night. I'm also running errands, groceries, etc. Last weekend that took me to Bi-Mart to pick up his prescriptions and to get a few other things there they asked me to pick up. All I can say is the store looked plenty busy to me. I didn't walk back to the gun counter to see how that looked, but there were lines at every open register going back 4-5 folks deep.

Sorry, but I just don't think the backlash from their decision is really going to hurt them in any significant way. I think the number of folks that are actually pizzed about this decision is relatively small. And my experience in there last weekend leads me to believe that they're doing just fine, even without some gun owners not giving them business. Considering the gun counter is maybe 1-2% of the entire store's inventory, and given the fact that I see plenty of cars in the parking lot each time I drive by, I just don't know that Bi-Mart is going to feel enough of an impact from this decision to even be bothered by it.

I guess we'll have to see what the long term does.

Perhaps because we delay teaching our kids responsibility ;)

I'm honored that three of your 4 posts have quoted me but I'm not sure we are getting anywhere.

I'm happy to agree to disagree.

I am glad that even if it was this slightly negitive thread that got you posting that your engaging with the comunity after being a member for so long:cool: - no sarcasm intended.

yes! it does infringe upon the bill of rights even at the federal level For no one private or majority has the right to deny a person their right to buy or own a gun.
Our forefathers would of never allowed private entity's to do these things either.
The second amendment and all the bill of rights were a way to protect the minority against the majority not to allow private entity's to deny those rights.

yes! it does infringe upon the bill of rights even at the federal level

The Bill of Rights applies to government. Not companies. If they don't want to sell to 18 year olds that's not unconstitutional. Here in Oregon it might be discrimination but probably not even there. If they just create a policy of not selling guns unless you're 21 they're in the clear. They aren't treating anyone differently. They're treating everyone the same.

The Bill of Rights applies to government. Not companies. If they don't want to sell to 18 year olds that's not unconstitutional. Here in Oregon it might be discrimination but probably not even there. If they just create a policy of not selling guns unless you're 21 they're in the clear. They aren't treating anyone differently. They're treating everyone the same.
Actually, age discrimination is illegal in Oregon, much the same way if you refused to sell to women or certain ethnic groups. They are not treating those 18-21 the same which is illegal.

Actually, age discrimination is illegal in Oregon, much the same way if you refused to sell to women or certain ethnic groups. They are not treating those 18-21 the same which is illegal.
But if they change their policy to just sell to 21 or older they're treating everyone the same. Go ahead and try to litigate bit I think you have a better chance to argue that handguns at 21 and long arms are ok at 18. I think that is more likely age discrimination.

But if they change their policy to just sell to 21 or older they're treating everyone the same. Go ahead and try to litigate bit I think you have a better chance to argue that handguns at 21 and long arms are ok at 18. I think that is more likely age discrimination.
No, they are not treating everyone the same. Think here. What they are doing is age discrimination, refusing to sell to a legal demographic of a class one is not allowed to discriminate based upon. Age is actually a protected class in Oregon for this, so it isn't treating everyone the same, it isn't treating 18-21 year olds the same as 22 year olds.

But being as I am over double 18 years of age, I would have no case.

This is the first time I've never received a response when I've sent them a message. I'm hoping they are completely overwhelmed. But more likely, they don't care.

I really, really enjoy this forum. Don't post much. But I've felt so strongly about something that SEEMS so simple. 'Age of Adulthood'. If you're an adult for one thing, why not another. Consistency would perhaps solve a lot of this. There would be winners and losers, as usual. The military might lose a lot of interested young people who may have made a big contribution or even a career. Tobacco industry may lose a legal right to a segment of the market. I don't know what the "right" age is, I just feel consistency would eliminate a lot of the "he/she can help protect this country but can't purchase a...." (beer, handgun, abortion) argument. But just so I make it clear how I feel: Lower the voting age to 16?!! Send a teenager overseas to protect this country?!! But they can't buy a handgun???!!
Get the f&$# out.
Unabashed support for all Amendments, including the 2nd.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top