JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Purchasing firearms for people prohibited from owning them, commonly known as straw purchases, would be a felony in Wisconsin if a newly introduced bill is passed into law.

Assembly Bill 524 and its counterpart, Senate Bill 408, were introduced in August by state Rep. Joe Sanfelippo, R-New Berlin, and Sen. Alberta Darling, R-River Hills. The bills are now making their way through legislative committees.

The legislation was proposed in response to gun violence in Milwaukee. In 2016, Milwaukee had 125 gun-related homicides. As of Nov. 28, the city had 93 gun-related homicides this year.

"This bill is an important step forward, making it easier for prosecutors to lock up violent criminals without infringing on the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens," Sen. Darling said in a statement when the legislation was introduced.

Under current law, a person who commits a straw purchase can be convicted of illegal possession of a firearm, face a $500 to $10,000 fine and up to nine months in prison if they lie on their firearm application. The proposed bill would make the same offense a Class H felony which carries with it a fine not more than $10,000 or imprisonment up to six years, or both.

Continue Reading: Legislation would make straw purchases for firearms a felony in Wisconsin

I would strongly endorse this kind of legislation as long as the bill was written in such a away that it actually pertained to people buying for a PROHIBITED person. Not buying a gift for someone or maybe trying to get a police discount etc. As long it was actually used to hammer someone buying for a dirt bag then yes.

Though I would think it should have a section to punish the bad guy as well. Some con gets his 21 years old new girl friend to buy him a new gat. While she has no clue of the repercussions just wants to do for her man. I don't see it as fair (yea I know we are talking about law WHATS FAIR) he doesn't have a big price to pay as well.

I've always thought a "Straw Purchase" should be a Felony. Maybe even on the Federal level. I'm not saying somebody, a Father buying for a child should not happen, but it's those who aren't supposed to have a Firearm.

I've always thought a "Straw Purchase" should be a Felony. Maybe even on the Federal level. I'm not saying somebody, a Father buying for a child should not happen, but it's those who aren't supposed to have a Firearm.

It already is
  • An illegal firearm purchase (straw purchase) is a federal crime.
  • An illegal firearm purchase can bring a felony conviction sentence of ten years in jail and a fine of up to $250,000.
Now Double illegal in Wisconsin. Its like an illegal crime but now supersized!

It is a Federal Law but it doesn't get applied anywhere near often enough. Maybe the State will do better, they can't do worse.

It is a Federal Law but it doesn't get applied anywhere near often enough. Maybe the State will do better, they can't do worse.
Agreed.

Better yet, it's a Law presumably targeting those that break the law, rather than creating loophole that can and will ensnare people that are trying to do the right thing

I'd like to see something like that done here but the locals aren't interested in making a real difference, just in making a name for themselves!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top