JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Dillion is a good machine and expensive. Yes, I have one. But, changing calibers is not exactly fast vs. just bolting on another Lee M 1000 on the bench.

You could get three Lees for the price of one Dillion. But, you'll need storage space for the Lee's. Or, a bigger bench? LOL.

Actually, I use my RCBS Rock Chucker for the rifle calibers, loading in batches if 100 or so. And, the Lees for general pistol ammo needs. My old Dillion doesn't get that much use any more.

Aloha, Mark

I've figured out the press storage - swapping only takes about a minute.

press-shelf_zpssk8i9q2e.jpg

And the bench is already 8' long - If I build another my wife will REALLY think I have issues :D

The single stage is for .308 - the three-hole for 380, 9mm, .357, & 45Colt - the four-hole for 10mm - the Pro 1000 9mm production.

If I end up getting into something like speed steel then a fully rigged up 650 is a necessity, otherwise probably stick with what I got :)

Quick update

After loading about 1,500 rounds this press and I have come to an understanding - it works near flawlessly, and I don't mention Dillon around it :D

Seriously, it took about 1,000rnds to become completely in tune with everything that's going on at once, the way it should sound and feel - and when to check component levels.

Working at a pace that allows comfortable monitoring of EVERYTHING I'm right at 450rnds an hour - a bullet feeder would probably increase it to 550/600 (thinking about getting a Hornady).

Also - last 500 were loaded with S&B SP. If anything, they run smoother and seat easier than CCI.

I hear what you're saying about the bullet feeder. I have one for my LoadMaster. I did the mods on the fingers to prevent dropping the bullets and then put the thing away. I'm too paranoid about the powder drop and want to look inside each and every case before putting a bullet on top. Like you said, could probably go quite a bit faster, but reluctant to go without the visual inspection of each case powder level.

I see that you have the explosion shield for the primer feed. The LoadMaster setup is similar but I would rather watch to make sure that primers moving down the chute on every pull.

Thanks for the heads up on the S&B primers. I bought 5k of them from Cabelas at $20/brick a few weeks ago and haven't tried them out. Glad to know that there aren't any problems with them.

I'm not really sure why people keep saying that the Lee progressives aren't for beginners. The LoadMaster is my first press and I've been able to keep it working, and quite well I might add. I'm still a beginner with only about 10k rounds through this one, but it just works. I suppose that I could work on the theory that if it aint broke, fix it until it is, but it's easy to load with it now so why mess with it?

I'm not really familiar with the LM, but the Pro 1000 seat station is in clear view when using the bullet feeder. Though I've only tried two bullets (cast 356-120 & Berry's plated 115gr) the feed system has worked flawlessly.

Good to hear your experience with the LM has been a positive one, though I stand by my position that there's simply too much going on with a progressive for the uninitiated.

Just an opinion :)

Say it this way....I wouldn't recommend a progressive press for a first time reloader. Like children....they should learn to crawl before walking or even running. Then, even after they've learned the basics, the single station still has use. I use mine for rifle ammo.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews