JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At this point in my five years the worst I have experienced from leaving the OneShot I use on my brass is my rag on my bench at the range looking a little dirty. I find my brass stays shiny for pretty much ever when I just do a quick roll in a beach towel.

(*Towel method: once all cartridges are loaded I take about 50 - 100 cartridges (6.5 in my case) that have their sizing lube left and put them on a towel, pinch the corners of each end of the towel together and just sway the cartridges back forth for about 30 seconds. Lube enough stays to keep the shine but not enough to junk storage boxes etc.)

I decap/resize on my single stage in batches of 1-200 or more and throw them in the tumbler (with corncob media & long grain rice) for an hour or so while I'm prepping the other batch of 1-200.....
It's a system (routine) I devised and am very comfortable with it.
Tumble live ammo if you wish but I will not.

I decap/resize on my single stage in batches of 1-200 or more and throw them in the tumbler (with corncob media & long grain rice) for an hour or so while I'm prepping the other batch of 1-200.....
It's a system (routine) I devised and am very comfortable with it.
Tumble live ammo if you wish but I will not.

I am with you wholeheartedly.... it's probably ok for short periods to tumble live ammo even though the reloading manuals caution against it, but I value my extremities and firearms too much to take the risk;)

I am with you wholeheartedly.... it's probably ok for short periods to tumble live ammo even though the reloading manuals caution against it, but I value my extremities and firearms too much to take the risk;)

Aside from safety which may or may not be an issue, if live ammo is run through a tumbler the bullets are going to get bumped in the process, perhaps enough to deform them slightly and reduce accuracy. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I spend a lot of time working on making my rifle cartridges as uniform as possible -- I'm very careful about the tips which deform quite easily. I'd take tarnished and accurate over shiny and a little bit randomized any day of the week.

Agree, some do it & some won't.
Here is my first attempt at converting 223/556 into 300BLK. I ended up with over 150 cases that passed the case guage test & 21 that didn't so they got thrown into the recycle bucket. I used different headstamps for this operation & the 223 cases formed easier than the 556...

20170608_230234.jpg 20170608_230346.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top