JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got a ticket today. Was northbound through Newberg, driving a delivery
truck. 2 lane, one way section of highway just at the north end of downtown.
In the left lane, with a loaded chiptruck semi on my right side since I
got into town.

Ambulance popped out onto the road from a fire station on the right, about
4 blocks behind be. By the time I heard him and saw him in my left mirror, he was
a short block back. I immediately pulled to the left curb and stopped--seemed
like the right thing to do.

Nope. ORS 811.145. You have to pull to the RIGHT curb. Two way, One way, 8 lanes
wide--doesn't matter. RIGHT curb. Record is clean, I'll do the traffic school thing etc.,
and shell out $300+. Expensive tuition to get schooled in a law.:(

The rates they charge for these citations is exorbitant. Maybe Try and work the system somehow to get out of it?

I'll do the traffic school or whatever and it won't go on my record. Pretty hard to fight it when the law
clearly says RIGHT, and I went left. Motorcycle cop, he was right behind the ambulance. When the
ambulance cut right to go around me there he was. Noisy truck, bluetooth earpiece stuck in my left ear,
and a blind spot that could hide a dumptruck behind me---I just plain didn't see it until it was almost on me,
I guess I could have gone right--probably would have got nailed for cutting the ambulance off. It is
what it is.

I see it all the time when I'm in the valley, sirens goes off, and rigs stop and pull over to the closest curb they are by. Heck I.ve seen alot of ambulances swerving into oncoming traffic on TV hwy all the time. When the cars pull into the turn lane, and those in the right hand lane goes to the curb.

Yes vehicles do all kinds of crazy stuff when they see emergency vehicles. Here is a great PSA on it, Fireman Mike - YouTube

This stuff is not that hard to figure out. Emergency vehicles should always go left of traffic, including into oncoming traffic, because all vehicles should be pulling to the right.

So what happens if a couple cars pull left so we go to the right in traffic. Now further up in the line someone follows the law and pulls to the right. The emergency vehicle can easily get blocked in or possibly hit. Some how I do hear complaints about our diving all the time yet I have NEVER heard a complaint from the person/family that called 911..............

Record is clean, I'll do the traffic school thing etc.,
and shell out $300+. Expensive tuition to get schooled in a law.:(
Depending on the insurance company, you might not even see an increase in your rates letting the ticket go on your record.

I got a speeding ticket about a year ago, clean driving record, no tickets in almost 20 yrs.

I let the ticket go on my record and paid the fine. I found it cheaper to just pay the fine and be done with it.

Why give them more money for the class just to have it off your record?

My time is worth something also.

The other revenue generator for them is when you stay in the right lane and go past a cop that has someone pulled over.

It doesn't matter if the shoulder is 12' wide.

One of their favorites in Oregon. How dare you not move over a lane out of respect and admiration, even if the safety issue is a farce and there is plenty of space .... instant ticket and you didn't care about the safety of the officer - looks great for you in court :(.

I always wondered if you have to pull to the actual curb or just the right lane.

Now do you speed up or slow down to let them by??

ORS 811.145----here's a cut-n-paste of the pertinent parts. Speed up or slow down? Neither. Stop.

You have to do it all---A, B and C. I did A, C and all of B except I went to the nearest curb, the left one. Busted.

"A person commits the offense of failure to yield to an emergency vehicle or ambulance if an ambulance or emergency vehicle that is using a visual or audible signal in a manner described under ORS 820.300 (Exemptions from traffic laws) and 820.320 (Illegal operation of emergency vehicle or ambulance) approaches the vehicle the person is operating and the person does not do all of the following:
(a) Yield the right of way to the ambulance or emergency vehicle.
(b) Immediately drive to a position as near as possible and parallel to the right-hand edge or curb of the roadway clear of any intersection.
(c) Stop and remain in such position until the emergency vehicle or ambulance has passed."

Go talk to your insurance agent and see what they have to say about this. I would go and fight it, to the point that yes you didn't pull over to the right, but yes you recognized the emergency vehicle, and you pulled over to let them by. But since you were in the left lane, you simply pulled off as quickly and safely as you can. And made sure they had safe clearance. It should get reduced, and it shouldn't affect your ins. Unless, your record has tickets already on there.

I just got a drivers manual for my oldest to study for his driving test. And its been 20+ years since I looked at one, and ALOT of stuff has changed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top