JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archives/2014/jun/odfw-osu-survey-hunters-about-use-lead-ammunition
Prediction: YOU CAN'T STOP a lead ban!
Among the misconstrued innuendoes governing the articles reported rationale;
"Because of impact on wildlife". Notice there is no mention of what that impact is other than the politician in effigy, I mean, condor. Obviously, if you shoot an animal there will be a direct impact but beyond that, they infer without specifying much. "California Condor", "Endangered Species" you get lots of key words to invite preconceived notions of bad things a happening, get the drift. The same claims were made of DDT which have since been proven false much to the travesty of the millions of preventable malaria deaths around the world since its banning.
This is a prelude, rubbing up against the public's common sense, I care, I'm a good person and want to help psyche, a seed planting if you will.
I've been to hundreds of public notice and town hall sort of gatherings over my lifetime beginning with my hand in my dad's hand and my head yet to reach his hip pocket in the 50's up till a decade ago when I finally gave up. (Going to the meetings)
Here are some truths I've gleaned from all those meetings. Here is why you can't stop it:
  1. The town hall or public notice meeting (in this case a survey) is not being held to garner your opinion or gin up a consensus.
  2. The topic for discussion and its outcome have already been decided on. Your opinion does not matter.
  3. The event is being held because it is the law. And governmental entities are required to play the charade. And make you feel you have valued input.
  4. Since sometime after the mid sixties, I cannot remember any negatively viewed topic of any such event ever not becoming a reality.
  5. In the event the majority voted down the issue at hand, eventually their will, will be overturned or just plain ignored. People who cannot come up with their own example of the will of the people being the thwarted, are either not very old or not performing their civic responsibility and paying attention. Regardless of which side of the fence you are on; Think Max line, Marriage issue, and though voted down dozens of times, Sales tax, we'll have one yet, you'll see. Many years ago Oregon's measure 5, (removing school funding from property taxes) and is still geographically inequitable and depending on location still partially subsidized with property assessment, Immigration, border security, our Constitution, need I go on?
For those who would feel a leadless bullet is a do able compromise what's the problem? You are not capable of philosophical or even rational prepense and would be well advised to seek respected advice before voting. The reality of it is, naturally occurring and useful lead is a miniscule distraction in the grand scheme of things but if allowed to be further denigrated out of existents will impact the rest of everyone's life forever along with the continued loss of your ability to choose. What is happening to our country is like having termites. Sometimes you can hear them chewing, but usually its dead silent right up until your house falls down. Unfortunately we cannot spray our way out of destruction but we can tear down their tunnels and bring them to light, they can't stand the truth.
Oregon may not have condors but we have a ton of turkey vultures, crows, Black birds, coyotes, all eating shot carcasses if given the chance, they don't seem to be endangered by lead. If you receive one of these surveys, be very careful, most are specifically designed to elicit an agenda related response, that is why there are not any boxes to fill in your own comments. Instead call or write in with your opine.

I think in Australia, you pretty much can't shoot ungilded or uncoated ("paint" coated slugs are big biz there) lead slugs at ranges.. and about the only place a swingin dick can shoot over there is at a range.

Darn so I guess I will be taking all my lead ingots to the recyclers.. :(
I'm sure it will take a while but my thoughts exactly. I don't smelt but I do use a ton of cast to afford shooting my 45 colt and 45-70 on a monthly to bi monthly basis. When your born in a cage I assume you have a different view of things but when you were born in the land of the free (comparatively speaking) It's hard to not be bitter as you helplessly watch our freedoms flushed into the sewer.

And thus will be the death of gun ownership unless the feds change things re: "armor piercing" ammo - since there are no viable, affordable alternatives to lead ammo for handguns. There's not enough copper to make enough all copper bullets, and other heavy metals like Tungsten are too hard.

I've largely switched from lead split shot to non-lead alternatives with my fly fishing gear - and the non-lead shot is 2-3x more expensive. It also is more brittle and harder than lead and gets lost more, because most of the time it just lets go of the line and falls off.

If ammo developers are allowed to innovate without fear of ATF reprisals, I'm sure they can come up with an alloy that would be a good augment to all-copper rounds and offer expansion capability, but I am sure we'll be paying heartily for it. Poor people will be pushed out of being able to legally obtain ammo. Ammo theft will likely increase, and that will be used for calls to tighten the availability of ammunition.

If they can't get the guns through the law, they'll choke off the ammo and just make it prohibitively expensive to obtain and shoot. The antis demand more training (those who aren't for all-out bans) - but how do you do that if you can't afford to shoot?

And I'm sure there will be exceptions made for law enforcement and military ammo suppliers. They can't be saddled with sub-par ammunition, of course. That is for the citizenry...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top