JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I guy at work that knows I'm 'firearm friendly' asked me today if his old felony DUI would stop him from legally owning a firearm. The DUI is around 20 yrs old. I told him I thought he was S.O.L., but does anyone here know anything specific? Statute that I can direct him too... etc. :confused:
Thanks, Rich

His one possible option to research would be if his felony DUII would only be a misdemeanor had it happened today. If that is true, he can get a lawyer and possibly get it changed to a misdemeanor. That's the only option, since traffic related offenses cannot be expunged.

I gout a DUII about 9 years ago, did the diversion thing, cost me a little over $5,000 by the time I was all done.

I didn't loose my right to possess firearms, and I am now CWP eligible. But I did learn a lesson, don't drink and drive even if it's only driving home 2 blocks from your buddies house.

It is possible to get firearm rights restored with a felony as I have done this. I have got a Oregon CHL, and a Washington CHL with a felony still on my record. Here is the thread where I sort of explain the process.http://www.northwestfirearms.com/legal-political/47687-oregon-cwp.html Also here is a link to the Oregon statute for more info. ORS 166.274 - Relief from prohibition against possessing or purchasing firearm - 2011 Oregon Revised Statutes I did use a lawyer for the restoration of my rights, but it can be done without one. The petition, and collecting all the info on what I was doing for the previous 10 years took longer than the 15 minute court appearance.

Thanks guys! And a follow up...
His wife has a clean record and he/they are looking for a home defense weapon, not CHL.
Could his wife buy a gun/rifle/shotgun for the home?
Would he be a 'felon in possesion', if it was in the home in her name?
Rich.

Best for him to hire an attorney to see if he is eligible to petition the courts to restore his rights. I have seen all kinds of People successfully petition on all kinds of charges. Even people with more than one non driving felony. You never know worth a try.

It cost me about $1500 for the attorney to file the paperwork, and basically that is all he did. If I were to do it all over I would just pay the $240 filing fee and it's a 50/50 for 2 reason's. One depends on the circumstances of your conviction; like if you have more than one felony. Second depends on if the judge follows the law or follows their feelings. Either way it's worth it to get a right back.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top