JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Lane County is too cash-strapped to enforce the state's new background check law on private gun sales, the county's board of commissioners said today.

After more than 90 minutes of debate that covered everything from the Constitutional origins of the Second Amendment to the difference between the words "as" and "are" in a sentence, commissioners passed a resolution reaffirming their support of the right to bear arms, and opposition to what they call an unfunded mandate created by Senate Bill 941.

The Oregon Legislature passed SB 941, and Gov. Kate Brown signed it into law last month. Proponents say it closes a loophole that lets criminals evade the background check system. Opponents argue it infringes on their Second Amendment rights, and won't stop criminals from getting guns.

Commissioner Jay Bozievich requested the issue be brought up for discussion earlier this year.

"There are times when we need to let legislative bodies above us know about what the residents of Lane County, more than 300,000 residents, believe is important," Bozievich said.

The Oregon legislature freely admitted SB941 would do little to curb gun violence. But they got all that Bloomberg money and had to show they could do something to keep it coming. Progressive liberalism at it's best. Show you care by doing something, feel warm and fuzzy about it, nothing is fixed, tax payers foot the bill and still get re-elected. What a great country. :rolleyes:

Im sure Ceasefire Oregon will step in a pay the county to get some new officers. Its such an important issue to them.

Penny Oakamoto ?. I don't think she can do anything but lie and push her wicked thought process using Bloomburg lies.

Im pretty sure they are using their donation budget for the good of man. Here is the email, ask them if a donation will go to supporting Lane county hiring new officers to aid in background checks.

[email protected]

:D

Dr. bolus, with all due respect, and Feeling the Sarcasm Factor in your post....
I would not waste a single Electron, to ask that organization for as little as the time of Day, let alone something Serious, like their Anti Human Rights attitude!!!!

Sincerely,

philip, who believes you are best off leaving sleeping dragons ~Sleeping~!!!!!

You are correct Heretic the state police do the background checks. Out of 35 counties in Oregon now 26 have said they will not enforce SB 941 so will enforcement be on the state police only ?

You are correct Heretic the state police do the background checks. Out of 35 counties in Oregon now 26 have said they will not enforce SB 941 so will enforcement be on the state police only ?
I do not doubt you in the least but did you get this number from a constantly compiling number of statements or was there a nice succinct article that I would love to read and share?

SB941 is a sad commentary on the affairs of Oregon. The entire state is broke....bankrupt. The sucking sound we hear is PERS, unemployment, thousands of homeless, young adults that can not graduate from high school in 4 years, school kids that are without food during the summer months when school is closed............................the list is long.

What does Salem do? Pass laws to make more criminals of law abiding citizens. Adolf Eichmann, aka Sen Prozanski, needs more criminals for the final solution in Oregon.

Foreverlost,

:s0140:

Cease Fire Oregon and the Every Town idiots thought that somehow they were going to pull a Colorado on us.

They thought every county was just like Multnomah. The Sheriffs of those 26 counties have decided that they would rather fill their jails and spend their money on catching real criminals who are harming the community, instead of trying to track down a report of a rumor about someone who sold a gun to who, and when, with what paperwork, with whozits what's signature, who may or may not have sold it once before.....

Nice to see the shots across the bow of this law have morphed into direct hits...:D

The OSP will gladly put you in state prison if you think you can ignore the law.

They have allocated a number of OSP staff to enforce this law in the field, not just answering phones. I am betting they will be setting up stings too. The OSP reports to the governor's office and gladly do its bidding because that is where its money and power comes from.

Sheriffs don't run run around making sure gun shops or gun buyers comply with state law - they never did. It is nice to know that most sheriffs don't like the law, but their statements are just morale support, not anything effective and it certainly doesn't gut the law.

You can also bet that Salem and Portland city police will setup stings too, probably a number of other cities also.

The OSP will gladly put you in state prison if you think you can ignore the law.

They have allocated a number of OSP staff to enforce this law in the field, not just answering phones. I am betting they will be setting up stings too. The OSP reports to the governor's office and gladly do its bidding because that is where its money and power comes from.

Sheriffs don't run run around making sure gun shops or gun buyers comply with state law - they never did. It is nice to know that most sheriffs don't like the law, but their statements are just morale support, not anything effective and it certainly doesn't gut the law.

You can also bet that Salem and Portland city police will setup stings too, probably a number of other cities also.

I work in this field, I have good friends in this field of work at the state, county and local level and I promise you that getting right out there to enforce this law ranks right up there with taking vandalism reports and answering 911 calls for loud barking dogs.

I know people in OSP (relatives and ex relatives) and I know people who work with them in the governor's office and outside too. The upper management in OSP is all too happy to do what the governor wants them to do, and that trickles down.

As I said, the OSP will be the enforcement arm for this law, not county, especially not county LE that has said they want nothing to do with it.

The LEO on the street more or less does what their bosses tell them to do - especially the OSP, which reports to Salem, not county or city. You can also bet Portland city will buy into this too.

Here's something fun:

"This is just a way for Republicans to curry favor with Oregon firearms advocates," Penny Okamoto, executive director of Ceasefire Oregon, a non-profit organization that aims to reduce gun violence, said on Wednesday.

"Do they mean to tell me the sheriff won't prosecute the person who provided a murderer, illegally, with a gun?" Okamoto said."

Earth to Penny: It was already illegal before to provide a murderer with a firearm.

http://news.yahoo.com/oregon-county-vote-against-enforcing-state-gun-law-030838562.html

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top