JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Programmed tunnel vision and will not accept any other input. Right , wrong or indifferent or another way to look at the problem will not be accepted.

So I'm trying to bask in the glory of my county sheriff as well, a Dem, but generally seems to be a supporter of the RKBA. So, if I'm a Bloomie minion, I'm thinking "yeah, we won, but now enforcement seems to be an issue...and you know, we really can't have LEO's that don't want to enforce the law, easy sell." 30,000 votes in Cowlitz Co last election, can't be that hard to tip the scales.
Major kudos to Sheriff Nelson, and those others out there trying to stand up for our rights. I can only guess that in certain circles they are taking some heat.

From the OSP Website. Please note the underlined areas:

OSP's Investigative Actions to Firearm Denials
On June 17, 2014, OSP began implementing changes to its procedures related to violations of state law involving persons attempting an unlawful firearm transfer through a licensed firearm dealer, during a private party check, or at a gun show. In addition, OSP also began investigating all instances of firearms being sold or transferred that are flagged as stolen. Subsequently, the OSP FICS Unit began notifying OSP Troopers or other Oregon Law Enforcement agencies of denied firearm transactions and/or stolen firearm transactions for immediate investigation. Below is a list of several investigative actions in which OSP Troopers or partner Oregon Law Enforcement agencies may handle firearm transaction denials:

· Arrest-Custody – Individual is arrested, taken into custody, and processed at a jail.
· Citation in Lieu of Custody – Individual receives a citation and a date to appear in court in lieu of being taken into custody and processed at a jail.
· Active Investigation – Trooper is still investigating the circumstances of the attempted purchase and denial.
· Investigation Complete–No Action – Trooper finished investigation and determined extraneous circumstances did not warrant an arrest, citation, or any other action.
· Referred to District Attorney – Trooper finishes investigation and determines that the District Attorney needs to review for possible criminal charges.
· Referred to Local Jurisdictions – Investigation is referred to the local law enforcement agency.
· Challenge/Appeal – Trooper advised an individual of the FICS challenge process after investigating a denied transaction and concluded no enforcement action was warranted. For example, there are occasions where the most current court action wasn't available for the FICS background check, which if available would allow the individual to purchase a firearm.

So in a predominantly rural county (like Lane County), where the troopers office has a workload for things like fatality traffic accidents or drug running on I-5, my guess is that setting up a sting to catch people who might want to sell a gun without a background check won't be a high priority.

I would guess that in the 26 counties that have said that it is a non-starter, that any referrals by the troopers to have the county sheriff do it are going to end up in the small round "in" box next to the desk on the floor.

This will be exactly how the counties will not be enforcing this law.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top