JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just shake my head when some people get around rope...

The lack of education in basic life skills in these days still makes me sick.

It's not even being replaced by software developers or engineers - it's being replaced by kids who's main skills are playing video games....

I just shake my head when some people get around rope...

The lack of education in basic life skills in these days still makes me sick.

It's not even being replaced by software developers or engineers - it's being replaced by kids who's main skills are playing video games....

Hey, you're a gamer, yeah? o_O

Besides, my granny said we're KNOT supposed to judge others... my granny could tie a mean knot, she even has one named after her... the granny-knot! :D

Unfortunately, I was never presented with an opportunity to be a Boy Scout. I learned knots, splices, bends and hitches when I worked off shore as a line tender, then a commercial diver. I also taught myself how to hand sharpen knives, start fires, and more.

It's just one of the better sites (imho) that I have found for people wanting refreshers or just starting to learn.

Anyhow, all good. Glad folks like it.

One handy thing is to install one of the knot apps on your smart phone. Then you always have the knowledge with you even if you haven't tied that knot in the last year.

Knot that I'm opposed to learning knots... but I mean, how often does Mr. Suburbia ever need to tie anything more important than his shoes?

I learned one or two knots in the army (square knot, munter hitch), but I didn't learn any real knotsmanship (no, that's not a real word) till I started doing high-angle work and climbing. And even still - as someone who puts his very life "on the line," literally, on a regular basis - I only remember a handful of knots that are important for various tasks, and would have to look up instructions to remember how to tie any others.

Figure 8, square, overhand, alpine butterfly, clove hitch, fisherman's bend, water bend, various followthrough bends... pretty much all you need. But more importantly, knowing which can do what, and which can ROLL if used incorrectly... that's the real trick.

And no, nobody needs to know a damn bowline. I've literally never once needed or used a bowline for anything.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top