JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
when I was a kid, the most violent thing was seeing Macbeth and the guy finished off another soldier with a flail. It was like 3 quick hits to the back and yes, I was a huge fan of mass weapons after that

JKD theory is we use what wins, (or works in the real world) from China, the Phillipines, Western Boxing, French Savate, etc

Im not a martial artist which is why I would never wish a close contact fight. for me, id rather be the guy about 1k yards away with the rifle rather then be the guy in the front.

I still love warhammers, maces as well as flails.

Im not a martial artist which is why I would never wish a close contact fight. for me, id rather be the guy about 1k yards away with the rifle rather then be the guy in the front.

I still love warhammers, maces as well as flails.

Thing is we cannot usually choose combat distance

Edgar Sulite is wrong ?

No, they are nearly the same art except They have morphed into slightly different arts over the centuries and Kali is the most original. All 3 are great fighting arts

Mother Goddess as Kali - The Feminine Force in Indian Art

An uncle of mine who was CIA in Vietnam married a girl from Thailand who gave us as a gift a painting of Kali. Maybe it was prophetic in that I was destined to learn this art

No, they are nearly the same art except They have morphed into slightly different arts over the centuries and Kali is the most original. All 3 are great fighting arts

Mother Goddess as Kali - The Feminine Force in Indian Art

An uncle of mine who was CIA in Vietnam married a girl from Thailand who gave us as a gift a painting of Kali. Maybe it was prophetic in that I as destined to learn this art

Where have you heard there is an Indian connection btw ?

Multiple theories exist on the origin of term Kali:

One belief is that the word comes from tjakalele,[5] a tribal style of stick-fencing from Indonesia. This is supported by the similarities between tjakalele and eskrima techniques, as well as Mindanao's proximity to Indonesia.
Kali may be a portmanteau of the Cebuano words "kamot", or "kamay" meaning hand in Tagalog, and "lihok", meaning motion.[6][7]
In the Ilocano dialect, kali means to dig and to stab.[8]
There exist numerous similar terms of reference for martial arts such as kalirongan, "kalibanga", kaliradman and pagkalikali. These may be the origin of the term kali or they may have evolved from it.[5]
In his book KALI - History of a Forbidden Filipino Fighting Arts, Fred Lazo put forward that Kali was an ancient root word for blade, and that the Filipino words for right hand (kanan) and left hand (kaliwa) are contractions of the terms "way of the blade" (kali daanan) and "without blade" (kali wala) as weapons are usually held with the right hand and the left hand is typically empty.[9]
In their book Cebuano Eskrima: Beyond the Myth however, Dr. Ned Nepangue and Celestino Macachor contend that the term Kali in reference to Filipino martial arts did not exist until the 1960s when two well-known eskrimadors in the United States popularized it to distinguish what they taught from other styles.
Since eskrima and arnis are derived from Spanish words, the preference for the term kali by foreigners may be due to its lack of a definitive foreign origin and an attempt to preserve authenticity of a name that has otherwise been lost to history.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, was busy with the wife and reading Raphael Sabatini

Here are a few pics I took with a camera from the book, which until I did a google search for it, never realized there were corresponding documentary videos you can find in the google search, above

2013_12_22_205_4384b3311dc0ea722e0d.jpg

Speed and inflicting dozens of disabling cuts in seconds is the only way you will survive a knife fight. Wrists, tendons, arms, leg or ankle tendons , femoral, neck then body. Not a pleasant way to fight under any condition.
You pray they bleed out before iou do.
If your opponent has any ability at all, you probably will lose even if you win.
Its a final option tool or a stealth tool, but I prefer my rifle or 45.
my Randal loves to stay sheathed.

What is it, if under 25 feet or something, a guy with a knife will be on you before you draw or something? I cant imagine though fighting a guy that knew how to knife fight, even with a gun. even if you get a shot off and kill him, i bet you end up bleeding out.

Its the 21 foot rule. Also called the Tueller Drill. A guy with a knife can cover 21 feet of ground before you can draw your weapon and fire. The drill assumes the gun guy is stationary. If the gun guy sidesteps a couple steps then the knife guys momentum will carry him past. This will buy the gun guy maybe an extra second.

Here is Dan Inosanto explaining how Wing Chun morphed into Bruce's version of JKD. As a side note JKD is a concept that has morphed since Bruce's death, and each instructor can teach it a little differently. We seek to be enlightened as to better ways of combat. In fact I've studied in arts such as Praying Mantis and reverse engineered a few moves that are so obvious but are not taught as PM kata, today (we don't use kata or hard forms) I have only taught these techniques to a few more advanced students

As to a knife fight, you may get cut and maybe not, there are many variables, including relative ability and if your opponent is crazy or hopped up, etc. In some circumstances in many states an unarmed defender can legally use a blade, cane, whatever against multiple unarmed attackers or a badly overmatched attacker. Think a 70 year old man against a 18 year old thug

Thanks for posting this. Although this is only evidence of existence of an Indian combat system, not that system being the base of the Eskrima. Wikipedia article talks about possible Indian influences and possibly even origins, but also as a theory.

As Eskrima was an art practiced by the peasant or commoner class (as opposed to nobility or warrior classes), most practitioners lacked the scholarly education to create any kind of written record. While the same can be said of many martial arts, this is especially true for Eskrima because almost all of its history is anecdotal, oral or promotional. The origin of Eskrima can be traced back to the fighting systems used by Filipinos during internal conflicts. Settlers and traders travelling through the Malay Archipelago brought the influence of silat as well as Chinese and Indian martial arts.[10][11] Some of the population still practices localised Chinese fighting methods known as kuntaw.

It has also been theorized that the Filipino art of Eskrima may have roots with India and that it was brought to the Philippines by people who traveled through Indonesia and Malaysia to the Philippine islands. Indonesian Tjakalele and Malay Silat Melayu are two forms of combat said to have been introduced to the Philippines via these regions.[12] Silambam, a stick/staff based ancient martial art of India influenced many martial arts in Asia like Silat. As such, Eskrima may share ancestry with these systemssome Eskrima moves have similarities to the short stick (kali or kaji) and other weapon based fighting styles of Silambam.

What is known for certain is that when the Spaniards first arrived in the Philippines, they saw an already-developed weapons-based martial arts practiced by the natives.

The proof is in the techniques, research it and I think you will agree. If you watch the related video you will see guntings and stick patterns that are identical, and that the Indian systems were the oldest. Also get an atlas and look how close the two cultures were

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top