JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Furor in Seattle: Did man die for whittling, or posing a clear threat?

"..Perhaps not since the David Walker incident in which Walker was fatally shot by a Seattle officer after allegedly pulling a robbery, and then prancing and walking down a sidewalk – ignoring demands by several cops to drop the knife he held – has the public been fixated on a “knife versus gun” situation..."

<broken link removed>

Or try this:

<broken link removed>

Weird enough, I passed a guy on the pier Saturday next to the Seattle Aquarium who was whittling wood with a fixed blade knife. No idea if it was the same person, we have a lot of that junk around the market.

Also weird, I usually walk through that intersection with my dog around 4PM every day, but instead I decided to play a video game. Yay for lazy!

There are some rules that allow fixed blades in public under certain circumstances. Can you openly have a fixed blade knife in WA while sitting and whittling gypsy crap for tourons? How I've read it, sure. But numb nuts was acting in a manner that was threatening where his tool now became a dangerous weapon. Thus shot in the face.

For those that don't know the area. That intersection and surrounding area is a ****hole. It's surrounded by a youth center, several public housing buildings and a few condemned buildings. The Greyhound bus station and Seattle Metro bus tunnel are only a few blocks away which drag in some highly questionable characters. As someone who has dealt with threatening people on this very street, seeing people fight, hook, deal, piss and puke in the area. It's honestly not hard to believe, even in broad daylight.

Don't know the details,but a knife is a dangerous arm to fool with, if someone advances to you with a knife and makes a threating gesture, the 21 foot rule is something that should be understood. This isn't a Hollywood movie, this is real life and some dumb educated people better realize the line you cross while displaying a weapon and make a gesture with it, you don't shoot to wound or wing the person. I feel sorry for the officer who had to use his gun, but in a life or death situation, your own fanny comes first. Being a policeman in todays disney-liberal society is hard. Bill

For those that don't know the area. That intersection and surrounding area is a ****hole. It's surrounded by a youth center, several public housing buildings and a few condemned buildings. The Greyhound bus station and Seattle Metro bus tunnel are only a few blocks away which drag in some highly questionable characters. As someone who has dealt with threatening people on this very street, seeing people fight, hook, deal, piss and puke in the area. It's honestly not hard to believe, even in broad daylight. Don't know the details,but a knife is a dangerous arm to fool with, if someone advances to you with a knife and makes a threating gesture, the 21 foot rule is something that should be understood. This isn't a Hollywood movie, this is real life and some dumb educated people better realize the line you cross while displaying a weapon and make a gesture with it, you don't shoot to wound or wing the person. I feel sorry for the officer who had to use his gun, but in a life or death situation, your own fanny comes first. Being a policeman in todays disney-liberal society is hard. Bill

I know that area too, quite well...used to live a couple blocks away. A real festering hole. In this instance, I agree with the cop covering his own ***.

Last edited by a moderator:
"For those that don't know the area. That intersection and surrounding area is a ****hole. "

I think TANSTAAFL is wrong on this. It's not a ****hole, it's a ****hole and a half. I avoid that area like the plague.

I know that area too, quite well...used to live a couple blocks away. A real festering hole. In this instance, I agree with the cop covering his own ***.

The slow in the economy somewhat hurt the area though. A couple other buildings were going to go up and the Greyhound station was going away. Not so much now. There are two new high rise condo/apartment-home buildings down the street, a year old. In the price range of 1800-2500/mo for a single bedroom in the apartment homes. While people *****, these chic urban dwellings push out the grunge--&#224; la Bellevue, the sparkling city. Amazon's 11 additional buildings in South Lake Union this year has cleaned up a lot of the immediate area.

Last edited by a moderator:
In other stories I've read that Birk and Williams had a bit of a history; Birk only has two years on the force; and the entry wounds were in Williams side, not front. Williams had a rap sheet, but nothing major league.

This particular story does not reflect well on the SPD.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top