JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Alexander police officer surrenders to State Police in connection to shooting death of another officer

Administrative handling of the weapon,
" Salyers grabbed his gun and went to answer. He says when he transferred the gun from his right hand to his left to open the door, he accidentally fired through the door, "

I had seen the initial reports of this, and usually, they included the inciting words that the officer planned to shoot thru the door - that was his intent to deal with anti-cop protestors.

https://www.newsweek.com/arkansas-police-officer-shoot-protesters-1517857

His story does not make sense. Why would you use your strong side hand to open the door if you still thought you may need the gun? He can't use his off side hand to open a damn door? If he cant open a door with his weak side how would he be able to use his gun with the weak side if he needed it? Sounds like some real incompetence at work here.

I think the term is Test-lying....we will see if the Jury calls him on it. I guess we will see who has more pull with the local LE Union; the shooter or the victim. Actually, I don't think we ever will see if the Jury calls him on it...

Prediction: Plea deal down to a misdemeanor; no jail time, case dismissed on a Friday before a major holiday. No one in that county wants to see this go to trial.
LEO (shooter) will agree to quit force, but keep Certification. later will work for a Sheriff's Office

I wonder if I would get the same treatment (or any other LEO) if I shot a LEO through my front door?????

Last Edited:
I think the term is Test-lying....we will see if the Jury calls him on it. I guess we will see who has more pull with the local LE Union; the shooter or the victim. Actually, I don't think we ever will see if the Jury calls him on it...

Prediction: Plea deal down to a misdemeanor; no jail time, case dismissed on a Friday before a major holiday. No one in that county wants to see this go to trial.
LEO (shooter) will agree to quit force, but keep Certification. later will work for a Sheriff's Office
LEO (Victim) will take a medical pension; move to FL (maybe Texas)....where he will work at a Gun Store; and be a part time LEO on the side...while collecting full State Pension Benefits

I wonder if I would get the same treatment (or any other LEO) if I shot a LEO through my front door?????
Sadly he killed the guy on the other side of the door. I can see the County wanting to make this go away but there is just no way this guy will ever be a Cop anywhere again if he avoids prison time.
As for anyone else? Well we all know what would happen.

I hate saying this, but he should go to jail.

Through his carelessness, another Officer lost his life and ruined the lives of all around him.

There's no excuses for that.
It was no accident, it was carelessness. There's a big difference.

I hate saying this, but he should go to jail.

Through his carelessness, another Officer lost his life and ruined the lives of all around him.

There's no excuses for that.
It was no accident, it was carelessness. There's a big difference.

This. A mistake is making a wrong turn. An accident is bumping into someone at the store. This is criminal negligence in the best case scenario.

Sad, and should never have occurred! Sounds like a lack of training as well as a "Lack of judgement" issue.... What kind of cops do they hire down there in the Ozarks, anyway? A life taken, a life ruined, and a lot of other people harmed by the loss of their loved ones- one to death and the other to prison...

"I'm the only one in this room professional enough that I know of to carry this Glock 40."

More derp.

Whole thing is messed up, poor guys get's taken out by his own team member and it was 100% preventable, makes me wonder if it was deliberate.

Do they not proofread news stories before they are posted/published?

Inside the residence, off-duty Alexander Police Officer Nicholas Salyers and his girlfriend, Ashlee Cummings were laying on the couch watching a movie. When they heard the Cummings were laying on the couch watching a movie.

When they heard the CUMMINGS were laying on the couch watching a movie?

So they go from Salyers and Cummings as being two different people to the 'THE CUMMINGS' were laying on the couch? As though they are married ?

I realize this is trivial however I read a LOT of news stories and I seem to find a lot of similar dissuasive verbiage in the stories as well.

This is premeditated! Not this particular person, but he did tell another officer that" If protesters come to my house I'm going to shoot them thru the door" And was told you can't do that. The investigation showed signs of the gun being pressed against the door, next to the peephole. He also stated on the 911 call " I looked through the peephole and all I could see is a dark figure with a gun on his belt"
I definitely don't feel sorry for the shooter. His actions are the kind I want to see gone out of the police departments.He showed no discipline, poor judgement and had a preconceived fear protesters
were coming to his house Not one of us here would get away with this. Only a15k bail no manslaughter charge?Really!!!!
Personally I'm glad he's not going to be a cop anymore. And no I'm not anti police, but I'm tired of how many bad ones are hired.

Stacy

Personally I'm glad he's not going to be a cop anymore. And no I'm not anti police, but I'm tired of how many bad ones are hired.
I was discussing this just the other day with a close friend who is a retired LEO for a large Oregon City and it is his estimation probably 75% of LEOs should not be LEOs.

While I may be 'passing judgement' I wonder if there was alcohol involved with this?

Hey, they were on the couch watching a movie, maybe pounding a few down - not that there is anything wrong with this as long as Salyers was off duty but it is a possibility.

A $50 wifi camera system could have prevented this. If you are truly afraid to "see who is at the door" why bother going to it at all, just pull up the phone and take a look at what the camera shows.

Classic Rosie
Capture.JPG

A $50 wifi camera system could have prevented this. If you are truly afraid to "see who is at the door" why bother going to it at all, just pull up the phone and take a look at what the camera shows.
And an even CHEAPER system...
"Who's there?" That would have worked, I think. I wonder how that guy EVER got on the police force. Better psych screening is needed, as well as a state-based academy for ALL cops working in any particular state. Way past time for this. What I mean is this:

States need to establish a comprehensive training academy that ALL cops in a particular state MUST attend and pass successfully...BEFORE being handed a badge, whether it is for a city, the county, Sheriff Department, whatever...just like the State Patrol guys do. WAY past time for this. You want professionally-trained cops everywhere? This is the way to do it.

The Washington State Patrol academy is located in Shelton, WA. And I've had weird run-ins with a few cops in my lifetime, but never from a WSP officer. Those guys are for the most part...professionals. All cops need to be educated and trained for the job, not just State cops. Yeah...I know that local and county cops 'get trained,' too. But it isn't the same as going to a full-fledged academy. You want to change cops, get better cops? They need to be comprehensively trained everywhere in this manner. The bad ones will (mostly) get weeded out.

And an even CHEAPER system...
"Who's there?" That would have worked, I think. I wonder how that guy EVER got on the police force. Better psych screening is needed, as well as a state-based academy for ALL cops working in any particular state. Way past time for this. What I mean is this:

States need to establish a comprehensive training academy that ALL cops in a particular state MUST attend and pass successfully...BEFORE being handed a badge, whether it is for a city, the county, Sheriff Department, whatever...just like the State Patrol guys do. WAY past time for this. You want professionally-trained cops everywhere? This is the way to do it.

The Washington State Patrol academy is located in Shelton, WA. And I've had weird run-ins with a few cops in my lifetime, but never from a WSP officer. Those guys are for the most part...professionals. All cops need to be educated and trained for the job, not just State cops. Yeah...I know that local and county cops 'get trained,' too. But it isn't the same as going to a full-fledged academy. You want to change cops, get better cops? They need to be comprehensively trained everywhere in this manner. The bad ones will (mostly) get weeded out.

Agreed asking who is there is a stupid simple way that could have prevented this, I was thinking along the lines of a cop concerned about being attacked at home, answering the door with a "whose there" would place him in danger if someone was genuinely there to do him harm.

The cheap camera option provides details that could then make the "whose there" approach less dangerous because he could assess the individual before even asking.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top