JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been searching google and found too much information. I live in vancouver washington and work in portland, or. What type of knife can I legally carry in both places? what is considered NOT concealed. Ive seen the laws but I can't understand them with out a lawyer. Even then they would probably say its there best interpretation and isn't 100% lol. Can anyone answer these questions for me to the best of your knowledge...

What knife is legal to carry in both vancouver & portland not concealed?

What has to be done for a knife to not be concealed?

Also for fun, are there any restrictions on knives in my home in washington?

Thanks

I am not sure on Wa laws, but in Or there is no length limit on knives. Also you may carry a switch blade, dagger, or some other knife that is opened by centrifugal force as long as it is not concealed. A lot of police officers do not really know that law and think that is it illegal to carry butterfly knifes, stilettos, et alia, but as long as it is not concealed you are fine. Make sure if you do conceal a knife in Or, that you can articulate to an officer that it is a "pocket knife." As long as the knife clip is visible, then the knife is not concealed. This is where the law gets fuzzy as there is not a good definition on what exactly a "pocket knife" is. While I was volunteering with the Portland Police I asked a lot about the knife laws and read up on it to confirm what the police were saying was true. I hope that cleared up a little bit on the Or laws.

Balisongs, switch blades or any knife that opens by gravity, spring action or a wrist flick is illegal in WA.

*** CHANGE IN 2012 *** (SEE 2347-S.SL) ***

RCW 9.41.250
Dangerous weapons — Penalty — Exemption for law enforcement officers.

(1) Every person who:

(a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or

(c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm unless the suppressor is legally registered and possessed in accordance with federal law,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

(2) Subsection (1)(a) of this section does not apply to:

(a) The possession of a spring blade knife by a law enforcement officer while the officer:

(i) Is on official duty; or

(ii) Is transporting the knife to or from the place where the knife is stored when the officer is not on official duty; or

(b) The storage of a spring blade knife by a law enforcement officer.

[2011 c 13 § 1; 2007 c 379 § 1; 1994 sp.s. c 7 § 424; 1959 c 143 § 1; 1957 c 93 § 1; 1909 c 249 § 265; 1886 p 81 § 1; Code 1881 § 929; RRS § 2517.]

RCW 9.41.270
Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm — Unlawful carrying or handling — Penalty — Exceptions.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

(2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to or affect the following:

(a) Any act committed by a person while in his or her place of abode or fixed place of business;

(b) Any person who by virtue of his or her office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to preserve public safety, maintain public order, or to make arrests for offenses, while in the performance of such duty;

(c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself or herself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person;

(d) Any person making or assisting in making a lawful arrest for the commission of a felony; or

(e) Any person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments.

[1994 sp.s. c 7 § 426; 1969 c 8 § 1.]

I stopped by the Clark County Court house today and spoke with a sheriff's deputy about knife laws and any preemptions clause dealing with state laws.

No preemptions from the state, "it is what it is where ever you are" That was his Answer to me.

Though one thing during this whole conversation he sure seemed to be inconvenienced by having to talked to me.

So my conclusion for a grab n stab thats legal state wide is a 3 inch blade.

No on balisongs and switch blades in WA.
And a fixed blade has to be open carried,not hidden by a coat or shirt.
Pocket knives,I believe as stated are 'supposed' to be under 3",but even in CA,they don't care if you ain't an idiot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top