JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
HAPPY NEW YEARS EVE Y'all!!!!!!!!!!!

I just have a quick question.... Please forgive me as I'm sure its an easy answer, but I have a kimber pro cdp ii 4" 1911 that has reached its recoil spring life and needs to be upgraded. Its been shot well passed the 800 round referance point. I was on kimbers site this monring and saw that they have a tune up sping kit for the pro models and a spring tune up kit for compact models. Does anyone know which kit I need. Again I have a 4" pistol, so I'm thinking I go for the tune up kit for the compact models?? Also, should I be looking at spring kits outside kimber???? Does anyone have any links or experiences with others. Your insight is always appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

E

LMT
Are you certain you need to replace your springs?
My 5" Kimber is still on the original set of springs and I have shot way beyond the 800 number you state.

Sheldon

Hey Sheldon...

I picked this kimber from another member who at the time was unsure of the round count. I've put atleast 1k through this awesome pistol and know I have FTE every round now as well as a really weak recoil spring. I'll probably give kimber a call after the holiday. Any insight of what kit to get??? Thanks for the reply

I went with Wolff springs (good stuff) in my Custom II (5"). I picked up a 14lb and 16lb depending on if I'm shooting softer reloads or full power stuff, but it all worked with the 16lb spring so I left it in and kept the 14lb as a spare.
<broken link removed>
I think they were like $15 for the pair at the time.

Look into the new flat wire recoil springs- Nighthawk and Wilson offer them now. They are rated for some insane number of rounds... 10,000 or so. I have the Nighthawk version on my full size Springfield Operator. Perfect.

Stock commander spring I believe is 18 pounds and can be had at Midway for about $8. If you get the Wolf Variable they normally come with a new firing pin spring too. Wolf's are usually good for about 3K rounds. Buy 4 or 5 since you're paying shipping anyway!

I have a kimber pro cdp ii 4" 1911

and saw that they have a tune up sping kit for the pro models and a spring tune up kit for compact models. Does anyone know which kit I need.

If getting it from Kimber keep in mind their 4" models are all called "Pro". If buying your spring from Wolff (recommended) or somewhere else you'll be looking for a 22lb Commander spring if you want the stock recoil spring for Kimber. It's ok to go with a different spring poundage, but it usually depends on what you're shooting. Read this short blog and you'll be set to make those decisions.

<broken link removed>

I contacted Wolff about new springs for one of my Ultra Kimbers (3" barrel), they pretty much said I'd probably never need them and I didn't need to bother ordering them, so I didn't.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

I contacted Wolff about new springs for one of my Ultra Kimbers (3" barrel), they pretty much said I'd probably never need them and I didn't need to bother ordering them, so I didn't.

If you don't shoot it much or you just use it for carry, your spring isn't gonna magically wear out. If you're putting thousands of rounds down field your spring will eventually start to fail due to the repetitive use.

Puddlemonkey!!!!!!

Thanks for the info good sir. I was thinking that as well but since I have a 4" cdp ii the compact kit they had listed was about to throw me off.... BTW, I've alway been a fan of this website... Even though I just started on the forums again, ive been using this site as a resource and hobby for a long time! I have to say, that there have been some posts that you have started are commented on that made me laugh so hard... If memory serves correctly, you are a pretty big 1911 guy and have some beauitful toys as well... thanks for the help, and I will proceed with the kimber pro kit for my 4" model as well as look into these other kits... happy new years!!!!!!!!!!!! puddlemonley for the win.......

If getting it from Kimber keep in mind their 4" models are all called "Pro". If buying your spring from Wolff (recommended) or somewhere else you'll be looking for a 22lb Commander spring if you want the stock recoil spring for Kimber. It's ok to go with a different spring poundage, but it usually depends on what you're shooting. Read this short blog and you'll be set to make those decisions.

<broken link removed>

Gimme a shout (PM) and I'll put one in the mail for ya...no charge.

Also, 22lbs is way over sprung for those pistols. Drop down to 16-17lbs and you'll have a nicer feeling pistol.

The original spec spring, by coils and wire diameter, comes out to about 14lbs for the original models in 1911.
Somehow 16lbs came to be the standard for 5" models.

I run 14-15lb springs on all my full size, and 16-17's on my Commander models...yes, even those with alum alloy frames.

Gimme a shout (PM) and I'll put one in the mail for ya...no charge.

Also, 22lbs is way over sprung for those pistols. Drop down to 16-17lbs and you'll have a nicer feeling pistol.

The original spec spring, by coils and wire diameter, comes out to about 14lbs for the original models in 1911.
Somehow 16lbs came to be the standard for 5" models.

I run 14-15lb springs on all my full size, and 16-17's on my Commander models...yes, even those with alum alloy frames.

Sounds like you know 1911's pretty well.
What do you think about a urethane bumper on that short slide of an ultra carry. I always did on the colt officers model, but was recomended to not on the ultra carry.... why would that be?

Me thinks you're talking about a shok-buff type thingy?

They will shorten the slide stroke equal to the thickness of the 'buff. The stroke is already short on a 4" gun. The shorter version, such as the Officers model length, which is about 3 1/2", shortens that stroke as well.

In simple terms, it will most likely cause ejection problems.

The reason behind stiff spring on short slides, is that the shorter slides don't have the weight/mass to reliably strip a round from the magazine, and get it into the pipe. The stiffer spring helps with that. But they are still over sprung.

The heavier springs also mask any barrel fitting problem(s) coming from the factory...i.e. forcing the round into the chamber vs a smooth, controlled feed.

If the gun won't reliably feed with a 15lb spring for a 5", 16lb on a 4", and a 19-20 on a shorter model, then there are other problems that need to be addressed.

The 1911's that were designed for the military teams, such as the MEUSOC pistol etc., had a 18lb spring. But that was to over come dirt, debris problems they might encounter. Unless you're going into filthy territory, slack off on the spring weight, it aint necessary.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top