JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, an idea I keep coming back to is buying / modifying a very little, handy bolt-action for small varmints (e.g., coyotes, foxes) and informal shooting. A thought I have is to:

1. Obtain a CZ 527 carbine.
  2. Papering it as an SBR and shortening the barrel back to, say, 11-12".
  3. Threading said to ½x28 pitch.
  4. Installing an adapter and use a 5.56x45㎜ silencer (one we already have). The combination of the short barrel, plus a suppressor (that is around 6½") would bring the to barrel length back to, roughly, the factory original of 18½". So still pretty handy.
  5. Install quality glass. Probably something from Leupold.
A Google image search found that someone did something similar, albeit one chambered in 7.62x39㎜ ComBloc.

eVbJ8pW.jpg
Anyway, just an idea that is bouncing around the old noggin. Thoughts? Alternative ideas? Thanks!

Love it!

For some reason it reminds me of the canadian search and rescue rifle by Ruger. sar-rifle-30.jpg
Something about a shorty bolt gun really piques my interest.

Me either, I first heard of it when researching long vs short action ruger "boat paddle" stocks. Apparently it's not actually built by Ruger but it is a Ruger 77 action in a diemaco chassis. It's difficult to be sure as I haven't found alot of information on it. From the one site that did list specs it has a 14.5" bbl, folding stock, five round mag, 30-06 chambering and provisions for ammunition storage in the butt.

I gave brief thought to starting a thread about it but never to fruition.

Scout rifles are cool, for sure!

Sounds like what I did to one of my Tikka's in 223. Didn't SBR, but 16" with a 6" can still pretty dang handy. Went with a Leupold Delta Point Pro for the optic. Makes for a fast handling, quiet carbine.

DSCN0347.JPG

Same rifle in Avatar pic.

I am a fan of the 527 rifles, and I have a half dozen of them in different calibers. The latest acquisition within the group is the suppressor ready in 300BLK. I haven't had a chance to get it out to the range too much yet, and am still waiting on the suppressor I plan to run on it, but have enjoyed it so far.

I'd do it in .300 BO. The loss of speed in the .223 (which makes that cartridge work) would not make me happy.

If you do SBR it look at different powders to try and get it all burned at the velocity you want to make the can "work" better.

I did an SBR 77/357. It's like a B.B. Gun with 200 grain projectiles.

I'd do it in .300 BO. The loss of speed in the .223 (which makes that cartridge work) would not make me happy.

The rifle above in 223 still shoots 3175 FPS with 50 grain BT's and 26 grains of H4895. Plenty enough speed for whatever you are going to be using a 223 for.

Gotta love the 527, arguably one of the best Bolt Carbines out there at a very very affordable price. But there are not as many out there available seem like not allot of places stock them as they are not big seller. But they are awesome rifles. I particularly love the increased accuracy in the 7.62x39 takes that round to a whole other level.
What you are doing sounds like a great idea, the only thing is it eliminates the iron sites which I have aftermarket ones ( cant recall the name ) and they worked well for me, I take it this would make those inoperable?

The rifle above in 223 still shoots 3175 FPS with 50 grain BT's and 26 grains of H4895. Plenty enough speed for whatever you are going to be using a 223 for.

Yeah..... I'm sure your SIXTEEN INCH TUBE WILL.

I was referring to the OPs original post/quest to do an 11".

If you can get the 3100 ish fps out of a 11" barrel I'd be real impressed and cut all of my 223/556 rifles down to that length that aren't already SBRed.o_O

I'll have to chronograph my 10.5" 5.56 pistol to see what speeds that is getting. Now I am curious to know how slow my bullets are going when they kill those coyotes that are unfortunate enough to stand in front of the muzzle!:eek:

Maybe it is just the noise or concussion that they die from?:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads