JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had been loading on an RCBS Rockchucker for about 7 years, but I just switched to a Dillon 550.

I am totally impressed with the 550. The volume of rounds it cranks out is amazing to me. However, I am just as impressed with the quality of each of the 4 stages. I really do not see any way in which a single-stage performs any single function in the process better.

My question is whether anyone can suggest a reason to keep the single-stage (other than that it might be useful to have a backup)?

Thanks

Keep it for other jobs such as decapping and so forth. Trust me. You'll be glad you did.

If not, I'll take it off your hands for $50 :D

I have a rockchucker I use all the time even though I have a Dillon 650, a Hornady LNL, and a MEC Grabber for shot shells (I may have an addiction problem):oops:

The single stage is what I use for my large rifle calibers and load development in handgun rounds. Nothing sucks more than to Ioad a couple hundred rounds in short time on your progressive that your handgun doesn't like.

I've had my 550B for a very long time but I still have a single stage press. Sometimes when you're working up a load and just want to load 10 rounds, it's easier on the single stage. Especially when the 550 is set up for .44 Mag and you want to load 5.56.

I still have a rockchucker, a lee single stage, turret and hand press. I still find a use for all of them, I still use my rockchucker for load development on new cartridges I get, before I get the expensive caliber conversion, or for the few cartridges that dont have a 550 conversion, you never know you might want to shoot .577 snider someday.:D

Yes, to all of the above plus:

At some point your Dillon is going to do something like not loading the bullets properly or not feed the primer or maybe a powder charge gets doubled or ......

That just one of the times you will find a need for a Single Stage Press.

Always keep the old workhorse. Good for bulk resizing when you don't want to do it on a progressive.

Time to invest in exchangeable press base plates.

Always keep the old workhorse. Good for bulk resizing when you don't want to do it on a progressive.

Time to invest in exchangeable press base plates.

Indeed, the inline fabrication quick change base plate system is fantastic. Takes less than a minute to swap presses, and it is rock solid.

Thanks again for the replies. I should also have mentioned that I currently only load pistol calibers. I will keep it.
Yeah if you aren't in a hurry to sell it and you have room keep it. Even for pistol only there's a lot of utility to be had from a ss press. Decapping first to prep (clean) and store brass in large quantities that you want to use later, sizing and forming brass for that "odd" caliber that you might fall in love with someday, perhaps sizing cast bullets someday for your handguns so you can shoot more and spend a little less...lots of reasons to keep the ss around. Keep the Dillon set up for quality production where it really shines (less changing = better consistency) and use the ss for detail work.

M

Thanks for all of the good ideas. I have the Inline Fab quick change already, so the Single stage will stay hanging in a bracket on the wall until I need it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top