JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd guess case failure, the case head separated from the case and dumped hot pressurized gas in the breach area and that blew out the magazine. If the charge weight was 4.5 gr of W231, no way is 9 gr of powder going to fit a 9mm case without spilling everywhere and being VERY noticeable.

ETA: if the round went off out of battery, that could also cause a case head to let go the way OP pic shows.

I had a case head separation happen with an AR once, and it left a perfect brass tube stuck in the chamber. Blew out the mag, mangled my extractor. IIRC, the bolt was otherwise fine.

Last Edited:
I'd guess case failure, the case head separated from the case and dumped hot pressurized gas in the breach area and that blew out the magazine. If the charge weight was 4.5 gr of W231, no way is 9 gr of powder going to fit a 9mm case without spilling everywhere and being VERY noticeable.

ETA: if the round went off out of battery, that could also cause a case head to let go the way OP pic shows.

I had a case head separation happen with an AR once, and it left a perfect brass tube stuck in the chamber. Blew out the mag, mangled my extractor. IIRC, the bolt was otherwise fine.
4.5 gr W231 does not take up much volume.

Old post. But:

Because this is the first time I've loaded these bullets, a part of my testing included checking the crimp. I found with the first dozen, I could push the bullet back into the case.

Lee makes undersized sizing dies. In different calibers but 9mm Para. for sure. Helps tighten up bullet pull without getting carried away with taper crimp.

I've got a set of Redding steel dies in .45 ACP, I'd swear there is a slight taper built in (you can see it held up to a light) at the mouth that does the same thing. Don't know if their other caliber sets have this kind of sizing die.

How about 9 grains in a 9mm case? I haven't loaded W231 in many years but with recent powders I've used, it would be all over the shell plate.
For instance, if I can place 8.5 gr Blue Dot (flaky double base) in a 9mm case, then I should easily be able to put 9 gr W231 (ball powder) into a 9mm case with no spilling on the shell plate.
I'll make you a bet ?

For instance, if I can place 8.5 gr Blue Dot (flaky double base) in a 9mm case, then I should easily be able to put 9 gr W231 (ball powder) into a 9mm case with no spilling on the shell plate.
I'll make you a bet ?
And it has to be shot out of a Hi Point

Didn't read 5 pages of posts so perhaps this has been stated, sorry if redundant.
Good article, thanks.

Pistol is back in service and hundreds of rounds through it.

I'll make you a bet ?
Do it and take a pic, please. I'd do it myself if I had any 231.

Do it and take a pic, please. I'd do it myself if I had any 231.

Not sure if you could seat a bullet and maintain COL, but here is what 9.0 gr of W-231 looks like in a Dillon RL-550 Dillon sizing die Winchester 9mm case. I think a double charge would have disassembled even a steel frame gun. I vote for the bullet setback theory. CAE435C9-AF2A-44FD-B183-161D1C9E0898.jpeg

Sure as heck, it didn't spill over. I agree that attempting to seat a bullet on that charge would be unlikely to slip by, but I've seen stranger things happen. Thanks for doing the test and the pic.

I'm in favor of the weak brass and/or not fully in battery theory.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top