JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm glad you're OK, what brand of case?
Fiocci (G.F.L.)

dang. had to be a double charge!
that is what i fear most if i get a progressive press. im gonna outfit it with a light and mirror or something so i can see everything once i get one.
Yup, double charges are bad juju...
I've often thought of buying a progressive press, but honestly, running a single stage allows me the opportunity to visually check all the charged cases in the reloading block.
Kinda satisfies my OCD need. :eek:
That's the thing - I'm pretty particular about watching my case content before placing the bullet. I've had low powder charges before, but never a double (that I can remember) in tens of thousands of rounds. Evidently a state of denial is taking place here.
All it takes is once.
Going to look at the "Powder Cop", and if I don't like it, figure out something else.

Looks more like an out of battery firing than a double charge/kabooom situation. Check out that gun really good. Is your extractor still present?

Glad you are ok.

That sounds like exactly what happened to me once.

Makes ya stop for the day and wet yerself doesn't it? :)

I think mine was overly used brass though not a double charge. I noticed a line forming on the brass after reloading repeatedly and the case gave out right where that line was.

I have since cycled all my brass.

Looks more like an out of battery firing than a double charge/kabooom situation. Check out that gun really good. Is your extractor still present?
Glad you are ok.
Of course I (at first) couldn't believe that I would produce a double-charge. Thought it might be an out-of-battery firing. Once I extracted the case, I checked that. With the slide pulled back ~1mm, the striker will still fire.
Tested the theory on all my other pistols, they are the same, ~1mm of travel and the gun will still fire.
Everything still present on the gun. Going to mic the chamber ID. If I knew someone who had an X-ray weld testing unit, I'd love to see if there are hidden cracks in the chamber/barrel.

Makes ya stop for the day and wet yerself doesn't it? :)
I think mine was overly used brass though not a double charge. I noticed a line forming on the brass after reloading repeatedly and the case gave out right where that line was.
I have since cycled all my brass.
No depends needed. Definitely stopped the day as the gun was now unsafe. Spent a 1/2 hour picking up parts.
Close inspection of the xploded case, it looks a lot like the old Glock unsupported case ruptures.
A buddy asked how many loadings on the case for that same reason. Now I have a new inspection, in addition to examining for bulges, to make on all my brass (~8K 9mm / 3K 45 ACP / 4K 40S&W....).

Maybe a distraction caused it?
shiny_bubbles.gif

- or -

squirrel.gif

Because this is the first time I've loaded these bullets, a part of my testing included checking the crimp. I found with the first dozen, I could push the bullet back into the case. Adjusted the seater/crimp and did not have that problem using what I estimated to be 10 lbs of force against my bench.
The question I had was how many pounds of force should I test this with? I guess I'll check against some production ammo and see.

I bought a USB Endoscope (illuminated optical camera) that connects to my cell phone.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00STB0EW6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My intent was to use my cell phone as a camera monitor to check the powder level before my progressive press put a bullet into the shell. I never have used the progressive press as a full progressive press. I jumped straight to a progressive press when I started out reloading. I started out pulling the shells out of the press after the shells have been resized and flared. I put them in a loading block and use a little dandy powder dispenser to fill the shells and then do a visual before placing the filled shells back in the progressive press. I know it is slower, but it works for me, lol.

I think for those who use a progressive press, a USB Endoscope is something to consider.

Ron

I'd like to Suggest you contact Ruger about sending it back for a Full Check up since you were using reloads I'm sure it won't be Warranty work it but IMO would it would be for the Best!!! :):):)

Glad you are safe. I have had 1 major kaboom like yours, and it was with someones' reloads.

Every time I consider reloading, I see a post like this and figure I'm not going to chance it. Seems it's almost always reloads. And if it's factory ammo the manufacturer will be liable for damages.

I've watched slo-mo vids of how polymer framed pistols flex with recoil.... I'm wondering if they wouldn't just expand and settle back down instead of breaking apart?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top