JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I was trying to remove my buttplate so I could take some of the rust off, and the screw broke, per photo below..

Any ideas how to get it out? I've tried pliers, but that screw is in there REALLY tight.. I also tried to drill it, but my drill bits are not making a dent in the screw and I'm afraid of breaking the bit..

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

IMG_8218 (3).jpg

I would take a small diameter drill bit and drill all around the stuck screw so that will release the wood fiber tension and then try extracting the screw. Then I would use a forstner bit to clean out the ragged hole and use Gorrilla glue and a wood dowel that's the same diameter of the Forstner bit to fill it back up.
When using Gorilla glue, a little goes a long way, especially when you dampen the wood a little bit.
Tape off the surrounding stock areas.

Last Edited:
Dose it with Kroil and let it sit over night. Dose it again and then use what jbett98 said. You will need to apply a solvent to the wood before gluing to remove the Kroil.

Surgery was successful - thank you gentlemen. I used the method of @jbett98 and drilled small holes around the screw to loosen the fibers, and then I used a needle nose plier (as @DirectDrive) suggested to twist it out. I'm going to use the gorilla glue and a piece of dowel to rebuild the area and re-drill the hole. Now I need to order a replace screw from eBay.

Lesson learned - do not force hardware on an 75 year old rifle.

Gorilla glue expands like crazy when you moisten the wood. It took me by surprise the first time I used it.
I got it all over the stock I was working on and man is it hard to remove.
Make sure you sneeze all the air out of the bottle when you're done using it and also store it upside down.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top