JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I seem to recall with proper ATF paperwork one can pass through a state that bans items presuming you just pass right on through with no unnecessary stops. I ask, because looking at moving, I own a few legal in state of origin and destination items that are not legal in the state of Washington, but the fastest course to North ID and MT cuts through Washington. Am I correct in thinking that these items in a locked storage container would be legal to make the journey provided I only stopped for gas, they were unloaded and secured with ammunition in a separate container.

I could not find a clear answer on the ATF site when I looked.

Yes, I have the moving bug and am a serious over-planner.

I seem to recall with proper ATF paperwork one can pass through a state that bans items presuming you just pass right on through with no unnecessary stops. I ask, because looking at moving, I own a few legal in state of origin and destination items that are not legal in the state of Washington, but the fastest course to North ID and MT cuts through Washington. Am I correct in thinking that these items in a locked storage container would be legal to make the journey provided I only stopped for gas, they were unloaded and secured with ammunition in a separate container.

I could not find a clear answer on the ATF site when I looked.

Yes, I have the moving bug and am a serious over-planner.
You are mostly correct. See the Safe Passage provision in FOPA.

Briefly, the firearms must be in a locked hard-sided storage container only if your vehicle does not have a separate storage compartment (i.e., a trunk).
So, if you're driving an SUV or something similar without a trunk space, then yes, the firearms would need to be in a locked container in that scenario.
OTOH, if your vehicle has a trunk, or you're towing a lockable trailer, or you have a lockable roof container (Rocket Box, etc.), then storage of the firearms in those locations would also meet the FOPA law, without the need to be in a locked hard-sided container. The firearms could just be in soft-sided gun cases in that instance, since they would not be "readily accessible" according to the Safe Passage provision, and the outer container is hard-sided and locked.
And as I'm sure you must already know, if you're transporting any NFA items, then make sure you get your "hall pass" from the AFT before you leave town.

Whereabouts in MT are ya headed? I'm looking at ID for my move, but am interested in knowing what people are finding in MT as an alternative.

Last Edited:
Well, I am not sure exactly where we are moving. But I am thinking probably North Idaho or Western MT as my wife's job requires no additional changes for a move to those areas. (Other areas are being considered.) Our vehicle is an SUV so it likely will be in there in a steel box of some kind, and I will be filling out my hall pass soon.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top