JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Reading the thread about the guy in Fife that was followed home and killed on his front porch was interesting. Mostly because a couple members (@Jonnyuma @The Heretic @User 1234 to name a few) had some good paranoia advice. I thought I'd start a thread and maybe we might learn from each other on some of the things we do as @Jonnyuma put it "employing rudimentary counter-surveillance and evasion techniques in everyday situations" .

I've seen a few other techniques here and there. Hopefully this isn't something that's already been covered and if so, please delete or merge.

A couple I hijacked from the Fife man thread:
  • Pay attention to who's behind you and take extra turns and a varying route when driving home. I do this a lot. My wife gives me chit once in a while because she thinks I look out the rear view more than ahead.
  • Stopping to look in store windows when there's nothing of interest inside. (I'm gonna use this one)
  • Taking note of people's shoes. :s0092:
  • Avoiding light-to-dark transitions.
  • Don't fixate on attractive women's arses.
A couple I do quite a bit myself:
  • Locking the doors to my vehicle immediately upon entering it.
  • I generally appendix carry so as soon as I get in the vehicle, I remove my firearm and attach it to a magnet I have in arms reach. Trying to draw while seated is difficult.
  • When parking the vehicle, I scan out all the windows and mirrors before I unlock doors to get out no matter if at home or in a parking lot.
  • Backing into my driveway.
  • One of my wife's tricks while walking is to stop and adjust her shoe when someone behind is a little too close for comfort to let them pass.
  • When approaching a business, look around at the vehicles outside for anyone sitting in the "getaway car" and also take a gander into the glass storefront or glass door before so you don't walk in on a robbery in progress and become collateral damage.
Just a few. I look forward to other's input.

Paranoia is merely the heightened state of awareness.

I drive an expensive commercial work truck that screams,"FULL OF EXPENSIVE TOOLS", and a decent looking Mercedes sedan that people generally think means the driver has wads of cash on them (HA!! I'm married... I don't have any cash, LOL!)

I have on more than one occasion taken a circuitous route back to my house when I've noticed a car behind me take too many of the same turns...

I see you BEATCHES!! :s0118:

Something I haven't seen mentioned just yet. When buying a family car, I tend towards unexciting. My current primary ride is a 2004 tan Toyota Camry. Any given parking lot, there are a couple others like it. I call it suburban camouflage. Before that, it was a tan Honda Accord. I've had other vehicles that stand out more, but it is a consideration when purchasing. Also, I never ever put stickers on my car. Especially political or firearm related. It can attract all the wrong attention and make you a prominent target.

Subject: "employing rudimentary counter-surveillance and evasion techniques in everyday situations" .

Start with some protection from those negative vibes/waves.... tin-foil-cat.jpg

Aloha, Mark

There's nothing wrong with being aware of your surroundings. It's the one you don't see that gets you.

If you say this in the wrong company it's like bringing up UFOs at a dinner party. Whatever. Those are the people who are going to live with the PTSD of an assault or a break-in. The lion catches the slowest gazelle, that's how it works.

Either my wife or I take a lap through the house every night before we turn in. Make sure nobody is skulking around the property. We sleep well this way.

Nice OP thread idea @JohnnyMac . I don't think of it as paranoid, rather just living in condition yellow and knowing when to shift into orange.

Quick story about what my bride did recently while in AZ in front of a Sportsman's. She was with a female friend from the area when they were approached by a guy asking for money. Creep factor clues like starting to follow them back to their car, kept talking, closing distance. Wife did several things like stopped, interrupted him, spoke loudly and firmly, did not go to her car, move back toward the store, basically broke his OODA loop so he was off balance. He went away. She was also armed with pepper spray and and M&P Shield if needed.

Looking forward to seeing tips others use.

I always lock the car doors. My car has autolocking; once it gets up to a certain speed the doors lock. Also, I do look in the mirrors/etc. before unlocking the doors and exiting.

I am especially paranoid after visiting the credit union, doubly so if I got some cash.

Well... 'Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition'.

Someone followed me (closely) all the way from town out to the farm one night. Turned out it was one of my daughters, who lives out-of-state, paying us a surprise visit.

I do try to pay attention to what's going on around me. Fortunately, most of the surprises in life are good ones.

Stay safe, friends - but don't panic. Not yet, anyway. Let's hope the USA doesn't devolve into a place where we have to constantly be on guard.

Great tips already.

Took a circuitous route home bypassing our street turn just yesterday morning after shift, due to a car 2 vehicles back taking the same turns...

When surveying vehicles, disregard "how nice" or "how crappy" it may seem. Keep a revolving tabulation of color, make, model etc.

I'll ad on another tip. Avoid "gas & sips" ("convenience" stores, etc) regularly as much as possible.

Pretty easy to do actually, if you think about it. Currently, the only "gas & sip" place we shop at on an irregular basis, is when I have our propane tanks filled. I normally do that early mornings, and being I fill a bunch its pretty infrequent.

It truly boggles my mind that some folks hit them daily, some times multiple times a day.

Something I haven't seen mentioned just yet. When buying a family car, I tend towards unexciting. My current primary ride is a 2004 tan Toyota Camry. Any given parking lot, there are a couple others like it. I call it suburban camouflage. Before that, it was a tan Honda Accord. I've had other vehicles that stand out more, but it is a consideration when purchasing. Also, I never ever put stickers on my car. Especially political or firearm related. It can attract all the wrong attention and make you a prominent target.
I've done this for quite a while. Stickers SCREAM rob me!!! Break into my car there might be a gun!!!!

Program the key such that one click only unlocks the driver's door, two clicks are needed to open all doors.
That is how mine works.

I have "comfort access" that unlocks the door when I touch the inside of the handle on driver or passenger (although the driver side stopped working) and locks it when I touch the ridged area. This only works for one side at a time IIRC. I only have to keep the fob in my pocket to unlock or drive the car.

All kinds of special behaviors in the key fob. It knows whether I am inside the car or outside and which side I am on among other things.

I tend to take a more direct approach. If it appears someone is following me I'll promptly pull over as soon as I can and exit the vehicle to see what happens. Intimidation doesn't work well on me.

I had a old college roommate and dear friend who became a successful family and child therapist.
One day he told me he wanted to by a BMW sport coupe.
I looked at him and told him that was like driving a big sign that said, " Beat me, rob me, kill me, I have lots of goodies."
He never bought the BMW and ended up driving a pickup or older model 4 door sedan.

I am constantly scanning my mirrors, keeping track of how many I can see behind me and noting any changes. I lock my doors as soon as i'm seated, and I'm constantly scanning all around before exiting. I have no stickers, custom plates, or license frames to indicate i'm special. I.E. a victim, and I keep my distances from folks out on the road! I try to avoid conflict on the road, and don't let others drag me into road rage conflict.

Based upon a lot of these comments, I guess I'm going to need a few razor blades... :(
Stick family and BRM.JPG
That being said, I...
  • Carry everywhere it's legal to do so
  • Constantly scan my mirrors while driving to note trailing vehicles that mimic my turns
  • Pass by my street's turn if vehicle(s) continue to trail me
  • Lock vehicle doors (it's automatic) as soon as the ignition key is turned
  • Place EDC in console pocket upon seating myself in the driver's seat
  • Scan parking lot before exiting the vehicle
  • Scan parking lot when returning to the vehicle
  • Remain especially vigilant when at/departing the ATM/credit union/LGS
  • Avoid "sketchy" areas, day or night
  • Sit facing the front door at restaurants and as close to the back exit as possible - my kids don't even ask where we're gonna sit anymore :)
  • Sit such that my EDC is on the "wall side" (not the aisle side) as this seating arrangement obscures any movement to my firearm from the BG if I have to draw
  • Regard everyone that I do not know personally as suspect
  • Travel in Condition Yellow (at a minimum) always
I don't consider myself paranoid in the slightest. I'm just prepared to meet a threat. I was a Boy Scout and took the "Be Prepared" motto to heart. Still do...
As little kids growing up, the Grand Sobo repeatedly jammed it into our skulls to "Always be aware of what's happening around you." I didn't fully comprehend what he was trying to impart to us back then, but as I grew older, I eventually "got" what he was saying. These days, we call that Situational Awareness.
It really came home during my time in AFG several years ago. Jeremiah Johnson's parting words to his friends was our standard message: "Watch yer topknot!"

Last Edited:
When people follow me I find I'm desirable and a real VIP when they have blue lights flashing. Though I haven't been able to talk them into running the blue lights while I'm driving behind them. :confused::s0113::s0104:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top