JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well done, that man! I always enjoyed my time with the Gunners, and got to shoot some big stuff, mainly AS90, remotely from outside the hull at Larkhill, the location of the Royal School of Artillery.

Gunnery here in England goes back to the Battle of Crécy in 1346 - just thought you'd like to know that your antecedents were around making lots of noise and appalling smells long before Columbus was born...the English had been fighting the French for almost forty years even then.

The Royal Regiment of Artillery, is generally known as the Royal Artillery and is nicknamed the Gunners. The Regiment is an Arm of the British Army. Despite its name, it is made up of sixteen regiments.

On the 26th May 1716, two regular companies of field Artillery were raised in Woolwich, London (now the home of Royal Artillery Barracks). In 1722, these companies were grouped with independent Artillery companies at Gibraltar and Minorca to form the Royal Regiment of Artillery, commanded by Colonel Albert Bogard. By 1757, the regiment had expanded greatly and comprised 24 companies, in two battalions. By 1771, this had increased to 32 companies in four battalions.

In January,1793, two troops of Royal Horse Artillery were raised to provide fire support for the Cavalry. This increased to four troops in November. All personnel were mounted.

The Royal Regiment of Artillery and the Royal Engineers, were under the control of the Board of Ordnance until 1855, where it then came underneath the War Office, following the disastrous campaign of the Crimean War, like the rest of the British Army.

69 Batteries - 21 Horse and 48 Field - of Artillery, from the East India Company were absorbed into the Royal Regiment of Artillery in 1861, and there was now a total of 29 horse batteries, 73 field batteries and 88 heavy batteries.

There was further reorganisation in July 1899, and three distinct groups were formed. The Royal Garrison Artillery, were formed from Coastal Defence, Mountain, Siege and heavy batteries. There was also the Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery. This lasted through World War I, until 1924 when all three separate groups were reformed as the Royal Artillery.

The Royal Horse Artillery, which traditionally had separate uniforms and insignia, to this day retains a separate identity within the Royal Regiment of Artillery. It's considered by its members to be an elite.

It is widely held that the Gentlemen of the Royal Artillery lend an air of respectability to what would otherwise be an untidy and ill-mannered brawl.

tac

Last Edited:
If you want to get out early, use my step-son's technique: Gain enough weight to be 5 lbs over weight on your physicals. Dont lose the weight because you thought the Army was going to be Call of Duty and you are bored of driving light armored vehicles and would rather be home playing Call of DUty. Fail your physicals because you dont want to lose the weight. Get kicked out and start working at an armored car company driving armored cars. :rolleyes:

Is this a joke?

Is this a joke?
Unfortunately no. I'm glad he at least got a job because I was worried I was going to have to support his wife and kid after he failed his 3rd physical for not loosing those 5 lbs.

My other step son is a great guy, went in the Air Force and is now in college. I dont have any kids of my own but if he was my son I'd be damn proud.

Are you advocating the OP should gain weight intentionally so as to be "chaptered out" from military service should he become unhappy with his choice?

Are you advocating the OP should gain weight intentionally so as to be "chaptered out" from military service should he become unhappy with his choice?

No I was being facetious. I'm terribly disappointed that he was too lazy to loose the 5 lbs and got kicked out of the Army when he had a wife and kid as well. I did not raise him though. My poor attempt at humor

Ok. I apologize if I had offened you. For some they believe this is a legetimate way, along with failing their PT test, to get out. I see it at work, and pisses me off when Soliers talk about shirking their obligations when there are those that do try but may ultimately fail....not intentionally.

Good on you, man. Artillery-The God of Battle as Napoleon said.

One of my nephews is a SSGT in the USMC Reserves and a Section Chief on 155mm howitzers. Funny story, his college advisor asked him one time:

"Mr. Foster, why do you have to take the same math class 3 times and it will take you 6 years to graduate from college." He said, "Well Mrs. Smith, there is this little country called Iraq and this other little country called Afghanistan, and Uncle Sam thought I needed to spend a year in each one studying abroad......"

Brutus Out

Ok. I apologize if I had offened you. For some they believe this is a legetimate way, along with failing their PT test, to get out. I see it at work, and pisses me off when Soliers talk about shirking their obligations when there are those that do try but may ultimately fail....not intentionally.

Oh, No offense. I feel the same way. Im happy to @h4344 here proud that he is going in the army (unlike my step kid) and wish him the best.

Damn you should have picked 13F.
13 Bang Bang's have to move those heavy bastards around.
Did you at least get Airborne in your contract ?

A Btry 1/319th AFAR 82nd Airborne.
Attached to 3/505 PIR.:)

Last Edited:
Even if i find myself thinking "Damn this sucks, i bubblegumed up" i would never try to wiggle my way out of the Army. If there is one thing in my life i can look back on and be proud of myself for i want it to be this decision and how i stuck it through.

Damn you should have picked 13F.
13 Bang Bang's have to move those heavy bastards around.
Did you at least get Airborne in your contract ?

A Btry 1/319th AFAR 82nd Airborne.
Attached to 3/505 PIR.:)
They need the big strong guys like me to help move the heavy stuff ;) Airborne was offered in my job reservation but i decided to not opt in for it. Shoot at me all you want but bubblegum jumping out of a plane lol. If they offer it at some point down the line then maybe ill grow a pair.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews