JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How big was it when you started? ;) When I was a kid [living in Karuizawa and Niigata, Japan] it was one of my regular assigned chores to keep the bamboo from taking over the tiny yard.

Link, for those interested Gikoh saw
we've had bamboo for 20 years, was 1/2" thick on the original plant, our new culms this year are 4" in diameter and 40' tall on the Japese Timber bamboo
just planted additional Mosu bamboo 3 years ago
we control them by cutting off the young culms where not wanted
the photo is a 6 week old culm, they grow several inches a DAY

Dillon's timber bamboo.jpeg spring bamboo (2).JPG P1030636.JPG

I have one of those neat Japanese saws. Somewhere. Trouble is, I buy stuff that I think I'll need, put it away, then can't find it.

The former Hardwick's Hardware in Seattle used to carry a wide array of quality Japanese hand tools. Which tend to be different from what we use. Some I liked, others not so much. But I don't like all US tools, either. European stuff, I like French tools better than German.

The Taiwan mass import stuff, that is all gone now. But who cannot say they don't have a single tool from China? I admit to it. Not the common stuff that sees a lot of use but the less common items that I am only going to use once or twice and the US counterpart is expensive.

I had 40 years worth of dull drill bits piled up, couldn't find anyone local or reasonable to sharpen them. My own efforts at sharpening bits haven't been all that successful. So I bought one of those Drill Doctor outfits. I got it at a discount from Amazon Warehouse. I followed the instructions exactly, sharpened all my bits, then sold the Drill Doctor on ebay and got my money back. No sense in my storing the tool and probably never using it again.

we've had bamboo for 20 years, was 1/2" thick on the original plant, our new culms this year are 4" in diameter and 40' tall on the Japese Timber bamboo
Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I wonder, is there any danger of your bamboo getting out of control and taking over a la English ivy?

About 25 years ago, I planted a small patch of bamboo. I figured it would fill in around a gutter drain pit. It is the fine kind, almost like thick grass. My limited knowledge of bamboo is that there are many different types. The patch that I planted years ago has never gotten any larger or smaller. It's just about the same as when I put it in.

When I was a kid, one of our neighbors had a big stand of largish bamboo in their backyard. We neighbor kids were engaged in a bamboo fight; we were wielding them like spears. I was defending some high ground and took a bamboo point in the neck. I still have some scars from it.

If you don't have the problem with LARGE bamboo. Not to worry......the smaller ones are also tasty, though (IMHO) a little harder to work with.

Not to mention, that in the past, the bamboo stalks made a good fishing pole (for catching smaller reef fish).

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
If you don't have the problem with LARGE bamboo. Not to worry......the smaller ones are also tasty, though (IMHO) a little harder to work with.

Not to mention, that in the past, the bamboo stalks made a good fishing pole (for catching smaller reef fish).

Aloha, Mark
living near Woodland, I prefer my Lamniglas to bamboo fishing poles

the first time we got rid of old bamboo in the burn pile, got a rude shock
the air chambers in the bamboo stalks explode when hot and sound like a 9mm going off
scared the Hell out of us the first time it happened - I though some old ammo had gotten in our burn pile

View attachment 1224812 View attachment 1224813 View attachment 1224814
They used to torture people by staking them out over/on a few of those.

@gmerkt -- Re your question about whether a patch of bamboo will take over--
There are two basic types, clumping and running. Bamboo catalogs list the varieties in separate sections. The clumping types spread a little at the edges each year giving you a dense but easy to control patch. The running types...RUN. You need to put in in-ground barriers such as metal, concrete, or air (ditches) to keep them from spreading. If you plant a running bamboo without any control barriers in a modest backyard, after the plant becomes established it will send out shoots 20' or more in all directions every year, so very soon your yard will be one big bamboo patch and soon likewise for your neighbors.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top