JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
can anyone ID this sword and know the approximate value for insurance. not interested in selling been in the family a long time

IMG_0558.jpg IMG_0566.jpg IMG_0569.jpg IMG_0563 (1).jpg

icon_1_image_x32.png icon_1_image_x32.png icon_1_image_x32.png icon_1_image_x32.png icon_1_image_x32.png

Your sword is correctly called a wakizashi, the shorter of the two swords - Dai-Sho - worn by a Samurai. The long blade is called a Katana. The very short dagger is called a tanto, often carried concealed, is usually used as a means close defence or suicide.

Japanese swords are genuine minefield to find out about. Before we go any further, can I ask you, no, make that BEG you, DO NOT TRY AND CLEAN IT UP - ANYWHERE - BUT ESPECIALLY ON THE TANG WHERE THE LETTERING IS LOCATED.

Doing so and THEN finding out that your blade is a historically significant item can take, not hundreds, but thousands, even tens of thousands from the value.

When living in Tokyo, my boss and I used to visit the national collection every year, just to see what had turned up meanbetimes. One exhibit was a 'cleaned-up' blade that had been returned to Japan after having been surrendered in 1945. The then-owner had taken a wire brush to the rust on the tang, not realising that to a collector, the rust is as much part of the history as the name. The blade, in untouched state, might have fetched a quarter of a million dollars. It had been reduced to around fifty thousand by applying a wire brush for less than two minutes.

I suggest that you get in touch with these folks, located in Bellevue WA - https://japanesesword.com/contact

Whinemeal, with your blessing, I'll copy the images and post them to a well-known site in US - no mention of your name or location will be made.

Here is the link - https://www.gunboards.com/threads/wakazashi-with-heavily-incised-tang-help-needed-please.1201476/

Last Edited:

This is the same maker: Hizenkoku tadayoshi

The price in the above link is around $500 but a very nice one find about $1000.

This example seems to have a good polish and therefore eminently sellable - if necessary. Having to have a polish carried out, even on a shorter blade like this one, can be a matter of a thousand dollars or more, even in the US where there are a goodly number of these skilled artisans.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top