JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would encourage any Southern Oregon Mail Tribune subscribers to email them and express that you will cancel your subscription the day they publish the CHL list.

[email protected]

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100623/NEWS07/6230338/-1/NEWSMAP

http://www.mailtribune.com/

That'll work.

You know, of course, that this ruling means that ANYONE can request and publish the CHL info. So any paper or any blogger anywhere can get the info and publish it online. Boycott the Mail Tribune? Go for it.

This ruling permits bloggers and private citizens access to the CHL info too, so what message is being sent by singling out the Mail Tribune? ANYONE can get the list from ANY county. This info--for EVERY COUNTY--will be on the internet within days.

And I can tell you that any local newspaper gets 50 cranky calls a day from people threatening to cancel subscriptions. They don't take that stuff seriously and won't here. The Mail Tribune has a lot of problems; a possible subscription cancellation by a few gun owners ain't on the radar.

But if that makes you feel relevant or empowered to send a cranky letter to the Mail Tribune, go for it.

This ruling permits bloggers and private citizens access to the CHL info too, so what message is being sent by singling out the Mail Tribune? ANYONE can get the list from ANY county. This info--for EVERY COUNTY--will be on the internet within days.

And I can tell you that any local newspaper gets 50 cranky calls a day from people threatening to cancel subscriptions. They don't take that stuff seriously and won't here. The Mail Tribune has a lot of problems; a possible subscription cancellation by a few gun owners ain't on the radar.

But if that makes you feel relevant or empowered to send a cranky letter to the Mail Tribune, go for it.

Yes that is why canceling your subscription has an effect. ;)

Edit...I guess if they are only giving names and nothing more it would not be apples to apples comparison.

I don't believe the government should have the right to give out the information. They are potentialy putting these people in harms way.

It would seem to me that the entire point is being missed. There should be no list because there should be no permits!!!!! No permit required, no information provided - ergo no list to disclose. Arizona comes to mind.

Yes that is why canceling your subscription has an effect. ;)

Cancel away. Let's see if there is an effect. Wanna wager?

Newspapers view these threats to cancel subscriptions the same way bureacrats do when you scream about calling your congressman. ::::yawn:::: It's a dying business because of it's business model, but this burp ain't gonna affect 'em. They'll get plaudits for standing up for freedom of government information.

Hey CEF,

What do you care if people cancel their subscriptions? What does it matter if it makes any difference? Will it? Probably not but they don't have to support the paper if they don't want too. At least it may raise some eyebrows at the paper, or any other group that wants to publish the lists. I think some well written opinions should be submitted to the paper at least. It just saddens my that some people think that somehow "outing" permit holders makes society safe. What kind of backwards thinking is that. How come I can't get someone's driving record or vehicle registration but they can now know if I have a carry permit? :huh:

Newspapers view these threats to cancel subscriptions the same way bureacrats do when you scream about calling your congressman. ::::yawn:::: It's a dying business because of it's business model, but this burp ain't gonna affect 'em. They'll get plaudits for standing up for freedom of government information.

So, what will you do about it when it is your time? Same thing you are doing here? .
Do you have anything positive for the folks who oppose this (that would be about 99% of us CHL holders)?
Newspapers are swirling down the toilet one after another now days, so yes, letters and e-mails of disapproval will have an effect, especially in mostly rural part of the state.
Maybe not immediately, but it will. At this point in the Tribune's life they think any publicity is good publicity. Sure they'll sell papers because of it, but by this time next year they will probably be gone, or darn close to it - and that I will wager on.

Not too excited by the idea , but perhaps it will have an unintended outcome - it does put people on notice that if you aren't on the list , you are probably more vulnerable than someone that is . I don't want to be "outed " by some zealot that thinks everyone has the right to know my private decision to protect myself . But every day our privacy and our rights are eroded away a little bit more . Boycott the Mail Tribune ? Go for it ! That rag has been slipping for years .

The Tribune first requested this information years ago, and pretty much every news organization in the state supported them. It makes no sense to criticize them now just because a court finally said they can have it. The only place your letters can possibly have an effect at this point are your state legislators' offices.

Not necessarily so Zach. Let's say the paper publishes a list with 3,000+ names on it. And in the next month, subscriptions and circulation in general, drops by nearly the same figure.
Now most papers aren't independently owned, they are usually part of a media conglomerate.
Do you think that same media conglomerate will allow papers in other MSAs to pursue the same story?
I don't. That industry is in the hurt locker as it is. I am sure they can ill afford to take even a 2% hit in circulation.
Even if they are independent, I have no doubt the "story" of the hit to circulation will spread like wildfire in the industry.
Of course your idea of "making sense" and mine may differ.

The appeals court concluded that the sheriff failed to show each individual licensee was exempt from disclosure for security reasons, as required by law. The law requires that exemptions must be proven on an individual basis and with sufficient justification.

It's for licensees from 2006 and 2007. Apparently, the sheriff didn't obtain anything to show an individual should be exempt. That's why applications have a page to request exemption from disclosure. Guess the sheriff didn't for a couple years. I believe individual licensees could ask for exemption.

Last Edited:

What are the terms, that they will go out of business because 20 or 30 lost subscriptions? I'm not vain enough to think they care, it's a principle thing. This is the real world, a line has to be drawn somewhere

The Net gut checked the newspapers, Craigslist finished them off. The industry is a dead man walking at this point.

The Mail Tribune has said it doesn't intend to publish the list. <broken link removed>

"Freedom of information" or whatever you want to call it here is a two edged sword. It has allowed the media to get all sorts of dirt on people in high places - dirt we need to know about.

Boycott the newspapers big advertisers and you can kill it. For most papers it's the big car dealer and grocery store ads that pay the bills. That's who you send your boycott letters to.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top