JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have had the same issue with my IWB, but I also carry a very heavy .45, I alternate from IWB to OWB. I have shed 25 lbs and it seems to have gotten somewhat better but I think the majority of the problem in the weight of what i am carrying.

The transition from hip carry to appendix isn't nearly as bad as you might think - it took me an afternoon of dry practice and then it really was just a natural thing. I won't go back to IWB hip carry - and honestly unless I'm open carrying, I don't see myself going back to any hip carry method. AIWB is for me a faster draw, easier to conceal (especially bending and kneeling - which I do a lot of at work) and easy to access with my off hand. It's more comfy too. The only thing I will say - is that say you're in a car/truck and you need to reach for something behind you, maybe something on the floor behind you - you can get poked in an uncomfortable way. It's temporary and will pass.

Sometimes I'd wind up with a really sore spot on my hip after 10+ hrs in the truck from the seat back pushing into my gun. I've had near perfect indentations, right down to the glock logo, in my skin after a long day of driving. Haven't had anything like that with the appendix carry rig yet. It's been about 7 months since I switched carry positions. Sometimes you don't know how bad you had it, or how good you have it now, until you try something new.

Well, I hate resurrecting this one but I'm having the same issue with nerve pain in my back, hip and leg. I've tried a couple other options that I already had on hand like cross draw and 1:00 IWB but not very satisfactory. Now I'm carrying at 3:00 OWB and it has helped a lot but I don't really like it much. Guess I'm just venting 'cause I like IWB and have a lot of money invested in gear to carry that style. Poo!

As a follow up, I reread my previous comment and its mostly still true. My hypothesis is that the constant pressure against the nerve was negatively impacting it. My understanding is that nerves run through muscles. This is supported, at least anecdotally by the fact that if I stay in good shape and stretch regularly, I can carry IWB for a day or two at a time with no issues.

AIWB does not work for me, I can't sit in any kind of chair or car with the gun in the lower part of my back, so as much as I feel it far from optimal, what I'm still left with 99% of the time is pocket carry (SW442). We do the best we can with what we have.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top