JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Is your HD handgun suppressed?

• Yes, it is!

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • No, but I am seriously considering doing so.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Nope. Don't see the need.

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • No and it isn't legally an option where I am in the world.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Um, eh (bromp!), what wuz duh ques'n again?

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
In the most recent Forgotten Weapons episode, Ian goes on about why it is a good idea, in his mind, to have a silencer on your home defense handgun. He mentioned his personal HD handgun is a Maxim 9 integrally suppressed pistol.

Clip is here:

Your thoughts on his rationale? Do keep your HD pistol with a can in place?

This has long been questioned, and while many have an opinion one way or another, practically and expense usually prevail!

My 2 cents on this, based on years of training and actually doing for real:
The human ears tune things out, like a shot gun or pistol blast, so a blast inside an enclosed space isn't going to be a big deal. ( Unless its something YUGE, like a .300 win mag) so permeant hearing damage isn't as big a deal as folks would have you believe! Second, suppressed isn't actually that quiet unless you use dedicated ammunition I.E. Subsonic, so,............
Size and weight is also a serious factor, how easy or hard it might be to get a sight picture quickly, and getting a follow up shot it needed. The obvious points don't always shine through as benefits.

To answer the O.P, NO I do not run my primary H.D./Carry pistol suppressed, but I do run a suppressed AR SBR with dedicated NON sub sonic HD ammo! I don't care about the noise, I care about the flash and blast signature, not giving away my position, and taking the "BOOM" out of the mix, makes it hard to know where the shot(s) came from!
Knowing HOW to use a suppressed weapon in a defensive ( or even offensive) situation is key. You can get yourself into trouble with a suppressed weapon if you don't understand the subtle tactics that go with using one, especially if there are other "Shooters" on your team!
Again, just my 2 cents!

Nope...Don't make no sense putting a suppressor on a Colt 1st Model Dragoon...:eek: :D

Just kidding kinda...if I were to use a handgun for Home Defense...it would be my Colt Series '70 Government Model...I've shot it far too long and I know where and how it shoots with a 230 grain bullet to go and change things now.
So no for me...but as always if it works for you...then go for it.
Andy

Nope...Don't make no sense putting a suppressor on a Colt 1st Model Dragoon...:eek: :D

Just kidding kinda...if I were to use a handgun for Home Defense...it would be my Colt Series '70 Government Model...I've shot it far too long and I know where and how it shoots with a 230 grain bullet to go and change things now.
So no for me...but as always if it works for you...then go for it.
Andy
Ya know, a Colt Dragoon might just be the hot ticket with a first gen Maxim Suppressor, you might just have a very slick shootin frontiersmen's iron!

Just Kidding, would be a real waste of a perfectly good Maxim!

If I had easy access to my handguns, instead of having to have them safely locked away [from ME? I OWN them!!], my choice would be my .44cal Ruger Old Army. The humungous KA-boom, smoke and flame, even if I missed, would surely be enough to convince the miscreant to get on the floor with his hands holding his ankles and with his elbows in his ears.

Well since the Dragoon weighs in at 4 pounds...I can just drop it hard on his foot....
By the time he gets it off his foot the cops outta be there....then there is no gun needing to be cleaned...:D
Andy

I can see the advantages both ways. For me, I want the concussion of a gun blast to do a few things. First, scare other bad guys who may be in the house. Second, act as a deterrent to other bad guys on the property. If some guy is rumaging around my shop and hears gun shots, he might be less inclined to shop around. And if I was in the city, it could alert neighbors to be on guard/call the police.

Lastly, when I need to shoot at a wild animal to protect live stock, I want the noise to scare them off if I do miss.

Another consideration may be how a judge or jury may view you if it ever came to that. A silencer isn't exactly viewed as a "good guy" tool in the public eye.
That's why you just bury them in the back yard. Lol. I kid. I kid.

SBR-yes.
Handgun-no.
Same, at the present. Various lil' carbines have a can in place. Centerfire handguns do not. (Though I am mildly intrigued by the Maxim 9 he mentioned, but probably not enough to bother with it.)
Another consideration may be how a judge or jury may view you if it ever came to that. A silencer isn't exactly viewed as a "good guy" tool in the public eye.
When I posed the question to the wife that's what she said right off the bat. She thought, from a physics standpoint, the idea was sound, but that a prosecutor trying to spin it might be an issue.

Same, at the present. Various lil' carbines have a can in place. Centerfire handguns do not. (Though I am mildly intrigued by the Maxim 9 he mentioned, but probably not enough to bother with it.)

When I posed the question to the wife that's what she said right off the bat. She thought, from a physics standpoint, the idea was sound, but that a prosecutor trying to spin it might be an issue.
I don't think it would be a big deal in a red state, but here in Brown's Utopia, it might be best to use an old wood 870 as the HD gun. Not my first choice, but nobody will be able to paint you as some gun nut, just looking for an opportunity to shoot.

I'm just not a fan of suppressed center fire handguns, so no.

If I ever purchase the KS7, it might suited up with the Salvo once I get it, maybe…

The human ears tune things out, like a shot gun or pistol blast, so a blast inside an enclosed space isn't going to be a big deal. ( Unless its something YUGE, like a .300 win mag) so permeant hearing damage isn't as big a deal as folks would have you believe! Second, suppressed isn't actually that quiet unless you use dedicated ammunition I.E. Subsonic, so,............
well, the ear doesn't actually do much- it's the brain that becomes hyper focussed and selects what info it's going to pay heed to.
So even if you don't "hear " it, your ears will still be getting damaged by the pressure blast.

In answer to the question- yes, I have a can on the end of my Stribog and a can on the end of my 10.5 " AR.
The gunshots will still sound sufficiently gunshotty to any other lurking miscreants ,i'll hopefully protect my ears some and not get blinded by muzzle flash in low light.
And I've not heard a really compelling argument against having suppression.
I've also got a supressed 22 pistol. Whilst not the best man stopper, it's ability to focus 14 rounds, almost recoilessly, in to a 3" group in about 2 seconds seems handy in a pinch.

All that, locks, lights and cameras are my 1st defensive line, so hopefully I won't need to find out.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top