JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Before I get behind any "papers please" legislation that targets anyone I want to know exactly what constitutes "reason to believe." That sounds very vague to me and seems like any officer that wanted to harass any citizen could just do so at their discretion.

My reply was carefully worded, I said legally. It appears you watched the law being broken. Did you report it?

Ranb
Report it to who?????
The Governor issued the orders by Exec. order.
Even if the law was being broken the AG made it clear he isn't going to push for prosecution!
Once they have that voter registration card in their hand it's a done deal.

You been hiding in a cave or something? This issue has been in the news and all over talk radio for YEARS!
Oregonians for Immigration Reform started this fight against Teddy K's idiocy AT LEAST 4 years ago that I am aware of, and probably longer.

And people wonder why some of us are certain voters aren't informed!!!!!!!

Report it to who?????
The Governor issued the orders by Exec. order.

I do not believe this at all. Was it a law or an executuve order? There is a difference. Surely you have a link to the law or order that "give(s) any Hispanic that had a metricular (sp?) card a driver's license and register them to vote."

Make a claim, produce the evidence please.

Ranb

The matricula used to be an acceptable form of id to get drivers' licenses before it became illegal to issue licenses to illegal immigrants. Any DMV worker registering a non-citizen to vote would have done so in violation of law and policy.

Gov. Jan Brewer ignored criticism from President Barack Obama and signed into law a bill on Friday that supporters said would take handcuffs off police in dealing with illegal immigration in Arizona, the nation's busiest gateway for human and drug smuggling from Mexico.

"We in Arizona have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act," Brewer said after signing the law. "But decades of inaction and misguided policy have created a dangerous and unacceptable situation."

Mexico has already warned the proposal could affect cross-border relations. On Thursday, Mexico's Senate unanimously passed a resolution urging Brewer to veto the law.

The law sends "a clear message that Arizona is unfriendly to undocumented aliens," said Peter Spiro, a Temple University law professor and author of the book "Beyond Citizenship: American Identity After Globalization."

Protesters also gathered in Miami Friday evening at the Freedom Tower, where thousands of Cuban refugees were processed after fleeing the communist revolution.

The bill will take effect in late July or early August, and Brewer ordered the state's law enforcement licensing agency to develop a training course on how to implement it without violating civil rights.

"We must enforce the law evenly, and without regard to skin color, accent, or social status," she said. "We must prove the alarmists and the cynics wrong."

Brewer, who faces a tough election battle and growing anger in the state over illegal immigrants, added that the law "protects every Arizona citizen."

'Political handcuffs'
Anti-immigrant anger has swelled in the past month, after rancher Rob Krentz was found dead on his land north of Douglas, near the Mexico border. Authorities believe he was fatally shot by an illegal immigrant possibly connected to a drug smuggling cartel.

Arizona has an estimated 460,000 illegal immigrants, and its harsh, remote desert serves as the corridor for the majority of illegal immigrants and drugs moving north into the U.S. from Mexico.

The bill's Republican sponsor, state Rep. Russell Pearce of Mesa, said Obama and other critics of the bill were "against law enforcement, our citizens and the rule of law."

Pearce said the legislation would remove "political handcuffs" from police and help drive illegal immigrants from the state.
"Illegal is illegal," said Pearce. "We'll have less crime. We'll have lower taxes. We'll have safer neighborhoods. We'll have shorter lines in the emergency rooms. We'll have smaller classrooms."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36735281/ns/politics/

As much as I don't like the potential for invasion of privacy by the police, I can't think of a better way to address the epidemic of illegal immigrants the country currently faces. My wife is a school teacher and has a large number of illegals in her classes sucking up tax dollars that should be used for the children that are here legally. I asked her one day what would happen if she started reporting the families of the illegals to INS, and was told that she would probably get fired. Personally I hope the law works in arizona, and that we adopt it in nation-wide if it does.

Oh and before anyone calls me a racist, my father was Mexican, and my grandmother immigrated here *legally*.

Last night I went to many web sites to see what people thought of the Arizona immigration bill being passed. To my surprise almost ALL of the people posting agreed or stood behind the decision for Arizona to start doing something. I went to 10 or more web sites. It was a real eye opener that us American citizens know illegal immigration is a huge overlooked problem and we want it fixed! WE the People!!!

"...which threaten to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans...," Obama said

---------------------

Like getting in line....

Like obeying laws....

I do not like this law. But if there is one thing I can not stomach is people standing up to tell us that they are breaking the law and we need to respect them for it. What if I cut down a shotgun without paying the $200 tax or converted my AR-15 to full auto? Even most gun owners would call me a dum-***.

Whenever I travel overseas, the one thing I do not do is break the local law. In the USA, illegal aliens by their very definition have no respect for the law, should never get amnesty and should never be allowed back in the country after they get booted out.

Ranb

We all know there is a real Huge problem with illegal immigrants in this country. I think what Arizona is try to do should be commended. It has been pushed under the table for far too long. Law abiding citizens shouldn't mind being asked to show proof of citizenship... a drivers license or ID. If they are here illegally they should be made to go back from where they came. That may be tough and I will get flack but hey. If you are here illegally, you shouldn't be able to stay. I know there are gonna be some hard calls but they need to be made.

Agreed, I applaud AZ for this right thinking law.. it's coming to the table quite late for the many tens of thousands of the victims of illegal aliens

9,000 + US citizens are killed each year by illegals, about 50% by drunk driving, 50% by outright murder. In 10 years that's 90,000 Americans. Imagine seeing all those men, women and children staring at you on a huge field

Then there's all the rapes, child molestations, robberies, beatings, drunk driving which results in less than death, drug trafficking illegals do. We had better wake up and realize that we are in a war and we had better act like it. The minimal duty to have residency papers on you as a guest in our nation, is perfectly acceptable and reasonable. If I go to Europe I would expect to have to have them on me at all times, and I am 100% European in DNA

PS Rasmussen poll stated that 70% of AZ residents approve of this new law

I'm pretty sure that by "people", the founders meant "citizen(s)."

Not a citizen? Not fully protected.
That is the problem I have with the prisoners at Gitmo, being allowed rights to due process, miranda etc. They should be considered POWs, and subject to military tribunal.

I doubt that illegal aliens in this country get treated worse than they would in Mexico in the hands of the Federales. And I seriously doubt the Federales' actions are subject to probable cause.

But they don't know if you're a citizen or not unless they determine you aren't. And to do that they have to search you. You're argument is worthless.

If the law goes into effect in 3 months I would guess the neighboring states will be the major victims.

This is really a complex issue. I believe we have about 20 million illegals in the US, that most of these are from Mexico, and that it is resonable to assume that at least 10% of Mexican citizens are living in the states. Based on my unoffical walmart observation polls almost of of these illegals have reproduced in the states multiple times, giving birth to US Citizens. Of course the business that wanted to cheapen the costs of labor in the US used influence to allow them in. The federal and state governments applied rules because of this influence to not even reveal identies of potential illegals based on social security numbers being used by multiple people, or tax information.

This problem has gotten so out of hand, and would involve so many people, that any solution will be so economically harmful to both countries that nothing has been done. Any potential solution will also be harmful to the millions of native born US citizens that would see their parents deported.

Practical solutions are amnesty (not good because it will only encourage more illegals), Mexico and America becoming one country (OK it's goofy but over 10% of them are here now), or some sort of deal to mitigate the invasion. I like this idea, that Mexico set up safe retirement communites for 12 million elderly Americans so they can live well on social security down there, to offset their invasion of our country. This could work out well for all players, and not many solutions have that going for them.

Ah yes..these are those wonderful folks everybody's feeling so sorry for.. What a great bunch.. These people have no respect for our Country..or our laws.. Send 'em packin... The sooner the better..

Here's the same riot shot from the air.. you can see the size and aggressiveness of the swarm much better in this one.. note the thrown water bottles and rocks that hit cops.. those are felony crimes. They would have killed the lone white bearded roundup supporter if the cops had not shielded and evacuated him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c6KB...layer_embedded

It's way past time for Governor Brewer to call up the militia

The Police having to protect an AMERICAN citizen..on AMERICAN soil..forom illegal foriegn invaders.. And still..there are those idiots..who stand up for these criminals..and whine about AZ. finally doing something.. What more has to be said...

It is my understanding that people can't be asked for their "papers" randomly. Only after a legitimate law enforcement action. I hope that they don't abuse this. Everyone in this country has rights here, illegal or not, they will be given a fair trial and charged. Enforce the law!

The Police having to protect an AMERICAN citizen..on AMERICAN soil..forom illegal foriegn invaders.. And still..there are those idiots..who stand up for these criminals..and whine about AZ. finally doing something.. What more has to be said...

We are second class "citizens" in the nation that our ancestors founded.. while kid gloves are used on wild savage invaders with no respect for our laws or way of life. The world is upside down. I, for one stand ready to be called up for militia duty. I have all the gear and skill I need to do any job required

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top