JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ura-Ki
Here is Marcy on the Colt Revolving Rifle:
"For my own part,I look upon Colt's new patent rifle as a most excellent arm for border service. It gives six shots in more rapid succession than any other rifle I know of, and these,if properly expended, are oftentimes sufficient to decide a contest; moreover, it is the most reliable and certain weapon to fire that I have used,and I can not resist the force of my conviction that, if I were alone on the prairies,and expected an attack from a body of Indains, I am not acquainted with any arm I would as soon have in my hands as this."
Andy

Last Edited:
While typing away at Macy I see that you read him ... sorry to repeat his quote.
Saw an original for sale on a website , it was about half of what i paid for my house..LOL
Owning an original would be very cool , just to see the Man's genius.
Andy

Last Edited:
It's funny really, Mine is so worn and beat up from a hard life probably spending most of it's life as a mantle decoration that it could actually be worth a bunch ( probably not) I see them from time to time in like condition and they get any where from a few hundred to several thousand. It's the ones that were well preserved and still shoot able that get the big bucks! That's why the replicas are cool, We can see how good the originals were and have a safe and reliable arm to enjoy. I love what Sam Colt did for this country, and I love his genius and salesmanship. Some of the finest and most valuable of all arms ever created came from the hands of Col. Samuel Colt and his people! Now for a nice single action army to go along with it!

I'm not a fan of the so called "black rifles". I shot an M-14 back in the Navy, and it felt just right. Fast forward a couple years and I'd joined the Guard. First time I shot a M-16 because of my cheek weld what I heard was the recoil spring in the plastic stock go "BOING". I thought it was funny going boing like that. I'm also not a fan of supressive fire power perfering instead a one shot one kill philosophy. I do like the .556/223 in a 14" Contender. If I was to get a semi auto military clone it would be a M-1A or a FN-FAL.
Well if you switch out your buffer with a JP Industries Buffer the "Boing" noise goes away. It is pricy though, but if it really bothers you. I have 6 or 8 AR-15's at least three with the JP, nut hey the "Boing" does not bother me all that much. I have three AR-10 and one 30 Carbine, two 30-30's and a 7 MM Magnum, All I shoot are 556 or 30 Carbine for the most part.
I too liked the M-14, and certainly think it superior in many ways to the M-16, but as a Navy guy you did not have to stroll a couple of klicks with one, I can't shoot what I can't see and in the parts of Vietnam I recall there were few long distance opportunities. Even with the magazines downloaded to 18 rounds (20 round magazines, NO 30 rounders then) you could still easily carry twice as much ammo. I never owned an AR till five years ago. I like the 5.56 because its cheaper fun. I am not in love with it My 7 MM Mag is great for distance, but not real "fun" to shoot

My thought on the subject is EVERYTHING I own has a practical purpose for some one in the family or I find a good home for it. That includes MY firearms. I have several milsurps (all shootable ), a few shotguns of various age and use, from bird/small game, to home defense, to Bear protection, and a recent purchase of a double stack 1911 in 9MM. These have the specific use of game acquisition or self/family defense. TO ME the AR platform is not yet in a suitable caliber for me to invest $1000.00 in(However a recent article in "Gun Digest" has mentioned that some AR makers are adding larger calibers, but for me the jumped MY preferred 30-06 )(IT is NOT a .308 as .308 is less than acceptable in the environments of Alaska) . that I arm for what will eat me as well as what I want to eat.

I'm no builder but I would think you would need to build a 30-06 on an AR10 platform because of the length of the cartridge.
The AR-10 magwell is too short for the 30-06. You would have make a new rifle entirely, whether it is AR-styled or what is up to the person making it. Noreen makes one in 30-06. But depending on the load your shooting, might as well just be shooting a .308.

Last Edited:
The AR-10 magwell is too short for the 30-06. You would have make a new rifle entirely, whether it he AR-styled or what is up to the person making it. Noreen makes one in 30-06. But depending on the load your shooting, might as well just be shooting a .308.

Thanks for that info - I am still building my AR knowledge and like little tidbits on weird stuff.

The AR-10 magwell is too short for the 30-06. You would have make a new rifle entirely, whether it he AR-styled or what is up to the person making it. Noreen makes one in 30-06. But depending on the load your shooting, might as well just be shooting a .308.

Thanks for that info - I am still building my AR knowledge and like little tidbits on weird stuff.

Here is more info on the Noreen - for around $1,600 you can have an AR in .30-06. Allow me to present the Noreen BN36 "Carbine Assassin". 20-round mags:

image-660x282.jpe

But how does it run you ask??:

Here are 2 links for more info:

http://onlylongrange.com/bn36-carbine-assassin/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/12/14/noreen-bn36-the-30-06-ar/

I'm afraid that is one of the few AR rifles that would hold my interest.

Interesting yes, but I'd personally stick with .308 for my .30 cal AR needs. Just a personal preference. Mostly because that gun is kind of a one-off special deal. If multiple manufacturers took it on, I might have more interest.

I wouldn't really call it an AR, but we'd be arguing semantics at this point I guess.

I'll just stick with my .308... And save up for the .338 I originally was saving up for till this thread came about.

Does it consist of an AR operating system? The .30'06 the only reason that I would even consider and AR type system. $1600.00 is a bit steep. It depends upon how well it handles recoil (it seems as if it handles the round perfectly).

This, and the fact that it isn't either a 5.56 x 45 or a 7.62 x 51 is the only reason that I find it attractive.

Due to inline design, it would probably have less recoil (or at least muzzle rise) than a M1 Garand. From what I can read, its the same operation as a standard AR. In that it uses a gas tube, as opposed to a piston.

I wouldn't consider it expensive, cheaper than my .308, and much much cheaper than the next rifle I'm planning to get (in regards to ammo).

Last Edited:
Does it consist of an AR operating system?

Hard to tell without a breakout diagram, but it appears to have a gas block on the barrel and a standard AR buffer tube on the stock. I haven't seen the bolt, but I'm guessing it's running on a DI system like many AR's.

And yes, the price is a bit steep. Maybe if it catches on, others will build them too and the price will come down. I don't know if this is an AR10 lower they're using, if it is, it would seem there would be a market to make uppers and mags that anyone could use with their AR10 lowers. Might also help bring the price down. But my guess is that's a custom lower.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top