JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
.308 is a fad. Every one knows .30-06 is the best .30 cal round.:cool:

7.62x39???? even the Soviets moved away from that inaccurate, slow poke of a round. Fun for plinking and maybe thousands of peasants spraying and praying....but a serious round?:rolleyes:

Brutus Out

cropped-dsc05463.jpg
Any of those self contained cartridges are a fad.
Everyone knows Muzzleloaders rule ! LOL
Andy

7.62x39???? even the Soviets moved away from that inaccurate, slow poke of a round. Fun for plinking and maybe thousands of peasants spraying and praying....but a serious round?:rolleyes:

Brutus Out

That's all Russian Men need to kill moose! Why need anything else:p.

.308 has replaced 30-06 for the most part, just look at what the new rifles are being chambered in.

No argument that 30-06 is a more powerful round but technology has changed a lot of things; most long range performance rifles I see being built are .308 or 6.5's but I haven't seen anyone build out a 30-06 (not that it hasn't happened but I just haven't seen any).

View attachment 287343
Any of those self contained cartridges are a fad.
Everyone knows Muzzleloaders rule ! LOL
Andy

I'm looking forward to try those out one of these days. Just doesn't seem quite right not to have at least one in the collection. I keep running into trouble finding one with a 30-round ball/patch magazine ;)

In the meantime, I do eye the occasional used Hawken listing.

I don't think it's the difference of the opinion, but the tone in how it was presented. When a new member comes in and in their first post or two start trash-talking a certain group or maybe a brand, etc., how do you think folks are going to react?
Pretty much this. I don't care for the AKs (and this is coming from a guy who owned what was essentially an AK on steroids), but you don't see me joining a forum and make my first post talking bad about em in such a way.

I get your jist, but many people are just kind of harsh with words, especially old time "gun guys". May not be right, but he's not offensive.
Its all how one presents oneself. In how he presented himself in the first post, not exactly the best first impression.

Only good if you don't have to neuter it. But .338 Lapua or go home. ;)

That being said, I really don't LOVE the AR, the rifle I really want just isn't available here and probably will never be. I have ARs because they're easy, and I know how to use them better than I do an AK. Whether it be an AR in .308 or an AR-15.

I have always loved the .30-'06. Daddy's last hunting rifle. He could "pick the flea off the ear of a deer" at 300 yards. The man taught me well.

I'll be picking up a nice USGI rebuild of the .30 Carbine in 2017. I hope that I can afford a $1300.00 James River Armory ("Rock-Ola") at that time. A great home-defense round and efficient out to 150 yards for both deer and varmint.

Jim Cirillo was right on top of things when he used the .30 Carbine in the NYPD "Stakeout Squad". He killed more bad guys than you can shake a stick at.

That's all Russian Men need to kill moose! Why need anything else:p.

.308 has replaced 30-06 for the most part, just look at what the new rifles are being chambered in.

No argument that 30-06 is a more powerful round but technology has changed a lot of things; most long range performance rifles I see being built are .308 or 6.5's but I haven't seen anyone build out a 30-06 (not that it hasn't happened but I just haven't seen any).

We'll chat when .308 has been around 110 plus years and has won a World War.... Any serious rifleman needs no more than a M1 Garand and a good bolt action in 06 for the gentlemanly hunting of Rocky Mountain or Roosevelt elk in the near the snow line....:rolleyes:

Brutus Out

Etrain ,
Thats why I have so many muzzleloaders . I can get 30 rounds out , just takes awhile , not to forget to mention it is a bit difficult to carry 30 rifles at a time. LOL
Andy

Well I'm at least moving the right direction - currently have this on layaway - at least puts me back 100 or so years:

image.jpeg

That takes me back. The last hunt we went upon was in the late 1960's. We stayed at the Indian Ford Campground.

Those were the days.
We'll chat when .308 has been around 110 plus years and has won a World War.... Any serious rifleman needs no more than a M1 Garand and a good bolt action in 06 for the gentlemanly hunting of Rocky Mountain or Roosevelt elk in the near the snow line....:rolleyes:

Brutus Out

Very nice etrain.
Brutus , Some units of The Panama Defense Forces were still using M1 rifles.
It was a bit surreal to see and be shot at with those to say the least ...
Maybe we need a M1 vs. M16 thread ... LOL
Andy

In my cigar collecting forum, we have a saying; "...smoke what you like, like what you smoke...". If you don't like the AR / .556 platform, that's cool, but to show up and essentially throw down on what you know is a large number of AR shooters seems like stirring the pot for no good reason. There are clearly a lot of people that get a lot of utility from the platform, for lots of different reasons. As others have said, that post feels like a troll attempt, little more.

Shoot what you like, like what you shoot, don't thumb your nose at other people with different opinions. Seems simple enough to me.

:s0101:

Brutus Out

With all due respect, new technology is advancing thousands of times faster now then what we had 110 years ago. The odds of anything lasting that long ever again is almost zero.

By your logic, the 7.62x39 has killed more people and has been in more wars/battles then the 30-06 so that would make that the better round?

I'll keep my money on the .308 for now and I guess we will see what the next big deal is when it comes out;).

In the end it's just my opinion and I'm not really all that passionate about the subject as I can't afford 95% of the guns or caliber's I want that are out there:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews