JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have no desire to use subsonic rounds while hunting. There is no avoidance eliminating the sonic crack even with a can. One mentioned the prospect of not scaring game when can in use. Really? Most years where I hunt Deer season is very dry. One misstep on a dry twig the size of a toothpick can send a whitetail deer 100 yards away hopping. (a muley might stop and look, especially if young) You must be deaf to say a can is quieter than tiny dry twig.
I use Electronic ear buds while hunting, they do pretty good at clamping off sharp sounds plus I can adjust the amplification for out side sound and seem to be less directional than the electronic muffs I had before though still not as good detecting sound direction as without them.. The only draw back I found was I use to have a down jacket I liked very much but had to stop wearing because it had a synthetic fabric cover that when I turned my head the hairs on the back of my neck would drive me nuts scratching on the collar. You'd swear someone forty yards away could hear it too, and drive you crazy with it turned on especially when all was windless and quiet.

I have a Sig Spear LT (with SBR stamp) and I am planning on picking up a 6.75" 300 AAC Blackout barrel for it or a 5.5" Rattler upper depending on what deal I can find. I appreciate your feedback on the Dead Air Nomad. I will look into this suppressor.

My biggest problem with buying a suppressor is that it is an expensive mistake if you don't get what you are expecting (like a 5.56 can on a 5.5" barrel) and there is really no way to try before I buy. I find feedback from actual owners to usually be the most reliable feedback.
Exactly why I asked. Thinking of a suppressed 8" 300 blk. The concern is investing $1000 plus waiting a year before you even really know what you purchased. That's a fairly sizeable investment to end up being disappointed in your choice. It's like buying a car based on pictures without ever testing driving first.

I've determined that if I proceed, I want the least amount of hassle. I don't want to go with a proprietary mounting system that cannot be changed out. I would want a reliable can that holds up and suppresses well. It doesn't need to be the lightest unobtainium, and it doesn't need to be belt fed rated, or ridiculously over priced. However it absolutely does need to be from a company that is good to deal with and stands behind their products, because I don't want to married to a registered NFA item from a jackass company. Surely there are options available and I am open to suggestions.

Most youtube reviews on just about everything I have seen seem to have a motive for approving or disapproving of a product. Most youtube reviewers don't seem to live with a product long enough to really understand the long term pros / cons of actually owning the product.

Just like Amazon reviews most website user reviews are just as likely to be shill reviews as real reviews.

And like you said statistics are pretty much useless and easy to portray something that isn't really relevant.

Feedback on forums like this are what I usually give the most creedence to.
Yes places like this can be fantastic for getting info from what are often real world, not people paid to say something. Before Al invented the net we had magazines. Most of what you read there was entertainment but, other than that worthless. They survived off paid advertising so they were loath to really tell the "bad" about some product they were "testing". One outfit did try to do one for guns along the lines of Consumer Reports but they were even more worthless as they just did not have the money they needed to do this well. As we see now a LOT of people make money off Youtube so they of course are saying what makes them money.

After being 100% a revolver lady for the last three decades I recently bought a CZ P07 Urban Grey tac. The 07 would replace the SW 686 snubby that is my current EDC. My main incentive is actually the possible use of the 07 as a suppressor host.

When I get a duck flock again, and maybe a few sheep, it would be better to take care of the occasional predator with a suppressed 07 instead of an unsuppressed 686. Especially at night, when people might think I am poaching deer. In addition, in the plant breeding field, a suppressed 07 might be a better EDC. I could use it to take out the occasional gopher or rabbit that was chowing down on the very crops I spent days hand pollinating without disturbing neighbors. I could just wear the gun and attach the suppressor to the day pack I carry in the field . Of course all that assumes I can actually hit MOGopher and not just MOBarn with my 07, which has yet to be established.

I do my practicing/recreational shooting in the woods. I would really prefer to be able to do much of it without alerting and disturbing everyone for miles. If I switched to a suppressed 07 for practicing livestock and garden defense that would help a lot.

The guy who sold me the 07 was experienced with many suppressor on many handguns, including on the CZ P09, the big brother of the 07 and his favorite and gun host. He brought along his two favorites so I could try their balance on the 07. The CGS Mod-9 I liked a lot. So I'm saving my money.

What fun being a rank beginner again. What accessories? Laser? Flashlight? Which grip backstrap? How to holster. Etc.

I know a want a suppressor. I even know which one. And I'm saving my $$.

So where's a thread or link that will tell me exactly how to buy one, what paperwork I have to do to order a suppressor, etc?

You might have an NFA dealer nearby to walk in and shop. SilencerShop works with some local NFA dealers. For these you can get local advice, pay online, and then SilencerShop sends it to your local dealer for the wait. The dealer and SilencerShop can help with the Form 4.

I have no desire to use subsonic rounds while hunting. There is no avoidance eliminating the sonic crack even with a can. One mentioned the prospect of not scaring game when can in use. Really? Most years where I hunt Deer season is very dry. One misstep on a dry twig the size of a toothpick can send a whitetail deer 100 yards away hopping. (a muley might stop and look, especially if young) You must be deaf to say a can is quieter than tiny dry twig.
I use Electronic ear buds while hunting, they do pretty good at clamping off sharp sounds plus I can adjust the amplification for out side sound and seem to be less directional than the electronic muffs I had before though still not as good detecting sound direction as without them.. The only draw back I found was I use to have a down jacket I liked very much but had to stop wearing because it had a synthetic fabric cover that when I turned my head the hairs on the back of my neck would drive me nuts scratching on the collar. You'd swear someone forty yards away could hear it too, and drive you crazy with it turned on especially when all was windless and quiet.
I don't see the point of a suppressor for hunting. I have to have them for work, I couldn't do my job without them. 10/22, mark3, and a 30cal titanium can. Looking into shotgun suppressors now

Exactly why I asked. Thinking of a suppressed 8" 300 blk. The concern is investing $1000 plus waiting a year before you even really know what you purchased. That's a fairly sizeable investment to end up being disappointed in your choice. It's like buying a car based on pictures without ever testing driving first.

I've determined that if I proceed, I want the least amount of hassle. I don't want to go with a proprietary mounting system that cannot be changed out. I would want a reliable can that holds up and suppresses well. It doesn't need to be the lightest unobtainium, and it doesn't need to be belt fed rated, or ridiculously over priced. However it absolutely does need to be from a company that is good to deal with and stands behind their products, because I don't want to married to a registered NFA item from a jackass company. Surely there are options available and I am open to suggestions.
MK Tactical in Hillsboro typically has a decent selection on hand and is a Silencer Shop kiosk dealer, meaning you can do all the paperwork, photo and fingerprints right there at the kiosk.

Doesn't get much simpler than that.

Those of you who own suppressors do you still wear hearing protection when shooting with the suppressor on?
Sometimes
If the answer is "some times" at what level do you feel hearing protection is needed? For example:

1) All supersonic loads?
Generally yes
2) All supersonic loads above a certain cartridge / caliber? What is the cut off caliber / cartridge for you?
I generally only fire subsonic rounds with suppressed firearms. Haven't spent much time firing supersonic rounds suppressed.
3) Subsonic loads above a certain cartridge / caliber? What is the cut off caliber / cartridge for you?
22LR are no problem, 300 BLK out of bolt action or single shot and 9mm out of PCC and handguns, 38 special/357 mag, and 44 mag, 45 colt, mostly out of lever and single shot rifles, no problem. 45 ACP in a 1911 is a bit louder (still fairly quiet, though) so I usually wear plugs with that one. I'm pretty careful with my hearing after being around others who weren't and suffered hearing loss.
4) What suppressor do you have? Do you use it for multiple calibers (multiple bullet diameters)?
I have a number. A couple 22 cans, a .30 cal can, a 9mm, a couple .45 cans. Even one integral in a .44 rifle. I do use most of them for multiple calibers.
5) What environment are you in when shooting with your suppressor? Indoor range? Outdoor range? Outdoors with no one else around you shooting? Hunting?
Outdoor range and in the woods. Not a Hunter, just recreational target shooting.
I don't own a suppressor but have often considered making the jump... but the "which suppressor to buy" question has always gotten in my way.
It would help a lot to know how effective a certain class of suppressor is as far as no longer needing hearing protection from those that own suppressors?
.22LR is where I'd start. From there, for me it's the progression I outlined above for those calibers and applications.
I have a hard time justifying the cost of a suppressor if I still need to use hearing protection when using the suppressor.
Understand this, and agree with you. When at the range, I try to go when I have the place to myself if I want to fire suppressed guns. Otherwise, I definitely wear ear pro.
I shoot several calibers / cartridges from 22lr on up to 30-06. 22lr subsonics with a suppressor seems like hearing protection would no longer be needed?
Yes, in my experience.
What about 22lr supersonics? What about 9mm subsonics? 300 AAC Black subsonics?
You could probably omit the ear pro with 22 super. All I shoot is subsonic with suppressors though. 9mm and 300BLK subsonic are comfortable for me to shoot outdoors. Haven't tried it indoors.
I would appreciate hearing the opinions and feed back from those that own their own suppressors.
I shared my experiences. Best feedback I can offer is try to go out shooting with someone who has them and see/hear for yourself.

Last Edited:
A dirty little secret is that the main driver of suppressor popularity is a thing called inflation. $200 nowadays is no big deal for the average guy, but back in 1934 that $200 was more like $5,000 in today's money.

The purpose of the 1934 NFA was to take things like suppressors away from the common man completely. Class 3 toys were only for the wealthy, a rich man's game.

If the MG registry hadn't been closed almost four decades ago, all y'all would have safes full of MGs. Or maybe not; the powers that be would probably have found another way to stop it.

There was a time in the past when I thought it would be really cool to have a machine gun. Over the years I've gone shooting a few times with acquaintances who were class 3 guys with legal MGs. It was really cool, but I got the feeling that the cool factor would wear off pretty quick, or I'd go broke buying ammo. Now that I'm older, I don't think I'd buy one even if I could afford it.

Oops, now I probably offended the machine gun guys, who'll call me dumb for not wanting an MG… :D
Full auto would be silly. You're right, it would burn ammo way too fast.

But a 3 round burst? That's giggle time when shooting and valid in a self defense situation.

What are some solid home defense brands with good support? I would like to keep the suppressor, mounts and stamp under $1,000. Looking at 30 cal cans with universal HUB option, and hearing safe with 300 blk subs.

What are some solid home defense brands with good support? I would like to keep the suppressor, mounts and stamp under $1,000. Looking at 30 cal cans with universal HUB option, and hearing safe with 300 blk subs.
SilencerCo Omega 300 comes to mind. Good size & weight & price and dB reduction make it hard to beat.

I have a reasonably decent stamp collection. Rifle cans to take the thunder out of muzzle blast, and rimfire cans for pleasant, quiet shooting are the most practical. Pistol cans are less practical or useful, unless you can shoot off your deck on your land.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews