JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I told him I was solidly in favor of easing restrictions on suppressors, because they're not used in crime, and they are useful for hearing protection and reducing noise pollution.
Ditto this entirely!

Purely as a project I would LOVE to make a suppressor for my one and only gun that is threaded for one (Ruger PCC) but I ain't gonna pay $200 (or whatever) for the right to make something I can turn out in my shop - so it ain't gonna happen.

I might still however make a 'flash suppressor' for it - mostly though as just a goofy lathe project if I ever run out of things to do!

It's the 300blk w/suppressor combo that has me intrigued. I'm not a hunter. I already have significant tinnitus and don't relish of losing more hearing, or that of my family, if I ever had to touch off some rounds indoors.

Given the wait times, how would one handle the purchase if they had to relocate within the year?
Curious & looked, I thought the ATF has a form for that. They don't. The form is for approved items.

Here's a quote from Silencer Shops write up though:

"...

In-State Pending Approval

If your application is pending (or approved but not yet picked up), have your dealer contact the ATF's NFA branch for instructions on updating your Form 4 application before the transfer is complete. Give us a call if you need assistance with this!..."

From https://www.silencershop.com/blog/post/moving-with-a-suppressor

I find it to be worth it to shoot suppressed. Yes the wait is long, yes its unnecessary for what is literally a safety device. But that being said it offers two bit advantages for civilian use (slightly different for the military).

It's very pleasant at the range to shoot suppressed. I tied out a few shot with my 556 can without earpro and I get no ringing in my ears at all. Should I need to light off a round in the home it will not (or will lessen the chance of hearing damage) result in permanent hearing damage if I'm unable to get hearing pro. A side not is also if I want to shoot at night it lets me do so and lessen the chances of drawing attention.

The second is a hunting application. Many do not want to mess with hearing protection in the field and a silencer/suppressor/can/gat muffler offers that benefit. Not disturbing other game and other hunters is big benifit.

Just in the few short month my two cans have cleared I have no desire to shoot unsuppressed (outside of pistols) its that pleasant of an experience.

Side note my main ffl says 114 will not affect silencers

Those of you who own suppressors do you still wear hearing protection when shooting with the suppressor on?

If the answer is "some times" at what level do you feel hearing protection is needed? For example:

1) All supersonic loads?
2) All supersonic loads above a certain cartridge / caliber? What is the cut off caliber / cartridge for you?
3) Subsonic loads above a certain cartridge / caliber? What is the cut off caliber / cartridge for you?
4) What suppressor do you have? Do you use it for multiple calibers (multiple bullet diameters)?
5) What environment are you in when shooting with your suppressor? Indoor range? Outdoor range? Outdoors with no one else around you shooting? Hunting?

I don't own a suppressor but have often considered making the jump... but the "which suppressor to buy" question has always gotten in my way.
It would help a lot to know how effective a certain class of suppressor is as far as no longer needing hearing protection from those that own suppressors?

I have a hard time justifying the cost of a suppressor if I still need to use hearing protection when using the suppressor. I shoot several calibers / cartridges from 22lr on up to 30-06. 22lr subsonics with a suppressor seems like hearing protection would no longer be needed? What about 22lr supersonics? What about 9mm subsonics? 300 AAC Black subsonics?

I would appreciate hearing the opinions and feed back from those that own their own suppressors.

Yes. Just do it and don't look back, you'll be surprised at how much more enjoyable they can make a range day.

1C919C66-12BC-405D-88A3-4965DEFBABEA.jpeg

Those of you who own suppressors do you still wear hearing protection when shooting with the suppressor on?

If the answer is "some times" at what level do you feel hearing protection is needed? For example:

1) All supersonic loads?
2) All supersonic loads above a certain cartridge / caliber? What is the cut off caliber / cartridge for you?
3) Subsonic loads above a certain cartridge / caliber? What is the cut off caliber / cartridge for you?
4) What suppressor do you have? Do you use it for multiple calibers (multiple bullet diameters)?
5) What environment are you in when shooting with your suppressor? Indoor range? Outdoor range? Outdoors with no one else around you shooting? Hunting?

I don't own a suppressor but have often considered making the jump... but the "which suppressor to buy" question has always gotten in my way.
It would help a lot to know how effective a certain class of suppressor is as far as no longer needing hearing protection from those that own suppressors?

I have a hard time justifying the cost of a suppressor if I still need to use hearing protection when using the suppressor. I shoot several calibers / cartridges from 22lr on up to 30-06. 22lr subsonics with a suppressor seems like hearing protection would no longer be needed? What about 22lr supersonics? What about 9mm subsonics? 300 AAC Black subsonics?

I would appreciate hearing the opinions and feed back from those that own their own suppressors.
To put it bluntly, I do when I'm at the range and others are also, because more than likely they aren't shooting suppressed. However, if I'm alone or with other suppressed shooters, the ears come off. Except with gas guns. I always wear them when shooting those because the port pop is still unpleasant and leaves my ears "tired" instead of ringing which is still a big plus.

You have to decide what compromise you're willing to make before you buy. Every suppressor has a trade off, be it for weight, durability, suppression level etc. If you get a can that does "everything" it won't be particularly good at anything.

1) All supersonic loads?

As I shoot primarily at an indoor range, I always wear hearing protection. However, I have a can on my home defense weapon, a .300 Blackout SBR with subsonic loads. This way I don't t need to worry about dear Wife's or my own hearing if I need to shoot indoors. At competitions I use an AR with a 10" barrel and a Yankees Hill Resonator can and they need to have the shot timer right beside me to be able to pick up the sound of my shots, so it is indeed quiet. I have a Sig Rattler with a 5 " barrel and with a Dead Air Nomad is about as loud as a cough.
OTOH a5" can on an AR pistol in 5.56 with a 5" barrel was just about worthless. Supersonic ammo and a short barrel are too much for any suppressor to deal with. On .22s a silencer is a hoot especially with subsonic ammo.. Silencers are not cheap and the $200 tax stamp and the year+ wait don't make it appealing to a lot of folks but I enjoy shooting with them and with subsonic ammo they are very quiet indeed.
YMMV, but I enjoy having them in my collection.

1) All supersonic loads?

Just go peruse www.pewscience.com to find actual facts about the effectiveness of certain suppressors.

Yup. It affects the 4473. I only need ATF approval to get a can.
Correct. Oregon doesn't regard suppressors as firearms, so no separate approval is needed. Although it's my understanding other States do regard suppressors as firearms, so it's not inconceivable Oregon could follow suit at some point. Oregon doesn't like gun nuts and takes every opportunity to let us know. I'm sure the will eventually find a way encumber the purchase of Hoppes #9.

I don't have a suppressor, but I have thought about getting one for my Remington 700. I shoot this rifle prone only, so the added weight and length don't matter so much. I don't know why you would add a suppressor to a Mk.18 clone unless you were working with other guys in a team. I'd rather just double up on hearing protection. But that's just me.

The main reason I don't have a suppressor is I don't want to lay out a thousand dollars and have to wait, and then hassle with the paperwork as well. Plus don't suppressors wear out after a while? If I could order a suppressor today and walk out with it next week I would probably own several. As it currently stands the juice is not worth the squeeze to me.

Last Edited:
Yup. It affects the 4473. I only need ATF approval to get a can.
Consider yourself lucky, my local shop thinks that they still need to run an Oregon BGC. They may have changed their ways after I pointed it out, but when I got my last suppressor last year, they made me do a check. They also won't do a three day release on a suppressor either.

The main reason I don't have a suppressor is I don't want to lay out a thousand dollars and have to wait, and then hassle with the paperwork as well. Plus don't suppressors wear out after a while?
The wait definitely sucks, but it is in theory getting shorter and shorter. We definitely aren't at the 90 days the ATF says they are running at though.

Sure, they wear but expected life of even a 3D printed suppressor is 20k + rounds. Huxwrx has stated that they can rebuild their cans should anything ever be damaged or worn out. This is why they placed the serial number where they did, so that new paperwork is not necessary in the case of a rebuild.
my local shop thinks that they still need to run an Oregon BGC
Well, they are wrong. It's common practice to fill out a 4473 upon pickup of the suppressor after getting ATF approval, but it's not supposed to be submitted. The ATF already gave the go ahead.

Personally for me I absolutely think they're worth it. That being said I think we can all agree that I wish they were OTC items. I don't see any reason that you need to go through an extensive BC for one. But I know they won't ever be simply because the amount of money they bring in.

But I'm to a point that I almost don't like shooting without a can, and slowly working on getting a dedicated can for each rifle I own.

To me the only problem with them is cost. $600 for a tube? Seems like should cost around $100 mac. Then $200 for the stamp. At least one suppressor can by used for many guns. That helps.

The second is a hunting application. Many do not want to mess with hearing protection in the field and a silencer/suppressor/can/gat muffler offers that benefit. Not disturbing other game and other hunters is big benifit.
While having read similar to this with regard to suppressors while hunting I don't see this as a valid need for one.

For one, when hunting, there are relatively few shots taken, often only being one. Also hunters tend to be far and few between and what shots are heard by them are often off in the distance and muted anyway due to 'natural' surroundings of trees, hills, etc.

Also, while some may use hearing protection while hunting, I have never nor have I ever seen anyone else using it while hunting. Typically when hunting, and presented with a shot at an animal, you are usually so excited your senses are heightened to the point you don't really 'hear' the shot you took. Also I can hardly imagine hunting with hearing protection as it would dramatically inhibit my ability to hear what is going on around me - such as movement of game.

Another thing is 'game' is minimally disturbed (if at all) by shooting. I have watched deer & elk from a distance, heard shots and seen them look up, maybe move off a few step and go back to grazing.

Also a lot of hunters use firearms that are not adaptable for suppressors, or ones they would never put a suppressor on for obvious reasons. Traditional BP hunters (as I am) are one example of this.

Like I previously mentioned as a long time hunter and shooter I never heard of suppressor use for hunting until relatively recently as in the last several years. I see it as just another answer to a problem that doesn't really exist, and just applying a 'tactical' application where it isn't really needed.

I often wonder when I might read about someone wearing a 'plate carrier' when hunting.

Last Edited:
While having read similar to this with regard to suppressors while hunting I don't see this as a valid need for one.

For one, when hunting, there are relatively few shots taken, often only being one. Also hunters tend to be far and few between and what shots are heard by them are often off in the distance and muted anyway due to 'natural' surroundings of trees, hills, etc.

Also, while some may use hearing protection while hunting, I have never nor have I ever seen anyone else using it while hunting. Typically when hunting, and presented with a shot at an animal, you are usually so excited your senses are heightened to the point you don't really 'hear' the shot you took. Also I can hardly imagine hunting with hearing protection as it would dramatically inhibit my ability to hear what is going on around me - such as movement of game.

Another thing is 'game' is minimally disturbed (if at all) by shooting. I have watched deer & elk from a distance, heard shots and seen them look up, maybe move off a few step and go back to grazing.

Also a lot of hunters use firearms that are not adaptable for suppressors, or ones they would never put a suppressor on for obvious reasons. Traditional BP hunters (as I am) are one example of this.

Like I previously mentioned as a long time hunter and shooter I never heard of suppressor use for hunting until relatively recently as in the last several years. I see it as just another answer to a problem that doesn't really exist, and just applying a 'tactical' application where it isn't really needed.

I often wonder when I might read about someone wearing a 'plate carrier' when hunting.
Tell that to the guys who are hunting long distance. Or hunting in a multiple group setting where they take multiple animals from one location. Suppressors are beneficial.

Just cause it's not your thing and doesn't t make sense to you doesn't mean it won't fit the application of a different Hunter.

Last Edited:
Tell that to the guys who are hunting long distance. Or hunting in a multiple group setting where they take multiple animals from one location. Suppressors are beneficial.

Just cause it's not your thing and does t make sense to you doesn't mean it won't fit the application of a different Hunter.
I own a few, and they're not Hollywood quiet. A rifle round is still loud as all get out. I'm not sure that would be valid justification. We own them because 'Merica! :s0023:

I own a few, and they're not Hollywood quiet. A rifle round is still loud as all get out. I'm not sure that would be valid justification. We own them because 'Merica! :s0023:
I'm talking guys who are reaching way out. Not 500 meters. Lol.

I should also say I'm not the one doing this. But the amount of guys I have listened to on podcasts/etc. where this is their life talk very highly of shooting/hunting with suppressors.

It's all opinion.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top