JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yup!! And 2 decades later people are still asking and swearing the .40S&W is dead. "Kids know best"... I guess... :D
I picked up an FNS-40 LS a couple weeks ago. I'm not worried at all about the cartridge going away. I suppose .40SW wouldn't be my first choice but it was a good deal and the long slide will keep the snap down. Honestly it was nice to add something different to the collection.

This thread reminds me of the 90s lol
beating-dead.gif

It's really all about effective shot placement, not about what's the current trendy caliber. (Anyone remember the stopping failure of the 9mm during the 1986 FBI Miami shootout?) An effective hit from a .22 short is tremendously better than a miss from a Barrett 50 cal. Choose the best defensive firearm for you, (regardless of caliber) keep it clean and train with it.

God bless America! 🇺🇸

Fake news. The pathetic .40 can't even penetrate a tin can. 15 rounds of "short and weak" -

1694826796163.png

The mighty 10MM is a different story. Just one round -

1694826884454.png

Amazing what just an extra 150fps can do!

I had one of those, for a while. I have a G19 already and the G23 came along at a very attractive price, so I thought, "Why not?" It was okay, and although I am fairly proficient with the 9mm G19, the G23 had a bit more snap to it than I liked so I found a new home for it.

Another .40 S&W handgun that I owned was a Springfield Armory Linkless 1911. It was a very nice shooting gun, and as a 1911, it had plenty of heft to make for comfortable shooting. I didn't realize it at the time, but these were very rare guns, the Linkless. They were made in 10mm Auto as well, but the .40's were fewer. I believe the upper parts were made in Germany. I've read online that there was some kind of patent dispute involved with the design and that was the reason Springfield Armory discontinued them. I don't know the truth of that, though.

Colt made 1911's in .40 S&W at one time. About 15 years ago, I saw a stainless 1911 Colt offered at one of the WAC gun shows. The seller wanted $500 and at the time, I thought it was too much money. But I think Colts in this cartridge are not common.
I have a early model 1911 Kimber in 40 S&W 4" Bull Barrel that's a shooter. I also picked up a 357 SIG barrel for it, snappy stuff but it has its uses. Also have a 1911 type Para P-16 in 40 SW, that I picked up a Clark 10mm barrel for. I like multi-caliber handguns. I have a G20 with both 10 and 40 barrels. 10mm factory ammo is spendy, 40 less so.

M&P is another if you have a 40 S&W you can swap out for 9mm barrels no problem, I've read if you have a factory 9 you can not swap a 40 barrel in.

Thinking back some. I don't know many people who reload 40s. I believe most of my 40 brass came from friends that shoot 40 but don't reload 40.

I really like my Sig 239 in 40 cal, carry it a lot.
Interesting comment. My first (I now have two) .40 S&W pistol was a result of ammo shortages and lack of availability of 9mm. Eventually, I acquired dies for 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP and .380 ACP, because components were more readily available than ammo. I had a good stock of ammo on hand and eventually the ammo shortage ended. Looking back, the only one of those newly acquired sets of dies that I have used is the .40 S&W. The other stuff I was able to replenish my factory ammo supplies and still have a drawer full of bullets for future use. Sitting here now, I'm not completely sure why that is. :s0092: Historically, I've reloaded a lot of rifle cartridges and a ton of revolver cartridges, but the only semi-auto so far is the .40 S&W. Other than getting my hands on a few pieces of AMERC brass, my reloading efforts with that cartridge have been 100% satisfactory.

(If the above paragraph confuses you, you're not alone. :D)

I think I mentioned this before, but I have about twice as much .40 ammo as I have 9x19 ammo.

I think at least half of that ammo came either from NWFA members selling off their .40 ammo to switch to 9mm, or online PD trade in lots. The rest was good priced deals where retailers were dumping their stock because they couldn't sell it to LEOs - I assume.

This was during the ammo panic and 9x19 was expensive and not that easy to come by. Now that it is relatively affordable, I don't have a lot of extra $ to spend on it - but I do have enough.