JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I have a choice between 16 rounds of the snappiest 9mm there is vs 14 rounds of the snappiest 40 there is and I know the possibility is that at most I'll get 2-3 rounds off in a. self defense situation, I'll take the 40. Some of that Underwood stuff is well into potent 10mm range. There is some communal hive mentality that has no basis in fact.

My .40 is a lot easier to make Major in tournaments, something I can't do with any 9mm without many modifications, and then I end up with some funny looking brass. In the shooting sports the .40 will continue to be a staple...I think.

Look into a Glock 40 cal? I have the 19 and 45 Glocks. I wonder if there is a 10 round 40 Glock; evading instrumental nuttiness with 114 should it go into temporary effect?

10 MM revolvers can or can not work with a 40 cal?
Shooting my .40 Glock long slide with a Trijicon on top. Unbelievable
grouping and my steel finally yelled uncle. I love the way it "hits", But I admit, I only carry 9mm. ...:)

Interesting comment. My first (I now have two) .40 S&W pistol was a result of ammo shortages and lack of availability of 9mm. Eventually, I acquired dies for 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP and .380 ACP, because components were more readily available than ammo. I had a good stock of ammo on hand and eventually the ammo shortage ended. Looking back, the only one of those newly acquired sets of dies that I have used is the .40 S&W. The other stuff I was able to replenish my factory ammo supplies and still have a drawer full of bullets for future use. Sitting here now, I'm not completely sure why that is. :s0092: Historically, I've reloaded a lot of rifle cartridges and a ton of revolver cartridges, but the only semi-auto so far is the .40 S&W. Other than getting my hands on a few pieces of AMERC brass, my reloading efforts with that cartridge have been 100% satisfactory.

(If the above paragraph confuses you, you're not alone. :D)
I think it's that guy's my age grew up with 45acp and 9mm so my friends my age don't load for 40. They all have 40s but don't shoot them much.

I think it's that guy's my age grew up with 45acp and 9mm so my friends my age don't load for 40. They all have 40s but don't shoot them much.
I grew up with 9mm and .45 acp as well. I was in my 50's when I picked up my first nine (and first Glock). Later I traded into a .40 S&W Shield - my favorite carry gun when my son isn't packing it. He has developed a fondness for packing it while bowhunting.

It's going away, slowly but surely. A lot of gun stores don't even want to look at your trade if it's in .40 and many people in the classifieds turn their noses up at it. Doesn't help that's it's an expensive and snappy round when comparing to 9. I doubt the .40 will even have new guns chambered for it within the next decade but hey, at least it isn't .30 super carry!
Russian disinformation! Gaslighting!

Taurus is now offering the G3C in 40 (I have two G2C's in forty) I pocket carry mine, and I don't have a problem with snappy. My Ruger LC9s is Snappy with a capital S, and it is a nine. Forties shoot flatter for me and I seem more accurate compared to nine

I also like 357 Sig and 10 MM, but 40 is my choice.

Russian disinformation! Gaslighting!

Taurus is now offering the G3C in 40 (I have two G2C's in forty) I pocket carry mine, and I don't have a problem with snappy. My Ruger LC9s is Snappy with a capital S, and it is a nine. Forties shoot flatter for me and I seem more accurate compared to nine

I also like 357 Sig and 10 MM, but 40 is my choice.
Right on, dude. Glad you're happy with your choices :s0155:

I wondered if the .40 S&W was destined for something like the .38 Special. There's a gazillion guns made in the caliber, both are capable for their intended rôle, and ammunition supply is available and will be for some time. However, overall interest, and corresponding level of discourse surrounding said, is usually pretty minimal. Which, if so, would be ironic, considering how the Forty was much touted as the be all, end all to the handgun cartridge question, and never, ever shall we hear of this 9㎜ vs .45 ACP talkage again!

Anyway, at the present, we have exactly zero .40-caliber handguns in the inventory and I gave away all my ammo to a close family member who owns at least a couple .40 S&W pistols. It is still not a bad cartridge. Cheers.

I wondered if the .40 S&W was destined for something like the .38 Special. There's a gazillion guns made in the caliber, both are capable for their intended rôle, and ammunition supply is available and will be for some time. However, overall interest, and corresponding level of discourse surrounding said, is usually pretty minimal. Which, if so, would be ironic, considering how the Forty was much touted as the be all, end all to the handgun cartridge question, and never, ever shall we hear of this 9㎜ vs .45 ACP talkage again!

Anyway, at the present, we have exactly zero .40-caliber handguns in the inventory and I gave away all my ammo to a close family member who owns at least a couple .40 S&W pistols. It is still not a bad cartridge. Cheers.
It's the Nickelback effect. They like their Seether, Breaking Benjamin, Puddle of Mudd, and Five Finger Death Punch, but their friends make fun of them for listening to Nickelback because someone's older brother said the music sucks. Then it spread like wildfire to the point everyone had heard someone trash talking it. Less and less folks want to say they like it out of fear of being shunned by the community. They then start trash talking themselves because it makes them feel included and welcomed into the community. It becomes an invalidated standard, and those that speak against it become the black sheep.
Them's facts

@Richo877 Interesting analysis. That could certainly be and would explain the (metaphorical) trajectory nicely. I would imagine the Bureau going back to the 9㎜ Parabellum might have had some effect as well, but who knows. (And I am embarrassed to admit I didn't know a single one of those music groups referenced. But I still got your meaning. :))

It's the Nickelback effect. They like their Seether, Breaking Benjamin, Puddle of Mudd, and Five Finger Death Punch, but their friends make fun of them for listening to Nickelback because someone's older brother said the music sucks. Then it spread like wildfire to the point everyone had heard someone trash talking it. Less and less folks want to say they like it out of fear of being shunned by the community. They then start trash talking themselves because it makes them feel included and welcomed into the community. It becomes an invalidated standard, and those that speak against it become the black sheep.
Them's facts
Great, now I have Nickelback stuck in my head. Gonna have to stream some Creed to get it out.

@Richo877 Interesting analysis. That could certainly be and would explain the (metaphorical) trajectory nicely. I would imagine the Bureau going back to the 9㎜ Parabellum might have had some effect as well, but who knows. (And I am embarrassed to admit I didn't know a single one of those music groups referenced. But I still got your meaning. :))
9mm being re-adopted by the FBI is definitely part of it. I'm still a firm believer that the .40 is just as manageable as the 9mm with just as much proficiency, if not more. It packs the stopping power of a .45 in a 9mm sized frame. I like it. The 9mm Hellcat though... gotta say I like that one too.

I have 500 rounds of .45 GAP, which means I have 12x as much of it as 6.5 Grendel. I haven't had access to a .45 GAP since ~2009. The Grendel is my lightweight deer gun.

Life is stupid.

Y THO blk border.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA