JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
9mm being re-adopted by the FBI is definitely part of it. I'm still a firm believer that the .40 is just as manageable as the 9mm with just as much proficiency, if not more. It packs the stopping power of a .45 in a 9mm sized frame. I like it. The 9mm Hellcat though... gotta say I like that one too.
I've always heard that it was a natural outgrowth of bullet evolution and extensive studies of actual shootings, showing that in the real world, 9mm was most often statistically good enough.

I bought a S&W Shield a few years ago, at the same time that an acquaintance bought one in .40 S&W, so we shot them side by side. The .40 had noticeably more recoil. It didn't bother me, but my wife would shoot the 9mm but no more than a few through the .40. It was just a bit much for her. I still like my old Glock 22 though.

I've always heard that it was a natural outgrowth of bullet evolution and extensive studies of actual shootings, showing that in the real world, 9mm was most often statistically good enough.

I bought a S&W Shield a few years ago, at the same time that an acquaintance bought one in .40 S&W, so we shot them side by side. The .40 had noticeably more recoil. It didn't bother me, but my wife would shoot the 9mm but no more than a few through the .40. It was just a bit much for her. I still like my old Glock 22 though.
Ive learned HERE lately that a lot of other people are extremely sensitive to recoil and need soft shooting guns to hit targets. Im sure the FBI shooters are a bunch of folks like that.

Last Edited:
Coconut Oil FBI Agents.jpg

Last Edited:

9mm is also more affordable, so it's more practical for mass armament, but .40 is usually still fairly accessible when there are shortages of more commonly sought after calibers. Definitely less folks fighting over it. In a self defense situation I'd probably prefer a .40 round. In the event of combat, I'd probably prefer the 9mm. I don't see myself making any kind of move into a combat scenario, so my preferences are biased to defensive situations, in which case I'd want to be sure my round made an appropriate impact. If my goal was "shoot to wound" 9mm would suffice.

My goal is to blow a hole in one side and out the other so it bleeds out of both holes so I lean more towards the 10mm.
Wait, I think I got someone's mom's vagisil on my hands last night... I guess I'm selling the .40's.
That stuff is 20% benzocaine with no other active ingredients. Its actually a great anti itch topical. On top of being an incorrigible gun nut I'm am amateur pharmacologist and make a lot of my own medicines. And beer, and cars, and boats, and food. In any case it just numbs the hell out of your lips . num num num.

I have never been able to get opium poppies to grow worth a damn or I'd be unstoppable.

Last Edited:
Ive learned HERE lately that a lot of other people are extremely sensitive to recoil and need soft shooting guns to hit targets. Im sure the FBI shooters are a bunch of folks like that.
Actually yes, my wife is sensitive to recoil. I guess she's not "man enough" for anything bigger than a "sissy gun". I'd say that many if not most people who don't shoot a lot are like that.

I'm a big manly man, myself, so I don't shoot anything less than .44 Magnum. No girly little 10mm for me.

Actually yes, my wife is sensitive to recoil. I guess she's not "man enough" for anything bigger than a "sissy gun". I'd say that many if not most people who don't shoot a lot are like that.

I'm a big manly man, myself, so I don't shoot anything less than .44 Magnum. No girly little 10mm for me.
It's important to remember that because some people are recoil challenged that everyone is subject to the same limitations. I learned that here too.

It's important to remember that because some people are recoil challenged that everyone is subject to the same limitations. I learned that here too.
When it comes to large agencies, that does seem to be the case.

When it comes to individuals, shoot whatever you like. Personally I like both the 9mm and the .40, and .45 acp, and .357 magnum, and .44, etc.. my wife doesn't like anything bigger than 9mm.

It seems you may have learned some things here that aren't entirely true. :)

.44 magnum, weak. If it's anything less than a .500 magnum it's too weak for me.

I not only want to stop my intended target but also the 5 people standing blocks behind them. 🤣

I've always kind of wanted a .500 Magnum. I see it as a novelty gun with nearly no practical use, but I'd still like to have one, just because. Maybe it's a primal macho thing, I don't know. I know full well that I have absolutely no need for one, and I'll never actually buy one, but still... :)

I've always kind of wanted a .500 Magnum. I see it as a novelty gun with nearly no practical use, but I'd still like to have one, just because. Maybe it's a primal macho thing, I don't know. I know full well that I have absolutely no need for one, and I'll never actually buy one, but still... :)
I've no desire for a .500. I've shot 454's, 460's and even owned a 480 Ruger. I'm convinced there is nothing in my world that my 44 Mag isn't enough gun for.

I'm convinced there is nothing in my world that my 44 Mag isn't enough gun for.
I completely agree with you. The .44 Magnum is a favorite and I have several of them, no rational need for anything bigger. Still though, occasionally I feel this irrational need for one. Barring a sudden windfall or a helluva deal on one, I'll never own one, but I still like them.

Maybe it has something to do with helping a friend load a bunch of ammo for his several years ago, and the fact that I still have a half a box of that ammo sitting on my shelf staring at me every day, and nothing to shoot them in...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews