JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Still waiting for the day open-carry extremists belittle and demean concealed carriers like we see them do so many times on forums like these.

To me, carry is carry. I don't really care either way. I carry however I want, when I want, based on decisions I make. I am just happy I can do that here like I used to do in WA.

I just find it odd and annoying that people that will only concealed carry make such a big deal about it. What are they trying to prove and to whom?

I open carry in the field - hunting, fishing or on the range. I conceal carry when around others, I dont really wan the attention that open carry gets in town. I am all for open carry and aprrecaiate those that do so that I am not the one everyone is watching.

See, was that smug judgment really necessary? You were doing so well!
Open carry draws attention - though it is legal many are not accustomed to seeing a firearm strapped to one's side in a grocery store or a doctors office, especially in more populated areas. I can carry a concealed piece almost anywhere and no one is the smarter for it. It is the way it is.

Open carry draws attention - though it is legal many are not accustomed to seeing a firearm strapped to one's side in a grocery store or a doctors office, especially in more populated areas. I can carry a concealed piece almost anywhere and no one is the smarter for it. It is the way it is.
People only get the vapors over open carry because the TV tells them to. It's not normal to react in fear or anger like a very, very small percentage do. If you hide your gun because of what other people might think or say, the anti-gun people win. It's OK if you want to live your life that way, but it's not OK to belittle those who don't.

People only get the vapors over open carry because the TV tells them to. It's not normal to react in fear or anger like a very, very small percentage do. If you hide your gun because of what other people might think or say, the anti-gun people win. It's OK if you want to live your life that way, but it's not OK to belittle those who don't.
I dont need a hassle when I go in and get a gallon of milk or a loaf bread. I am perfectly happy minding my own business. I do not wish to attract attention and dont want to push my personal beliefs on others, others can. How much good does it do push people who are on the line about firearms by making them feel even more threatened. I could argue those that open carry are making many others feel uncomfortable and may even be doing harm to our cause. I guess its a personal decison -- I have made my decision..

I dont need a hassle when I go in and get a gallon of milk or a loaf bread. I am perfectly happy minding my own business. I do not wish to attract attention and dont want to push my personal beliefs on others, others can. How much good does it do push people who are on the line about firearms by making them feel even more threatened. I could argue those that open carry are making many others feel uncomfortable and may even be doing harm to our cause. I guess its a personal decison -- I have made my decision..
You gotta do you.

I could argue those that open carry are making many others feel uncomfortable and may even be doing harm to our cause.
You could, and many do, but it is really a subjective stance with no hard evidence or studies to back it up. This is usually countered with, "if more people did it and the fearful see nothing bad happens, they would be less fearful", but that is just as subjective. Logically, they are both likely true statements, but still no real facts at this time behind either.

Appreciate you following along. I'm not really picking on you individually, but your points and verbiage are very commonly brought up by others so I am using them as examples.

I know if I go walking downtown portland with a pistol openly carried I will get a lot of unwanted attention if I do the same thing with my pistol under my shirt no one will be the wiser. I openly carry in eastern oregon. To me the decision is based on where I am at. If more people did it - it might be more acccepted, maybe but in todays world where there are a lot of shootings every day people are on edge alredy I dont need to create more tension. The first thing I do when I see someone open carrying is I size them up as to how they handle themselves and what kind of risk they pose. I am not scared of them but I am aware of them. Simply having a firearm neither makes them a good guy or a bad guy they are an unknown quantity, I do the samething when I drive a car or cross the road. You assess the possibilities.

I open carry in the field - hunting, fishing or on the range. I conceal carry when around others, I dont really wan the attention that open carry gets in town. I am all for open carry and aprrecaiate those that do so that I am not the one everyone is watching.
But what if the person that's open carrying is working in conjunction with someone who is concealed carrying who is looking for the person that is watching the open carrier?
giphy.webp

Open carry. Conceal carry. Who cares.

I like the people that open carry. They get all the attention and I get none. The more the merrier.

I used to open carry in AZ quite frequently. Nobody noticed.

People can't keep their faces out of their stupidphones for 5 minutes these days. I can't tell you how many of these zombies run right into me. If they can't notice an entire human in their path, I doubt a 6"x6" object on that humans hip draws a lick of attention.

I used to open carry in AZ quite frequently. Nobody noticed.

People can't keep their faces out of their stupidphones for 5 minutes these days. I can't tell you how many of these zombies run right into me. If they can't notice an entire human in their path, I doubt a 6"x6" object on that humans hip draws a lick of attention.
Worst I've gotten is dirty looks that I can only guess were related to the gun, and they are few and far between. Like most things in life, it's not as bad as you imagine.

Problem? If your theory were true, there would be daily stories of open carriers being shot. There aren't. I've seen three such stories in the last decade. You seem to be seeing a problem where there is none. And your open hatred for those who open carry is getting tiresome.
It isn't hatred. I thought by listing the advantages and disadvantages as I see them that you could see why I make the choice I do to concealed carry, and why I don't understand the choice to open carry.

Do you open carry because you can, and you don't want to get a permit to concealed carry?

It isn't hatred. I thought by listing the advantages and disadvantages as I see them that you could see why I make the choice I do to concealed carry, and why I don't understand the choice to open carry.

Do you open carry because you can, and you don't want to get a permit to concealed carry?
I have a carry license. I open carry for several reasons. The first is that concealed carry is always a compromise. To conceal it fully, I need a compact pistol in the winter and a sub-compact in the summer. A full-size gun carries more ammo, I shoot it better and a gun rides much more comfortably outside the waistband than inside. As mentioned earlier, I'm counteracting the constant messaging from the politicians and entertainers that guns are icky and scary. Also because rights atrophy when we don't use them. And yes, sometimes just because I can.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top