JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It isn't hatred. I thought by listing the advantages and disadvantages as I see them that you could see why I make the choice I do to concealed carry, and why I don't understand the choice to open carry.

Do you open carry because you can, and you don't want to get a permit to concealed carry?
You have stated your position quite clearly, which is great and welcomed here. But then you seemingly demand justification from others as to why they don't agree and practice what you believe in. Frankly, I find that to be off-putting, to put it mildly. Perhaps accepting that there are others here that don't agree with your beliefs, and moving on, would be a better tact.

That used to be so in OR and WA, but information and even a few lawsuits have caused most metro PDs to issue bulletins on handling open carry reports. 911 operators are asking questions now on open carry calls to determine whether it's an issue or just an ordinary person. If you want to know more about actual open carry, check out some OC forums. If you haven't done it, it's easy to fall for the rhetoric. The worst most of us ever experience is some dirty looks. I once got to hear someone on their phone saying "But he's wearing a gun! You can't do anything about that?" but that's the extent of it.
YEP!
I can't speak for the entire state but, Pierce Co? If someone calls 911 because they see someone carrying a gun no LEO's bother. Sometimes the dispatch will announce the call. Not send anyone. If some supervisor bothers to answer they will ask if there is something other than just the person has a gun? When told no the supervisor will not send anyone. Now some business's will send someone to ask you to leave. If you refuse then LEO's would eventually show up to tell you the business can tell you they do not want you there.

I used to open carry in AZ quite frequently. Nobody noticed.

People can't keep their faces out of their stupidphones for 5 minutes these days. I can't tell you how many of these zombies run right into me. If they can't notice an entire human in their path, I doubt a 6"x6" object on that humans hip draws a lick of attention.
THIS!!
When I lived in AZ we had no CC law and we could open BUT, it VERY often got attention. Now days? So many walk through life with no clue what is going on around them they seldom see anything. In warm weather I often carry here without the gun covered on the property. Few of the people I encounter ever even notice the gun. Unless someone is wearing a carry rig that really stands out? Most never even see it.

Printing.jpg

I support the OP, someone leaving a loaded firearm in a public restroom, let law enforcement deal with it...
As for those who state they would have a "constructive" conversation with the absent-minded handgun owner. Like someone who did that cares about the comments of a random stranger?

I have a carry license. I open carry for several reasons. The first is that concealed carry is always a compromise. To conceal it fully, I need a compact pistol in the winter and a sub-compact in the summer. A full-size gun carries more ammo, I shoot it better and a gun rides much more comfortably outside the waistband than inside. As mentioned earlier, I'm counteracting the constant messaging from the politicians and entertainers that guns are icky and scary. Also because rights atrophy when we don't use them. And yes, sometimes just because I can.
I conceal carry a full-size gun summer through winter…… no compromise here.

I hear you in the comfort piece though. OWB is definitely more comfortable even though I go AIWB.

Once we go down the path of government mandated training, people get the impression that the state has set out the requirements, and they have no further personal moral obligation.
Good point.

Every time a well-intentioned gun owner (and I've had this conversation more times than I can count) says they don't have a problem with a requirement that CC or gun owners, in general, are required to have training, I simply ask them if they are okay with Nancy Pelosi, Kate Brown, Tina Kotek, Gavin Newsom or (fill in the blank with an anti 2A government person) creating the rules for the class and licensing. Every single time they smile and say, "Good point."

Mike drop.

Good point.

Every time a well-intentioned gun owner (and I've had this conversation more times than I can count) says they don't have a problem with a requirement that CC or gun owners, in general, are required to have training, I simply ask them if they are okay with Nancy Pelosi, Kate Brown, Tina Kotek, Gavin Newsom or (fill in the blank with an anti 2A government person) creating the rules for the class and licensing. Every single time they smile and say, "Good point."

Mike drop.
Anti gun politicians (who know nothing about guns or carrying them) making regulations and training necessities to do so…. What could go wrong? Lol.

With that being said if you are serious about carrying a gun and take the responsibility for what it's worth you will feel obligated to train. Not because you're forced to. But because you know you need to.

Good point.

Mike drop.
Anti gun politicians (who know nothing about guns or carrying them) making regulations and training necessities to do so…. What could go wrong? Lol.

With that being said if you are serious about carrying a gun and take the responsibility for what it's worth you will feel obligated to train. Not because you're forced to. But because you know you need to.

Most laws are not written by "lawmakers" or subject matter experts. Usually it's lobbyists or special interest groups. This is one of the primary reasons most of them don't accomplish their stated goals.

I support the OP, someone leaving a loaded firearm in a public restroom, let law enforcement deal with it...
As for those who state they would have a "constructive" conversation with the absent-minded handgun owner. Like someone who did that cares about the comments of a random stranger?
But what did calling the cops do in this situation? Absolutely nothing. Just wasted everybody's time and obviously the cop couldn't have cared less.

Op could have made the same impression, or I my opinion, an even stronger impression on the young lady with public shaming. Since the cop just handed her gun back with no repercussions the offender is likely to consider this "no big deal."

Wellllllp…… macho man's gun would of been in the safe too if he left it in the bathroom! Requests for said firearm would fall on deaf ears, but the sound of rocks being kicked would amplify…
I don't care who's time someone thinks I'm wasting either, it's a big deal and it's my time!😎

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top