JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just received an email asking me to participate in a survey being conducted by a PSU student.The fact sheet he asked to fill out is titled:
"Evaluating Hunting Bullet Terminal Performance in Real World Conditions Data Recording Form:
Bear"

The description is:
"Our team would like to invite you to participate in a survey that records the outcome of your big game harvest (e.g., a successful hunt. Gathering information on species, cartridge, range, and animal behavior is important to understand best practices for effectively and humanely harvesting wildlife. Currently, there is no consensus on "best practices" and increased knowledge will benefit both hunters and managers."

What is your opinion?

I'd have to take a look at the study first and find out what their objectives actually are. Going off a title and description isn't enough to determine my participation and what data I'm willing to provide.

While my initial response is eff no, I also know there are very good studies that actually do help in game management.

My money is on ultimately wanting everyone to go to lead free projectiles. I love some of the monolithics for big game and have had excellent performance but I also prefer to have the choice and want others to have that choice. My answers to such a study could be spun biggly in support of lead free boolits.

Need more info but would probably pass. Or just lie on the survey haha o_O

I have seen similar crap from OSU. I wouldn't trust anything from PSU. Just like measures they gather signatures for, the real intent is likely very different than they project.

I was invited to participate as well. Just said "no". The "best practices" language kinda bothered me. I don't personally crave more rules and regulations on my hunting practices. Especially as far as bears are concerned. Yesterday we checked five game cameras and had bears on two of them. There are a lot of bears running around out there in Oregon.

Can you elaborate on why you might have received it? Did you buy a bear tag? Did you receive the actual form, or only the invitation? If you received the actual form, would you post a copy? That would make it easier to answer your question.

My gut reaction is this: Any time the state asks for information, decline to respond.

I have reservations about the validity of this survey. Equating a successful hunt with best practice seems a bit sketchy to me, unless also compared to data from unsuccessful hunts. How does success equate to humane harvest unless there is a basis for comparison? I am not a wildlife manager, but as a former medical researcher I see problems with the survey design as they have described it to you.

In addition, I don't see how any of the information gained from such a survey would relate to game management - only hunter management. As far as game management goes, they only need to know how many there are, how much reproduction there is, what the natural death rate is, and how many were killed.

Without further information I would toss the invitation in the trash.

If you're talking about Portland State, they are considered the most liberal college in America. I doubt that any study they did would promote hunting/gun rights. Penn State would be a different story. It would be interesting to see the email.

I'm with others. PSU is mega liberal and can't imagine anything good coming from any study related to hunting practices would come out of it. Even if the students intentions are good... info like that has a way of getting twisted against us.

The only hunting related studies I've ever participated in where done by DFW. IE., ovary, kidney, etc collections. Those are strictly animal health related studies though and nothing to do with any hunting practice info.

Last Edited:
NO, while I have no dog in this fight, I would NEVER respond to such a loaded question. Having spent many years in 'higher education environments' this is a leading and suspect premise. AND the fact that this has been "studied" many times over the years. Let them get some live pigs and goats, buy the bullets and do the "lab work". I am sure some 'liberal, anti-gun, anti-hunting" will award them a 'grant' for monies. George Sorros and others, where are you?

NO, while I have no dog in this fight, I would NEVER respond to such a loaded question. Having spent many years in 'higher education environments' this is a leading and suspect premise. AND the fact that this has been "studied" many times over the years. Let them get some live pigs and goats, buy the bullets and do the "lab work". I am sure some 'liberal, anti-gun, anti-hunting" will award them a 'grant' for monies. George Sorros and others, where are you?
It's a ruse.

I've come to see such things ultimately as devious detriments to my way of life. I refuse to participate in usually disingenuous request for truthful opine where the meaning of my word are supplanted by my checking cleverly worded boxes to be taken out of context and misconstrued.
Do you eat meat? Yes.
Man I wants to torture and kill animals!

"Evaluating Hunting Bullet Terminal Performance in Real World Conditions"

IMO this is a study that will be used to prohibit lead ammo in big game hunting. Ive always guessed at some point this will happen.

More info on this study.

I emailed the guy doing this study with some questions and got a reply. It sounds like an unbiased research project.
Here is our communications:
My letter:
"Leland,

It is unclear to me what it is you are looking to achieve with the results of this study. What do you mean by "best practices"? Is the goal to obtain data to restrict the types of ammunition used or the methods to humanly kill game animals?
Are you a hunter? What experience do you have in putting meat in the freezer to feed your family?
What is your field of study at PSU?
Is this study funded by or supported by an outside organization or company? If so, who are they and what interest to they have in the data results?

I look forward to your reply,
Ron"

His reply:
"Ron,

This research is intended to improve the data available to hunters when selecting hunting ammunition. There is no intent to pursue regulations.

I am a hunter, both personally and worked for almost a decade on invasive species management projects (feral pigs, goats, etc.). I have dealt with selecting hunting bullets for a variety of firearms and the lack of research on performance has been frustrating me for years. I began talking about conducting a study like this close to a decade ago, and finally it came together, and PSU accepted me into the graduate biology program.

This study is a collaborative effort between ODFW, PSU, and the Oregon Zoo. It's a bit of an odd group, but all involved agreed on the importance of hunting within the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation, and the intent to share the information with hunters to assist in selecting bullets for harvesting game.

Hope that helps,
Leland"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews