Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Interesting read for people who CCW

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by t.huynh, Dec 18, 2010.

1. t.huynh

t.huynh vancouver, wa Active Member

Blitzkrieg, 206thsense, GOG and 5 others like this.
  2. Decker

Decker My house Active Member

Nice find. Worth the read.

-d

3. Beefcake

Beefcake Portland Active Member

Long, but well worth reading. It presents a dose of reality that we should all think about.

4. Dell_dude

Dell_dude Vancouver, WA Member

That prosecutor and any detectives who ignored physical evidence in favor of statements from the attackers should be fired.

We're not talking about a hair with DNA that was missed here. We're talking about the attackers blatantly lying about where the events transpired, and physical evidence that was crystal clear in showing that.

IMO that's an absolute dereliction of duty and a complete waste of tax payer money.

5. sed

sed Portland area Member

Good read. Thank you for sharing.

6. keystir

keystir Hillsboro, OR Active Member

A good reminder for folks to remember how quickly a simple neighborhood tiff can turn violent.

7. HahnsXD

HahnsXD Battle Ground WA Active Member

Why were the attackers not charged with anything?

8. revjen45

revjen45 Snohomish County Well-Known Member

Question for any members with legal expertise: how would this play in WA State?
    A) In the Peoples' Republic of Seattle & Environs (North San Francisco/Santa Monica)?
    and
    B) In the part of the state located in Free America? (That part identifying socially and politically with rest of the Western USA)?
    c.) If one is obviously physically inferior to the combined might of the assailants? e.g. age >60, orthopedic injuries, etc?
    D.) How much does the law requiring the State to cover legal expenses in a finding of self-defense restrain the malicious prosecutions? I have seen people walk in situations that totally astounded me (assuming there was any resemblance between what the public is told and what happened) but I sure wouldn't depend on that phenomenon saving me. One example was the man who spent the night in a non-abode property he owned after a burglary or 2. When the thief returned the property owner pulled a pump shotgun and the burglar took off (accomplice outside). The property owner shot the thief in the gluteus as he fled and was stupid enough to say :nuts: he shot to scare him. No charges were filed :huh: even after such a breathtaking paroxysm in astounding stupidity in (a.) shooting the fleeing goblin (b) admitting in shooting to scare, which is also admitting that he didn't feel like he was threatened with being killed or maimed. (Actually it would fly in TX where it's legal to shoot a thief on your property after dark.)
    Poster has several NRA instructor certs, training at FAS & Insights, carries regularly, is polite and cordial to all. Too old to fight, too fat to run.

9. t.huynh

t.huynh vancouver, wa Active Member

Man, just reading through all my old threads and found this gem. Still a good read for new and old members/permit holders.

10. hondakilla98

hondakilla98 beaverton, or Active Member

That's officially the longest commercial I've ever read. Not a bad read though.

11. Kevinkris

Kevinkris Aloha Well-Known Member

it would fly in florida too. it happens to be specifically mentioned as legal to shoot a retreating person who has entered your home illegally.

12. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

13. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I would have happily beat both (psycho) females down in seconds. Neither would get to my lady

14. nastybynature

nastybynature ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Active Member

This is the part that stands out to me as far as the aftermath goes.

"After recounting his ordeal from beginning to end,
    Hickey emphasizes that he no longer believes that a trial
    is about right and wrong, crime and justice. “It seems to
    be about winning and losing,” he muses."

I would go so far as to say that this is mostly the reality of life, regardless of what people want to believe is true.

Good information in there for sure!

15. hotSAUCE

hotSAUCE All over Active Member

Good read!

16. EUGENE the REALTOR

EUGENE the REALTOR Portland Metro Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

I think I've read books shorter than that...

17. oldmoparbuff

oldmoparbuff United States New Member

two hung juries?
    I question the whole voir dire process.
    Does it really select a peer?

18. 206thsense

206thsense Seattle, WA, USA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Hadn't seen this before, but it's a good read. Dealing with cops, going to the police station, being charged, staying in jail, going to trial... definitely DIFFERENT than TV.

All it takes is one experience of watching a family member or friend go through the hell of being charged... the system is not stacked in your favor unless you have a good lawyer and people who can support you. This guy was lucky to not only have a good public defender, but experts like Ayoob coming out to bat for him.

But yeah... another reminder that in the unlikely event that you do have to shoot to defend yourself or your family... the 2nd call after 911 better be to get a good lawyer.

Blitzkrieg and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Blitzkrieg

With our polyglot, dumbed down multicult society, the answer is no

20. Blitzkrieg

Guys like Ayoob recommend you have a good self defense lawyer on retainer if you can afford it. At minimum have a card for one in your wallet

206thsense and (deleted member) like this.