JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,
Thank you in advance for helping me find out more about the Sig 220. I was wondering if they have generation's like GLOCK does. I had not thought about Sig due to my little knowledge of the pistol its self. I would appreciate an explination as to why the price seems to varry so much from pistol to pistol. The round count and condition appear similar, I was wondering if I am missing something. Also, If you own a sig 220 I would appreciate a brief overview of your expierience with the weapon system. Thanks again.

I am no sig expert so I can't answer all of your questions. I will say that I have owned more than a few sigs and I dont care for some of the new models. I've owned 228's, 229's, and currently own a 220 carry. They have all been great guns and not a single one has given me any problems.

I chose the 220 carry as my everyday carry gun for alot of reasons. I'm partial to 1911s so it was hard for me to deny carrying a 1911 every day but the 1911 just didn't have the features I wanted in a carry gun. Not only the 1911 but alot of other pistols didn't have the features either. Realiability, double/single action, price, size, looks, and safety all played a factor in my choice for a sig.

Funny thing is, I just picked up a xd40 subcompact and like the feel of it better than my sig. But unfortunally it doesn't meet my needs in a everyday carry weapon as my sig does.

Now if sig would just come out with a GOOD pistol with a smaller grip then I would be 100% happy.

I'm pretty much an expert on everything...nothing?...can't remember

From what I have seen the polymer framed Sigs are cheaper than the steel framed guns like the 220.
And of course supply and demand.Kind of like the poly guns are for the ' I'd like to own a Sig if they weren't so expensive ' crowd and the steel guns are for those who demand a Sig and are happy to pay for it

How much for the 220 you are looking at? There is a used one up here for $1100 as new.A little steep I believe.

I owned the Sig 220 and loved it, very accurate and fit the hand well with Hogue grips. Trigger can be lightened with some spring swaps. Check the Sig Forum. $500 is the most I would pay for one.

Depends on make and model...stamped slide versus stainless steel etc..For example I bought a sig p220 stamped slide with night sights /aluminum frame for $450.. I then bought a all stainless frame and slide with rail with out night sights ie p220 ST for $700.

I had a German 220 with the heel spur mag catch, and traded it probably 15 years ago for another 220 blued steel, with the thumb button mag release.
My 220 is still around although not carried as often as when I first got it.
Shoots just fine, but does not like when I seat my primers too deep, might have to pull the trigger twice every 400 rounds down the pipe.

while I hear that they have to HE'double hockey sticks and back reliability, I hope to never go there, although I think that I could see it from the top of a few dunes that I crossed a few years ago.

I can say that if I keep putting the grease and one spot of oil in the right places it will probably last till long after I am dust.

If you want a reasonably priced SIG, look for certified pre owned sigs, I think there are always some to be found online.

I have a 220 with beavertail setup and I do it as my dc sometimes. Very comfortable to shoot and very stupid accurate gun. magazines are expensive but nothing so greater than quality 1911 magazines. My personal favorite for the setup is the laser grips and YHM M2 Cobra can for it. With some water in it and it is very quiet.
Literally one of my personal favorites to carry between the Beretta 92, glock 26 and 220 and 226.

I carry a Sig P220 everyday. It is the most accurate pistol I have ever shot. When I picked it up at the store, it felt like I was shaking hands with a friend. That's what sold me. My hand may be different or something because most people I see change to Hogue grips. I have the SS slide but no rail. Not sure if that's a carry model but seems like it because its smooth with nothing to catch on. It is a little heavy, but in a shoulder holster I have become accustomed and feel naked without it. I paid $700 new, but I think it was a year old model or something. They made me a deal at the local sporting goods store. I will never get rid of this gun.

I have owned a couple and they are excellent. The double/single action allows you to have a round in the chamber and the first shot is double action like a revolver and single action semi-auto on the next. That is a safety factor for some folks. I also like the de-cocker. The only negative I found is that it was a bit bulky for my needs. Mine were dependable and accurate. Ken

The double/single action allows you to have a round in the chamber and the first shot is double action like a revolver and single action semi-auto on the next. That is a safety factor for some folks. Ken

This is the number 1 reason why I still have this for a carry gun. With kids around while it is in my nightstand I feel alot better knowing this. So much in fact that I don't carry my xd40 as it is easier to have a accidental discharge.

I scored a JG code (1986) 220 at northwest armory for $450, box and manual.
First Sig and it is by far the best out of the box pistol I have shot.
It's my EDC in a Crossbreed.
FWIW the night sights still glow. not bright but work in pitch black.

I stripped the frame, cleaned the gunk out and reassembled it with no manual or drama.
Already have tools and such. I thought it was easy to strip anyway.
I cheated and took pics taking it apart with my phone. Made putting it back together easier.
I have em on photobucket if anyone wants em.
Slide will be next when I get a spring kit.

Respring kits are around $30
Mags are spendy but oh well
Can get all kinds of grips to suit your style
Excellent trigger both D/A and S/A, no trigger job needed. By my calibrated finger it feels about 12 lbs D/A and 4 S/A
More accurate than I am
Has ate everything I have fed it. No +P rounds though. I stoke my FNP45 with those anyway.
Fit and balance for me is great. Almost like it was made for my hand.
Looks cool
Smells like gun oil
Easy (for me) to carry
It's a Sig

pix

Last Edited:
Mine is a German made sig, still one of the best guns I own. It has seen some miles and taken a beating from time to time, never had a doubt that it will work when I need it. I've put countless thousands of rounds down range with it, I do change the springs about every 5k or so. As long as you keep em lubed up they run forever. As for the gen question, up til about two years ago the only real changes were the slides ( stamped steel- German made and milled stainless- US made) now they have come out with the E2 grips. A one piece grip that come in differnt sizes and have better ergos than the old grips. I am a fan of the old school staped slide, I feel they are better balanced than the ss slide guns.

What odie said. I traded my old sig off because I traded for a spankin' new 220 carry. I'm sorry, but the old one had a better feel to it and what I did was a mistake.

I just picked up a 220 a few months ago. My first time out with it, it became my most accurate pistol. I have a P226 Elite with a Barsto .357 sig barrel that is very accurate, but for me the 220 outshoots it. I haven't been able to spend a lot of time with it so far, but the single stack grip circumference on the 220 just fits perfect in the hand. My 220 is the Equinox model with the fiber optic front sight. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but the polished slide flats make it the best looking 220 model that Sig manufactures. Of all the people that I have shot with, the 220 is consistently at the top of the list of all the guns they own. If it's not their favorite, it's right up there. If you pick one up, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. If not, they tend to hold their value very well.

I've never heard them referred to by generation like the glocks, but they have changed over the years. I'm no expert either, but I do know that they were beefed up at some point. Something to do with +P ammo causing excessive wear I believe. You've got stamped slides turned into milled stainless steel slides and at some point they tacked rails onto them. Try SIGforum.com --A discussion forum for SIG enthusiasts, I believe there have been similar threads there and some real experts seem to hang out there.

Am no expert, like those above, but will tell you my experiences. I have 2 sigs- a 239 & a 220 carry elite. The 239 is the version I carry between the two as its lighter, smaller of the two. But with that being said, am very pleased w/ both and have carried the 220. Both are amazingly accurate and comfortable to shoot. I don't think you can go wrong with a SIG, however, there may be other options better suited to your physical make up, carry style, experience & comfort with a particular gun's manual of arms, ect.

Key to carrying any handgun is a quality holster & gun belt. Without either, you'll have issues and frequently people blame the gun & not the holster/ belt.

Good luck w/ your search. SIGs are great guns, expensive yes, but I have had good experiences with them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top