JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The 1994-2004 weapons ban put a lot of wind back in the 1911's sails.
Without it I doubt we would have all the 1911 manufactures you see today.

When we were limited to ten rounds, eight big .45 ACP rounds just started to make more sense.

I need to fully retract my comments about it being "obsolete". My original thoughts regarding such were simply in comparison to more modern designs, and how it had not been used for a very long time in its originally intended role as a front-line military handgun.

For example, a Jeep is a really cool vehicle that a lot of people love and drive, but no serious soldier would ever choose one over a Humvee. The Jeep is fully obsolete for its original intended role.

Well, I did a little research on who still uses the M1911, and it appears that some very serious people with some very serious organizations still utilize the old warhorse in its original role. That's pretty impressive.

It can be argued that it is obsolescent, but definitely not obsolete!

Not a fan of the 1911. They're sexy as hell, but every one of them feels like holding a brick in my hand.
We're all different, and a lot of it is just what you're used to. To me a 1911 feels like it was made for my hand, but it's what I'm used to.

When I got my first Glock, I always said that Glocks have the ergonomics of a brick. It just didn't fit my hand at all. After a while I started getting used to it, and now I like it.

The one that feels best, for me, is the CZ75. It fits my hand like a glove, even better than a 1911.

It is a fine handgun , and over the years I have owned my share . Having said that I do not wax poetic over them any more, as with all things technology has provided better, more accurate and more reliable solutions.

Walt Kowalski is what I think of when I see 1911s. Well, that and dumb arse internet pictures of a grim reaper pointing one right at you with "wrong house" or "wait for flash" or similar on the muzzle. The later, in all honesty, has some some damage to the image for me.

Reminds me I need to shoot mine again. Bet I haven't pulled the trigger in a year :(

It's strange that I see this post just as I was thinking that it's time for a 1911. I've never owned one(fired them plenty), and I think it's high time after a string of polymer wonders. Now I just gotta find something budget friendly, knowing absolutely nothing about them. Yeehaw.

I am a 'moderate' fan of the 1911 - owned several and just one now which is my primary carry gun.

I do wish however I would have bought the first 1911 that was offered to me - for $250.00 - which included an original GI holster, but that 'S. Mfg. Co.' engraved in the frame told me it was NOT a real Colt and that is what I wanted - at my 'ripe old age' of 18 at the time......

What is the purpose of a handgun? Does the 1911 fulfill that purpose?

There are of course simpler and more advanced designs. Not to mention lighter and larger magazine capacity. That said the 1911 works; it's a pistol that's meant for fighting and has a long record of perform that function.

I do have a 1911; it's mainly set up for bullseye target shooting but can easily shift into a defensive role also. My primary general purpose handgun is a S&W 645 - really little more than an updated 1911. Its been a constant companion for over 30 years and won't be going to the wayside anytime soon.

In the end it's about personal preference and experience. As long as you're confident in your gear, go with what works best for you.

Say what you will, even though many have trouble shooting it well and by todays standards it does not hold many round, Since 1978 I have used, loaded, carried and concealed my 4 digit serial number'd Colt 1911a1 Series 70 Mk 4 in 45 acp. It is absolutely my 'go to' handgun.

20200604_125601.jpg

Say what you will, even though many have trouble shooting it well and by todays standards it does not hold many round, Since 1978 I have used, loaded, carried and concealed my 4 digit serial number'd Colt 1911a1 Series 70 Mk 4 in 45 acp. It is absolutely my 'go to' handgun.

View attachment 733876
Interesting how if you connect the dots you'd almost have an equilateral triangle

Old, not really, Not in the way most things get old, and cast out, tossed aside for modern, usually no better then what it replaced!
Tenured is a more apt description for me!

Just think, in the very earliest days of the 1900's J.M. Browning took on the challenge of designing a semi auto pistol for the Army ( Something that didn't exist yet), and while many of his design iterations that came before it sucked,( As did pretty much everybody else's designs) it was the simplicity it self that proved its metal, so well that the Army's trials were accomplished with great ease! SIMPLE! It's a simple design, considering the need for complex machining and hand fitting of multiple parts Long before CNC or anything complicated, it's kind of complex compared to more modern designs, and yet it functions FLAWLESSLY! In a time of modern machining and casting, and polymers, the 1911 seems old, but remember, it was made when complex work was done by hand and everything still worked as designed, GENIUS! Reliable, 115 years old, spending more time in combat then any two of it's nearest rivals combined, and in fact, still serves in combat to this day with special operations command! I have had a 1911 since I was 16, I have been issued a few in combat, I have carried one on my person most of the last 12 years since I retired, and I have NEVER felt under gunned! In fact, I carry a Double Stack 1911 or a 2011 series, and that's some serious capacity, putting to rest the complaints of low capacity for ever! There have been many designs that have come along in the last 115 years, but it wasn't until 1986 that some one finally came along with a better design that actually worked and was as reliable and accurate! And yet, since then, the 1911 has continued to serve long after it was supposed to be replaced!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews