JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
He went towards a transient camp in the general area.
Talk about a growing problem! The problem of transient camps are nothing new but the seemingly acceptance of them in close proximity to rural residential areas is nothing but trouble. These people are dug in and have a feral, predatory mentality and probably spend an ordinate amount of their non-passed out time studying the habits of those of us who live is these areas. Personally I think residents who have this problem should lean very HEAVILY on the owners of any property where transients are living and get them out by any means necessary - I mean what do you do when you have rats or other varmints on your property?. It got pretty bad in Bend for several years but recently I am seeing improvement in some areas where there were permanent tent cities to being completely cleared out.

Talk about a growing problem! The problem of transient camps are nothing new but the seemingly acceptance of them in close proximity to rural residential areas is nothing but trouble..
There's a sanctioned one right in front of most all city halls right now. I think they give them coffee and sandwiches.

Talk about a growing problem! The problem of transient camps are nothing new but the seemingly acceptance of them in close proximity to rural residential areas is nothing but trouble. These people are dug in and have a feral, predatory mentality and probably spend an ordinate amount of their non-passed out time studying the habits of those of us who live is these areas. Personally I think residents who have this problem should lean very HEAVILY on the owners of any property where transients are living and get them out by any means necessary - I mean what do you do when you have rats or other varmints on your property?. It got pretty bad in Bend for several years but recently I am seeing improvement in some areas where there were permanent tent cities to being completely cleared out.

These transient camps have been here off and on for years. The property owner is Metro Service District. I just made my 4th phone call in two days to some mid level manager hiding behind his answering message. 2 other neighbors have also left messages with no response. These transient pukes were ran out last summer, but came right back. One is very close to a railroad trestle which burned back in 1984 when some bums started a fire. If these camps are allowed to remain, there will be high water some time this winter and it will float all their garbage and sh*t out on to my land and others neighbors as well.

Another neighbor has had numerous break ins at his farm shop and thefts. We believe these transients are responsible for opening gates that let my neighbors buffalo out, resulting in a traffic accident and us having to put down 6 animals to prevent other damage and injury. Huge dollar loss for him.

This Metro drone has until close of business today to respond to me about how they intend to deal with trespassers on their property that is adjacent to mine, and that these trespassers are creating problems for the neighboring property owners. If I do not hear from him with the right answers, then my next call is to Channel 2 news to see if they can help us out.

Your observations about their behavior and habits is spot on. They seldom show themselves in the light of day for fear of being ID'd for all the crimes they do, they have to steal to buy what ever food they get and the massive amounts of crank they seem to use.

We just had a neighboring business move in, their clientele tend to be some real lowlifes. Our front door is routinely mistaken for theirs, and the folks coming in tend to be a little agitated. Last night several guys came in with lit cigarettes into our front office, It's not the end of the world, but it's rude and helps characterize what we are dealing with. I was upstairs, My dad handled them and got them pointed in the right direction, which is good, because my dad is a whole lot more soft spoken and polite than I am. After they left, I told him he needs to get his concealed carry right away, he did not disagree. I provided him with a pistol for his desk drawer in the interim, cuz I usually have 2.

My wife is returning to the work force, and I am going to get her a concealed carry and a pistol, one that she can carry and shoot well. She will be in an office with a few other women. This is really a challenge as she is as girly as the day is long. She shrieked the first and only time she shot my full sized FNS9. My mom, who is also dainty and girly, and has shot a Glock 23, thought she should shoot it, since she was shooting My 9mm well. My wife had only ever shot a .22 pistol, and it scared her when she shot the 9, because it was her first encounter with a pistol with any real perceived recoil. My plan was to work her up to it, educate her, prepare her, so much for that idea.

I carry all the time at the house, I talk to my kids, we have a safe room, cell phones, safety procedures and precautions. To be candid, I do not feel it is enough. Right now my present home protection plan is for her to hand my son the shotgun or my .357 Magnum, in the event that an intruder is in the house. It's not ideal, but it's the best chance they have at surviving an attack, the fact is, they are pretty vulnerable. Cash is tight, so a lot of training just isn't in the cards right now. I feel like we are generally under prepared.

A reloading shop (owner) that I frequented (bad hood) bought himself a Rottie and had her trained after he saw our large, protection trained male.. I came back a few months later and he already had success stories to tell. Few people want to mess with one

Here in N.E. PDX, we are blessed with dignity village, a city/county permitted permanent homeless camp. Been there years now. I am sure that in the minds of the local goverment that camp and it's residents are just as legitimate as my home and family! A few years ago a complete mental wipeout was pushing his bottle/loot cart past the house (we were on his regular route) and decided that he had to urinate,so he just stops, whips it out and let's go. This guy is leaning on his cart in the middle of the street doin his business and he is so befuddled that when I asked him if he wanted to meet my Rottweilers he just looks in my general direction. Now, he can't see me and I'm right in front of him, ten feet away! The dogs, growling bloody murder, seemed to register and he just drops his crank and slowly shuffles on. I like to think that upon realization of his hangin' out he had a flesh/zipper malfunction of biblical proportions!

PS: We, and a lot of our neighbors have lost outdoor furniture ! Nice to know that we helped with the camps decor! We lock everything! Lawn furniture have substantial chains and I'm always armed. They do give Lilly (Bull Mastif) a wide berth!

Last Edited:
Be thankful, in learning what self defense can be about You, your wife and family are alive and well and that it didn't cost any of you your life.
You wife now carries walking to the mail box?
I carry in the shower, in Church, mowing the lawn, at the swimming pool. No matter where you are someone could be setting you up or can be there unexpectedly when you arrive. If nothing else find the lightest carry and have it on your person at all times. Let this experience help you to be prepared for the rest of your life and never shoot someone unless you have no other choice.
Silver Hand

Glad it ended well for you and your Wife CoastRange!

I wish I could get my Wife into going to the range and carrying but she has no interest at all.

Hard enough to get her into the habit of locking her car doors when out and about.

There is a family owned tree nursery down the road from me.
One day the owner went out to check on the irrigation pump house and found a heavy duty electrical cable connected to his pumps electrical service box.
It ran out of an air vent and down along side the railroad tracks for over 150'.
He followed it until it went into a huge blackberry patch. After finding an entrance, he found a small tar paper shack with all of the comforts of home.
Wall to wall carpeting, windows, overhead lights and a portable heater set to a toasty 70 degrees.
The owner had a lot of tools and other things stolen from his nursery and thought it might have been an employee.
I helped him recover his tools and other items and then he fired up his D8 Cat and rolled it all up into a nice tight pile.

We just had a neighboring business move in, their clientele tend to be some real lowlifes. Our front door is routinely mistaken for theirs, and the folks coming in tend to be a little agitated. Last night several guys came in with lit cigarettes into our front office, It's not the end of the world, but it's rude and helps characterize what we are dealing with. I was upstairs, My dad handled them and got them pointed in the right direction, which is good, because my dad is a whole lot more soft spoken and polite than I am. After they left, I told him he needs to get his concealed carry right away, he did not disagree. I provided him with a pistol for his desk drawer in the interim, cuz I usually have 2
My wife is returning to the work force, and I am going to get her a concealed carry and a pistol, one that she can carry and shoot well. She will be in an office with a few other women. This is really a challenge as she is as girly as the day is long. She shrieked the first and only time she shot my full sized FNS9. My mom, who is also dainty and girly, and has shot a Glock 23, thought she should shoot it, since she was shooting My 9mm well. My wife had only ever shot a .22 pistol, and it scared her when she shot the 9, because it was her first encounter with a pistol with any real perceived recoil. My plan was to work her up to it, educate her, prepare her, so much for that idea.

I carry all the time at the house, I talk to my kids, we have a safe room, cell phones, safety procedures and precautions. To be candid, I do not feel it is enough. Right now my present home protection plan is for her to hand my son the shotgun or my .357 Magnum, in the event that an intruder is in the house. It's not ideal, but it's the best chance they have at surviving an attack, the fact is, they are pretty vulnerable. Cash is tight, so a lot of training just isn't in the cards right now. I feel like we are generally under prepared.

I don't think you need CCL to carry on your own property or in your business.

These transient camps have been here off and on for years. The property owner is Metro Service District. I just made my 4th phone call in two days to some mid level manager hiding behind his answering message. 2 other neighbors have also left messages with no response. These transient pukes were ran out last summer, but came right back. One is very close to a railroad trestle which burned back in 1984 when some bums started a fire. If these camps are allowed to remain, there will be high water some time this winter and it will float all their garbage and sh*t out on to my land and others neighbors as well.

Another neighbor has had numerous break ins at his farm shop and thefts. We believe these transients are responsible for opening gates that let my neighbors buffalo out, resulting in a traffic accident and us having to put down 6 animals to prevent other damage and injury. Huge dollar loss for him.

This Metro drone has until close of business today to respond to me about how they intend to deal with trespassers on their property that is adjacent to mine, and that these trespassers are creating problems for the neighboring property owners. If I do not hear from him with the right answers, then my next call is to Channel 2 news to see if they can help us out.

Your observations about their behavior and habits is spot on. They seldom show themselves in the light of day for fear of being ID'd for all the crimes they do, they have to steal to buy what ever food they get and the massive amounts of crank they seem to use.

I'm glad you are all safe. In order to fight with Metro you will want to have all your neighbors file a police report over every problem they encounter to create a paper tail. It's going to be a lot tougher for them to ignore a stack of police report.

please keep us updated

Very glad you and the wife are unharmed. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I used to have a large dog that was outside at all times. Now we have two little yappers. They are the best "door bells" we've ever had. They are not capable of helping in a fight, but have eyes, ears and noses that are far better than mine and they love to tell me when something is around that shouldn't be.

The Boy Scouts have it right. Be prepared!

There is a family owned tree nursery down the road from me.
One day the owner went out to check on the irrigation pump house and found a heavy duty electrical cable connected to his pumps electrical service box.
It ran out of an air vent and down along side the railroad tracks for over 150'.
He followed it until it went into a huge blackberry patch. After finding an entrance, he found a small tar paper shack with all of the comforts of home.
Wall to wall carpeting, windows, overhead lights and a portable heater set to a toasty 70 degrees.
The owner had a lot of tools and other things stolen from his nursery and thought it might have been an employee.
I helped him recover his tools and other items and then he fired up his D8 Cat and rolled it all up into a nice tight pile.
A happy ending !!!

I used to have a large dog that was outside at all times. Now we have two little yappers. They are the best "door bells" we've ever had. They are not capable of helping in a fight, but have eyes, ears and noses that are far better than mine and they love to tell me when something is around that shouldn't be.

Many small dog breeds were bred for just that, alarm critters

Many small dog breeds were bred for just that, alarm critters

Dogs are an awesome part of a layered security scheme ranging from early warning, to actual physical/personal protection... plus, if food becomes scarce in an extended SHTF situation, I'm told dog taste a lot like beef! ;)

It used to be that everybody felt safe leaving their doors unlocked at night or even when they left the house, sadly, those days are long gone. I carry whenever possible because a person never knows when trouble is going to come calling. I prefer be armed and not need it rather than unarmed and hope that I don't need it.

the funny thing being, when people felt "safe" leaving their doors unlocked crime was much higher.

we have the lowest levels of violent crime in history. of course there is a higher incidence of "senseless crime" (ie Sandy Hook, the "knock out game", the beating of the Tuba man in Seattle etc etc where the only reason seems to be the thrill of inflicting violence as opposed to shooting a rival drug dealer for the purpose of taking their turf)

none the less, I feel perfectly safe leaving the door unlocked during the day, and do so regularily. my friends come and walk right into the house and say hi....

that being said I do home carry, but don't fool yourself, there is so few people who intend you ill, so there is no need to fear bad things all the time.

IMHO

Let me set the stage for this. I live in a rural residential area about 3 miles out of town. We have neighbors, we are anywhere from 200 feet apart to 500 feet apart. There is nothing but farmland and wetland behind us for 300 acres. I have drive way alarms that chime in the house and shop.

Sunday afternoon at about 2:20 pm, I was in the house getting ready to come outside. My wife had been cleaning the chicken coop and gathering squash in the garden. We have a unattached garage / shop / office building about 30 feet from our house.

My wife goes to take a wheel barrow full of squash in to the garage. She finds the door locked and goes to the house to get the key, wondering how the side door got locked. She unlocks the door, brings the wheel barrow of squash in and then opens the door to our office. She finds a white male in the office. She yells at him "What the foch are your doing and get the foch out now !!"

She backs out the door and orders him to the ground. She is unarmed at this point. She yells at me, but I cannot hear it in the house. She runs up to the front porch and yells get your gun. This is the normal thing she says when a mole needs to be dealt with, but her tone is different and she says " burglar". Seemed strange to me on a Sunday afternoon, but she is a trained person and I go with her commands unconditionally. Dirt bag jumps up and jackrabbits behind our shed.

I already have the 9mm on me, but grab the AR and go outside. I yell over at my neighbor (LEO) and he comes running over, armed of course. I see the dirt bag going across at field about 250 yards out. Yeah, I was thinking that too, but not the right thing to do. We call 911 and it all starts hitting the fan big time. We had deputies and city police there in about 5 minutes. They begin a dog track across the field, but lose him after about an hour. He went towards a transient camp in the general area. 3 of my sons were out on the highways and roads around looking as well. We had 8 police units and 5 civilians out looking for this dock.

In talking with several neighbors who came down, one of them confronted this shothead in his back yard, but did not detain him or call the police, nor did he monitor where the dockhead went after he ordered him off the property. He left that persons property, came across another person wetland area, and then back up on the road towards out place. He did not enter our property by the driveway because the driveway alarms never activated. So I come out of this with several things:

1. Need to expand the driveway alarms across all the property lines.
2. Both the wife and I must be armed at all times when outside on our OWN PROPERTY!
3. Need to be aggressive in making the government agencies remove these transient camps off public property.
4. Never assume your security plans are effective and good enough.
5. All outbuildings must be secured and locked even when we are outside working in the yard/garden /farm areas.
6. Question all strangers who appear to have interest in your property.

The perp had already gathered items in one of my own bags to take with him, we found that but were unable to get any prints off anything. He was very lucky, one hour before, two of my boys were there, armed of course and with a german sheppard free roaming with one of them too. The boys were none too pleased the perp did this to their mom, and he would have received a good *** beating had they caught him, with my blessing of course.

We have had continuing problems in this neighborhood, and I am tired of this. Never assume your security is good and never assume because it is your own property on a Sunday afternoon, you are secure. You are NOT !!

The perp is very lucky. He lives another day to burglarize and steal from people. Had it been me finding him the chances of him being shot were very good, and at a minimum would have been detained at gunpoint. My wife now carries walking out to the mailbox, or feeding the chickens. This is a lawless society and you need to take care of yourself and your own. These tweaked out criminals need to be dealt with.

Glad you're safe!

glad you will start home carrying!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top