JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Let me set the stage for this. I live in a rural residential area about 3 miles out of town. We have neighbors, we are anywhere from 200 feet apart to 500 feet apart. There is nothing but farmland and wetland behind us for 300 acres. I have drive way alarms that chime in the house and shop.

Sunday afternoon at about 2:20 pm, I was in the house getting ready to come outside. My wife had been cleaning the chicken coop and gathering squash in the garden. We have a unattached garage / shop / office building about 30 feet from our house.

My wife goes to take a wheel barrow full of squash in to the garage. She finds the door locked and goes to the house to get the key, wondering how the side door got locked. She unlocks the door, brings the wheel barrow of squash in and then opens the door to our office. She finds a white male in the office. She yells at him "What the foch are your doing and get the foch out now !!"

She backs out the door and orders him to the ground. She is unarmed at this point. She yells at me, but I cannot hear it in the house. She runs up to the front porch and yells get your gun. This is the normal thing she says when a mole needs to be dealt with, but her tone is different and she says " burglar". Seemed strange to me on a Sunday afternoon, but she is a trained person and I go with her commands unconditionally. Dirt bag jumps up and jackrabbits behind our shed.

I already have the 9mm on me, but grab the AR and go outside. I yell over at my neighbor (LEO) and he comes running over, armed of course. I see the dirt bag going across at field about 250 yards out. Yeah, I was thinking that too, but not the right thing to do. We call 911 and it all starts hitting the fan big time. We had deputies and city police there in about 5 minutes. They begin a dog track across the field, but lose him after about an hour. He went towards a transient camp in the general area. 3 of my sons were out on the highways and roads around looking as well. We had 8 police units and 5 civilians out looking for this dock.

In talking with several neighbors who came down, one of them confronted this shothead in his back yard, but did not detain him or call the police, nor did he monitor where the dockhead went after he ordered him off the property. He left that persons property, came across another person wetland area, and then back up on the road towards out place. He did not enter our property by the driveway because the driveway alarms never activated. So I come out of this with several things:

1. Need to expand the driveway alarms across all the property lines.
2. Both the wife and I must be armed at all times when outside on our OWN PROPERTY!
3. Need to be aggressive in making the government agencies remove these transient camps off public property.
4. Never assume your security plans are effective and good enough.
5. All outbuildings must be secured and locked even when we are outside working in the yard/garden /farm areas.
6. Question all strangers who appear to have interest in your property.

The perp had already gathered items in one of my own bags to take with him, we found that but were unable to get any prints off anything. He was very lucky, one hour before, two of my boys were there, armed of course and with a german sheppard free roaming with one of them too. The boys were none too pleased the perp did this to their mom, and he would have received a good *** beating had they caught him, with my blessing of course.

We have had continuing problems in this neighborhood, and I am tired of this. Never assume your security is good and never assume because it is your own property on a Sunday afternoon, you are secure. You are NOT !!

The perp is very lucky. He lives another day to burglarize and steal from people. Had it been me finding him the chances of him being shot were very good, and at a minimum would have been detained at gunpoint. My wife now carries walking out to the mailbox, or feeding the chickens. This is a lawless society and you need to take care of yourself and your own. These tweaked out criminals need to be dealt with.

If you're going to ever carry, you should always carry. This demonstrates precisely that reason. Frankly you lucked out. A homeless guy stealing stuff from an unlocked out-building is hardly the worst that could happen. There's some genuine monsters out there who could have made this a lot worse.

So, carry every day, carry everywhere.

It used to be that everybody felt safe leaving their doors unlocked at night or even when they left the house, sadly, those days are long gone. I carry whenever possible because a person never knows when trouble is going to come calling. I prefer be armed and not need it rather than unarmed and hope that I don't need it.

We are soon to live in a far more rural setting and our security will be similar.. BTW a good dog can detect invaders long before you will.. we rescue Rotties so we have that covered. If your wife had such a gardening pal the joker would not have been able to escape

I will never open the front door to step outside out there without a major caliber handgun on my person, with reloads, cell phone and a suitable long gun, not to mention the canines

If you're going to ever carry, you should always carry. This demonstrates precisely that reason. Frankly you lucked out. A homeless guy stealing stuff from an unlocked out-building is hardly the worst that could happen. There's some genuine monsters out there who could have made this a lot worse.

So, carry every day, carry everywhere.

I carry all the time. My wife is now carrying all the time. She did off property, but felt fairly secure on our own place. That was flawed thinking, we both agree now. Point well taken.

we rescue Rotties so we have that covered. If your wife had such a gardening pal the joker would not have been able to escape

An excellent point, and that was another one of the flaws in our system. The Aussie / pit should have been out there with her. He would have easily detected and dealt the intruder. He is still smelling around everywhere he was 2 days later. Point well taken.

Excellent replies and suggestions. I hope everyone picks some thing up from this. We are easily one of the more defense/security/prep oriented families in the hood. There are a couple of others real close, but most everyone else is a sheep.

This was a pretty eye opening test for us. One of my ham radio buddies is having me up to show his security stuff too.

Coastrange - at least you were wise enough not to take that LD shot! A dirt bike would have been nice.

The only thing I would have done differently is never call the police unless legally required to; if you shot the intruder, etc.

Watch any TV episode of "I Survived" and 90% of them start out the same way.

Someone leaves their home door unlocked, car door unlocked - just for 'a minute' - and that is all it takes. I have one OCD friend that won't step 2' away from his car w/o locking it. Perhaps it wore off on me.

When I am even on the side of my house blowing leaves, doing yard work, etc, every door is locked, garage is closed, etc. It is a real pain because it would be a lot easy to have them unlocked and not have to walk around the house. But no way Jose.

We all make mistakes though. The other day I left through my garage and left my front door wide open all day. UPS even made a delivery inside my front door. Crap! What a bonehead move. Comes with being old - you forget do things - in layman's terms it sucks. At least my (three) guns LOL were safely locked away in the safe as usual.

I've mentioned a couple of female friends on here with the worst security mindset. No locked doors. One will take a shower and prance around in a towel; she won't even close the blinds. When I asked one if she ever would consider locking her doors when home at night, or get a defensive weapon, even a gun because someone might just walk in and rob or rape her, her response was "why would someone do that?". I gave her a canister of home defense spray and she gave it back to me and said no thanks.

I told her I mentioned her on here and that she is the quasi-poster child for the victim in waiting.

Coastrange - at least you were wise enough not to take that LD shot! A dirt bike would have been nice.

Oh no, I clearly know the ROE. Even in all this sh*t going down, my LEO neighbor and I both found the humor when I said I can make that easily, and we both smiled and said that would be the best way to deal with it. My son is moving out to the property soon and I am pretty sure a UTV type 2 seater minimum vehicle will be coming. We would have run that perp down real fast.

Well Coast, thank God your wife is ok and the guy just ran rather than do anything stupid with her. I've mentioned to several friends and neighbors that the criminal element is expanding outward toward the more rural areas from the big cities. Your experience proves that we all need to keep our guard up.

This is exactly the reason I put auto-locking doors on all of our buildings here. All my exterior locks are those cool ones that have a 10 digit keypad on them that you can make your own custom combos at any time, so you don't have to worry about carrying around keys either.

We just had a neighboring business move in, their clientele tend to be some real lowlifes. Our front door is routinely mistaken for theirs, and the folks coming in tend to be a little agitated. Last night several guys came in with lit cigarettes into our front office, It's not the end of the world, but it's rude and helps characterize what we are dealing with. I was upstairs, My dad handled them and got them pointed in the right direction, which is good, because my dad is a whole lot more soft spoken and polite than I am. After they left, I told him he needs to get his concealed carry right away, he did not disagree. I provided him with a pistol for his desk drawer in the interim, cuz I usually have 2.

My wife is returning to the work force, and I am going to get her a concealed carry and a pistol, one that she can carry and shoot well. She will be in an office with a few other women. This is really a challenge as she is as girly as the day is long. She shrieked the first and only time she shot my full sized FNS9. My mom, who is also dainty and girly, and has shot a Glock 23, thought she should shoot it, since she was shooting My 9mm well. My wife had only ever shot a .22 pistol, and it scared her when she shot the 9, because it was her first encounter with a pistol with any real perceived recoil. My plan was to work her up to it, educate her, prepare her, so much for that idea.

I carry all the time at the house, I talk to my kids, we have a safe room, cell phones, safety procedures and precautions. To be candid, I do not feel it is enough. Right now my present home protection plan is for her to hand my son the shotgun or my .357 Magnum, in the event that an intruder is in the house. It's not ideal, but it's the best chance they have at surviving an attack, the fact is, they are pretty vulnerable. Cash is tight, so a lot of training just isn't in the cards right now. I feel like we are generally under prepared.

Coastrange, I'm glad you and your family are okay. I can't imagine how mad I'd be if someone confronted my wife like that. Hopefully the cops can catch that punk before someone -- other than him! -- gets hurt.

Coastrange, I'm glad you and your family are okay. I can't imagine how mad I'd be if someone confronted my wife like that. Hopefully the cops can catch that punk before someone -- other than him! -- gets hurt.

Let us just say that the private investigation is still going on. 3 of us went top the homeless camp and told them what was up and what will be up in the near future. I have enough time in my day and schedule to observe comings and goings on in a big area by vehicle, spotting scopes, and grumpy old men for friends who are more than happy to assist me. It may take some time, but if the dude is in the immediate area, he will be found, identified and arrested.

My whole and personal security and defense plan will be revised, and 3 of the family members met briefly a few minutes ago, and we need to review and change some things in all our cases.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top