JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Love them or hate them - Colt's Combat Unit, M45A1, or Wiley Clapp, with Novaks and their dual-spring setup, with enough money left over to have Copeland Gunworks smooth up the factory trigger :D;)

Think about evidence, in a self defense shooting, you want the local law enforcers taking care of your $3k, self defense handgun? It's better to carry something more practical and mainstream.

I've never understood this line of thinking. If you get into a self defense shooting, the dollar value of your pistol that saved your life will be the least of your concerns.

I've never understood this line of thinking. If you get into a self defense shooting, the dollar value of your pistol that saved your life will be the least of your concerns.
I shoot well with all of my pistols, expensive or not. All well enough for defense.
If they are not accurate, I don't keep them. Pretty simple rule of thumb.

Last Edited:
"If I could have only one 1911..." A situation I am closing in on. Partly by choice and partly by necessity. Now I'm down to just two. A Colt 1991A1 in .45 ACP and a Colt Government Model in 9mm. I've already decided that when I've fired off all my .45 ACP reloaded cartridges, the .45 pistol is gonna go. Because I can no longer shoot .45 well. Nor 10mm, and those 1911's have already gone. So I'm defaulted down to the 9mm Government Model, which I can still shoot well.

"If I could have only one 1911..." A situation I am closing in on. Partly by choice and partly by necessity. Now I'm down to just two. A Colt 1991A1 in .45 ACP and a Colt Government Model in 9mm. I've already decided that when I've fired off all my .45 ACP reloaded cartridges, the .45 pistol is gonna go. Because I can no longer shoot .45 well. Nor 10mm, and those 1911's have already gone. So I'm defaulted down to the 9mm Government Model, which I can still shoot well.
9mm 1911's are, dare I say, soft shooting…. Or at least my Ronin is..

45 is easy to reload for softer shooting. Those little 9mm shells can be tricky
Most of my reloaded ammo was done to approx. GI specs., not real hot. Lots of 230 gr. jacketed bullets, some 230 gr. cast bullets. A few boxes of 200 gr. Speer target bullets. My problem is, I have peripheral neuropathy. What has happened is, without realizing it, my grip on the gun will loosen. Then when I fire a .45 or 10mm cartridge, once in a while I'll get a double shot because the recoil has bounced my trigger finger off the front of the trigger guard and back onto the trigger, setting off the second, unintended shot. Not good. So to shoot safely and effectively, I have to concentrate mightily on my hold to maintain an adequate grip. A problem I don't have with the 9mm. The other deal is arthritis in the wrists, after a lot of .45 shooting you get reminded the following day with aches and pains.

My problem is, I have peripheral neuropathy. The other deal is arthritis in the wrists, after a lot of .45 shooting you get reminded the following day with aches and pains.
Sorry to hear that. Mom had bad arthritis; I have an intermittent, mild case now. So far, it hasn't impacted my shooting. I did have a nerve injury a few years back in my left hand (am a righty) and could not rack a slide, so carried a 357 until I recovered. Good luck with the 9mm. Shot placement always wins.

I'd keep my Colt Series 70 Classic. It's being touched up with Harrison Custom sights and a mid-length trigger. It's more true to form compared to my other 1911s. I have a Dan Wesson Guardian, and I prefer my Colts.
Harrison does good work, he installed my gold dot on my DW ECO.

Something in stainless and 9mm probably. The SA Milspec on in Stainless has always caught my eye in stores as has most of their lineup in 9mm including the newer Ronin model. I've always liked the Armscor Milspec 9mm one too. One day I'll get one again. When I started I had up to 6 1911s as I thought they were the coolest, now I don't even own 1!

Something in stainless and 9mm probably. The SA Milspec on in Stainless has always caught my eye in stores as has most of their lineup in 9mm including the newer Ronin model. I've always liked the Armscor Milspec 9mm one too. One day I'll get one again. When I started I had up to 6 1911s as I thought they were the coolest, now I don't even own 1!
I keep waiting to see a Ronin when I have cash in hand. I'd probably just buy any of the 4 models I know about without much debate. Although "classic " 2 tone is my least favorite look, aesthetically. That part of the 90s can stay in the past if you ask me.

The one I have now its a Remington that has had a Wilson Beavertail Trigger and Combat hammer installed with the most unbelievable tuning job I have ever felt on a hand gun.

I don't know, Colt has been making the 1911 since 1911 and Dan Wesson started making the 1911 in 2000. I tend to ride with long time builders but Colt went out of business so Dan Wesson is probably a good choice.

Only one? Consider waiting to see if the CMP opens up another round of GI M1911A1 sales.
The one I got was refurbished at Anniston Army Depot in December 1975. It appears that it was also refurbished at Augusta Army Depot at some time too. It looks a lot nicer than the one I carried and shoots really well.
The second round of sales is about 1/3 complete. If they have enough 1911s to support it, Round 3 might start early next year.

M1911A1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top