JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Quite frankly I am quite dismayed at the amount of animosity and assumptions stemming from you folks just based off of where someone is from. It is unbecoming and not at all what I would expect from a community whose #1 rule is "be excellent to each other"

I was born and raised in Kali, I've been shunned, kicked out of school multiple times because of my pro 2a stance, as well as ostrisized from multiple groups. Ive worked blue collar my whole life, joined and served honorably in the Marine Corps. Haven't even once asked anything of the state I reside in, Yet this is the aditude I get faced with when folks ask about where I'm from, just because I'm a transplant.

As a transplant the only thing I ask is a fair shake before you immediately blame me just based off of where I came from, this has happened frequently at various city meetings and quite frankly isn't helping the 2a community at all. If anything your intentionally creating animosity amongst potential comrades.

Well, all I can say is I'm truly sorry you feel dismay. I would say you are NOT one of the californians that are being trashed. I'm sure there are many that are not the problem.

I came here from Utah in 1983 and loved the left, progressive attitude of Portland, and also loved the rural, more right, conservative style. I was always in the middle. Not so much any more.

Let's be careful about labeling an entire group of people (Rule #1), if this thread continues down this track it'll be closed for further comments.

Thank you in advance.

Quite frankly I am quite dismayed at the amount of animosity and assumptions stemming from you folks just based off of where someone is from. It is unbecoming and not at all what I would expect from a community whose #1 rule is "be excellent to each other"

I was born and raised in Kali, I've been shunned, kicked out of school multiple times because of my pro 2a stance, as well as ostrisized from multiple groups. Ive worked blue collar my whole life, joined and served honorably in the Marine Corps. Haven't even once asked anything of the state I reside in, Yet this is the aditude I get faced with when folks ask about where I'm from, just because I'm a transplant.

As a transplant the only thing I ask is a fair shake before you immediately blame me just based off of where I came from, this has happened frequently at various city meetings and quite frankly isn't helping the 2a community at all. If anything your intentionally creating animosity amongst potential comrades.

You are the 20% to the 80% the rest of us have had to endure. If you are as you say (which I believe) none of us natives would look at you and think "Californian". We all know that most Californians from the rural areas are fine people as are many from urban areas.

The problem is the great many who move here (PNW) who come with condescending attitudes and then get politically active to transform a once paradise into the same Tyranny they left. "Californian" is an attitude and not simply where you came from. When I worked retail I can't tell you how many time I had to keep my mouth shut while customers from California were pointedly rude in making comparison to my home soil vs California.

People like you are closer to refugees and are not seen as invaders. You are always welcome as you offset one asshat at the polls and out in public.

I myself am planning a move to Eastern Idaho. I'm not bringing "Portland" with me. Even though I lived there before I'm not voting in any state or local elections until I know who is who and what is what. It will probably take at least three years.

It's the 'culture' thing. California is well known for having exported it's 'culture' for the past 60 plus years. Start with the movie industry and look at all of what has been exported and co-opted by Americans as it suited their fancy and desires. As was told to me many years ago (and you can check it out for yourself) the "California dollar" is worth more? The West has always been the playground of the rich and famous, there is lots of historical documentation to substantiate the concept! Idaho is well on its way to emulating the West Coast and the end result will be a very homogenized society, not a diversified one as fantasized by some!
Like the Carrier Pigeon, the western flavor of Idaho is long gone.

This happens a lot with any kind of attempt to describe a group of folks. Gays are all lumped in with the flaming ones. Christians are seen as wanting to prevent people from doing various acts. Libs are seen as anything goes types. Leftists are seen as fascist "don't" type people with lots of new rules. Etc etc etc. Cali people are seen as trouble makers.

As I've said, I'm a transplant from San Diego in 1980... I don't see myself as a Californian any more, and neither does anybody else, because if you met me you would never know I wasn't born here. I don't talk the talk of Cali, and believe me I know the diff as I still have family there and one is a brother that is obnoxious in his righteous "I know how things should be" type attitude. He represents the Mr. Cool Southern Cali BMW/Porshe/Volvo grouping.

All I can say is make an effort to fit in with the locals, don't be a troublemaker or a know it all, and if the criticisms don't apply to you, then don't take it personal and don't identify with your former life or former place of residence.

I came here from Utah in 1983 and loved the left, progressive attitude of Portland, and also loved the rural, more right, conservative style. I was always in the middle. Not so much any more.

If you're not liberal when you are young, you don't have a heart. If you are not conservative by the time you are old, you don't have a brain. ;):)

Let's be careful about labeling an entire group of people (Rule #1), if this thread continues down this track it'll be closed for further comments.

Thank you in advance.

Kinda thought this thread was gone a long time ago... surprise, surprise, surprise!!!

I see it as common courtesy and decency, keeping your nose out of other peoples' business, don't move to a new area and "try to fix" what ain't broken, and be respectful to the long time locals. Many folks are multi-generational, and when transplants from CA who already have a bad reputation, move to a very conservative or religious area, they are going to be scrutinized whether they realize it, or not.

I've seen it in my home state of Oregon since I was born 63 years ago....Oregon is done. My family came to Oregon as a wagon train captain and his family in the 1840s, and the rest of the huge family homesteaded in Idaho....I still have relatives all over the state of Oregon and Idaho. The now liberal mindset is prominent and prevalent, flashing money and inserting themselves into local government to change things, and the rude, pushy, nosy and "I got mine, now you can't have yours" behavior is extreme. My neighbor down the road from my farm, was that way when he first moved here from CA. Now, he is the sweetest person....just took awhile for the man to see how things were done here, what the neighbors were like (not that we are all living that close to each other), and BE RESPECTFUL TO WHO AND WHAT ARE ALREADY HERE.

I am always willing to give folks the benefit of the doubt....but if you bring your gun grabbing, liberal politics and mindset to a rural, farming, logging and ranching area, WE ARE DONE. I've seen it for many years, here and where my relatives in eastern Oregon live, infiltration into rural areas where all of a sudden, your way or life, be it cattle or sheep ranching, haying, logging, (Gawd ferbid!!), or mill work is suddenly a BAD BAD THING.... and then they hop to and start trying to change it all. We've already had that debacle with the spotted owl, ranching, and the enviros, my family's livelihoods and that of my relatives was almost ground into the dirt.

MY ADVICE TO CA TRANSPLANTS: RESPECT WHAT YOU MOVE TO, AND DO NOT TRY TO CHANGE IT. LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE.
Otherwise, you will be met with a force and pushback far beyond your wildest imagination.

If you're not liberal when you are young, you don't have a heart. If you are not conservative by the time you are old, you don't have a brain. ;):)

You are a wise man. I have to say though, we'd ALL be better off if we remained moderated in our beliefs, left or right.

You are a wise man. I have to say though, we'd ALL be better off if we remained moderated in our beliefs, left or right.

Depends. Sometimes moderation is only a failure to commit. All things in moderation can be applied to most behaviors, but does it really apply to politics?

Some things I believe/adhere to are commonly seen as conservative, others are commonly classic liberal. Does that make me a moderate? Primarily I believe in the most freedom for the most people.

Rush Limbaugh has always said that moderates are people that don't know what they believe.... I doubt that holds accurate, but it is a good dig! ;)

Depends. Sometimes moderation is only a failure to commit. All things in moderation can be applied to most behaviors, but does it really apply to politics?

Some things I believe/adhere to are commonly seen as conservative, others are commonly classic liberal. Does that make me a moderate? Primarily I believe in the most freedom for the most people.

Rush Limbaugh has always said that moderates are people that don't know what they believe.... I doubt that holds accurate, but it is a good dig! ;)

Rush Limbaugh is the Don Lemon of the right. In MY opinion.

I see it as common courtesy and decency, keeping your nose out of other peoples' business, don't move to a new area and "try to fix" what ain't broken, and be respectful to the long time locals. Many folks are multi-generational, and when transplants from CA who already have a bad reputation, move to a very conservative or religious area, they are going to be scrutinized whether they realize it, or not.

I've seen it in my home state of Oregon since I was born 63 years ago....Oregon is done. My family came to Oregon as a wagon train captain and his family in the 1840s, and the rest of the huge family homesteaded in Idaho....I still have relatives all over the state of Oregon and Idaho. The now liberal mindset is prominent and prevalent, flashing money and inserting themselves into local government to change things, and the rude, pushy, nosy and "I got mine, now you can't have yours" behavior is extreme. My neighbor down the road from my farm, was that way when he first moved here from CA. Now, he is the sweetest person....just took awhile for the man to see how things were done here, what the neighbors were like (not that we are all living that close to each other), and BE RESPECTFUL TO WHO AND WHAT ARE ALREADY HERE.

I am always willing to give folks the benefit of the doubt....but if you bring your gun grabbing, liberal politics and mindset to a rural, farming, logging and ranching area, WE ARE DONE. I've seen it for many years, here and where my relatives in eastern Oregon live, infiltration into rural areas where all of a sudden, your way or life, be it cattle or sheep ranching, haying, logging, (Gawd ferbid!!), or mill work is suddenly a BAD BAD THING.... and then they hop to and start trying to change it all. We've already had that debacle with the spotted owl, ranching, and the enviros, my family's livelihoods and that of my relatives was almost ground into the dirt.

MY ADVICE TO CA TRANSPLANTS: RESPECT WHAT YOU MOVE TO, AND DO NOT TRY TO CHANGE IT. LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE.
Otherwise, you will be met with a force and pushback far beyond your wildest imagination.
Wonder if my family came over in that same wagon train. Found out they came with the same group the Donner's were in but they broke off and went to Oregon.

I think it was a different one my relatives were on, they went through Idaho and into NE Oregon, to The Dalles, then settled on farm ground towards Roseburg and Eugene. Mom's immediate relatives split off and eventually settled in the Winchester/Nez Perce area in Idaho, and in what became Grant County, OR.

I think it was a different one my relatives were on, they went through Idaho and into NE Oregon, to The Dalles, then settled on farm ground towards Roseburg and Eugene. Mom's immediate relatives split off and eventually settled in the Winchester/Nez Perce area in Idaho, and in what became Grant County, OR.
Ah, mine went to Hopwell/Mcminnvill area.

In one of our Texas grocery stores, in front of the deli counter, was a platter of free samples of cheese with toothpicks in them for convenience of sampling.

I was gnawing on one of the samples when a woman sidled up next to me then proceeded to sneer at the 'freebie' samples platter stating: "That's against the law in california".

So, I munched for a few seconds and asked her "what's keeping you here"?

She gave me an open mouth look of dismay and quickly walked away...yes, women can be jerks too. Especially, when they come from kommiefornia with kommiefornia airs of superiority...
Than that woman wasn't a true Californian. Otherwise she would have known that Sam's Club, Costco, Whole Foods, and See's Candy officer free samples.

I recall a billboard just south of Ashland, OR that said something like "Don't Californicate Oregon" and another which said "Keep Oregon green...bring money, but don't stay long." Obviously, they didn't work. I've run into two home owners here who have complained about the cost of lawn maintenance. They have said that $25 per hour is "ridiculous!" In CA, they were only paying $8 per hour. They also don't like the grey winter sky. One of them bought their home here off the internet...sight unseen. She was unhappy when she discovered that there were five acres attached and now she has to mow them.

I'm just glad a bunch of the Californians in my age range who are moving up here are into guns, and either aren't political or think democrats are slavers. I was pleasantly surprised. I'm talking 18-30, so there's some hope for the future.

I recall a billboard just south of Ashland, OR that said something like "Don't Californicate Oregon" and another which said "Keep Oregon green...bring money, but don't stay long." Obviously, they didn't work. I've run into two home owners here who have complained about the cost of lawn maintenance. They have said that $25 per hour is "ridiculous!" In CA, they were only paying $8 per hour. They also don't like the grey winter sky. One of them bought their home here off the internet...sight unseen. She was unhappy when she discovered that there were five acres attached and now she has to mow them.

Oh Emmm Geeeeee....

$8/hr may work for illegals, but everybody else in biz has costs. Insurance, license, advertising, Work Comp, etc. I don't see how anybody at all can run a biz for less than $40/hr, so the people doing it for $25 are really living low on the heap. My technical biz charged $75/hr and my Home Inspection biz was $100/hr. (Years ago!)

For awhile I had a contract to service private pay telephones for $25ea/mo... it adds up when you have 300 phones. The owner wanted me to do some installation work for an hourly instead of a flat $150 fee and offered me $16/hr... I laughed at him and he got upset, but as a biz owner, you can't afford to work for peanuts.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews