JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
For those that say "everyone should wear a mask; it's not to protect you, it's to protect everyone else. You need to think about people other than yourself. Only a conceded, self-absorbed A-hole would go out in public without a mask".

To those that say the above and carry daily: Do you carry to protect yourself or to protect everyone else?

If you're carrying for only for self-protection and not to protect everyone else, then scolding others that they're "selfish, conceded, stupid, uncaring, etc" for not wearing a mask, while you're unwilling to protect those same people with a gun seems kind of hypocritical, wouldn't you say?

I know……………… the "experts" tell us this. I find it kind of funny that these CDC "experts" that are telling us that we need to wear a mask at all time, are the same ones that were pushing gun control before the Dickey Amendment forbade it.

What do I know, maybe we should all listen to all "experts"……………..

Homicide

Robert Spitzer | Scholars Strategy Network

Joseph Blocher | Scholars Strategy Network

Sierra Smucker | Scholars Strategy Network

Which gun control policies could prevent mass shootings, according to a gun violence expert

Column: Does carrying a gun make you safer? No. In fact, right-to-carry laws increase violent crime

More Guns Do Not Stop More Crimes, Evidence Shows

On a side note, what if we go get tested, then there's no reason to wear a mask, especially since "it's not meant to protect us, it's to protect everyone else from us."

Ray

The fungus I worked on, as a grad student in molecular genetics, had cells about 2 microns wide. They were clearly visible in a light microscope. So were the E. coli bacteria I worked on as an undergrad. They were about 2 microns long and 0.5 microns wide. Like other bacteria, E. coli is visible in a good light microscope. The corona virus is about 0.1 micron across. Like other viruses, its too small to see in a light microscope. You can see them in an electron microscope.

Dont know why you started talking about alpha particles, as they are just a fragment of a helium molecule, and helium is the smallest atom except for hydrogen. Its just 4 daltons . Even the smallest viruses have lots of huge molecules in them. Coronavirus is 22 million daltons or more.

Obviously, the simple surgical mask isnt capable of blocking free floating corona virus particles. The argument is that it stops droplets people produce when they breath, and that the droplets are more the problem than free floating virus. I haven't seen any data proving that however. But its early days yet.
Yes, I should have caught that. I was tired and out of coffee, but a virus is made up of many molecules. The fact that a N95 mask would capture and prevent inhalation of alpha particles was the point. I may have been looking at the alpha emitters and the average size of the particles emitting the alpha particles. We took nasal and throat swabs, but they are hard to work with when looking for alpha particles. Like I said before, it doesn't take much to stop them. The worst scenario is inhalation. They can cause a lot of damage in the body and some alpha emitters are bone seekers.

As far as the N95 masks, they will stop a certain percentage of viruses. Corona viruses range from about 0.06 to 1.4 microns. A moist N95 mask (Exhalation moisture) is even more efficient at capturing particles of that size. That is why I choose to wear them, just lowering the percentages.

A surgical mask is only to prevent the person wearing it from breathing viruses and bacteria on the other person. It is not very effective at stopping inhalation of particles.

For those that say "everyone should wear a mask; it's not to protect you, it's to protect everyone else. You need to think about people other than yourself. Only a conceded, self-absorbed A-hole would go out in public without a mask".

To those that say the above and carry daily: Do you carry to protect yourself or to protect everyone else?

If you're carrying for only for self-protection and not to protect everyone else, then scolding others that they're "selfish, conceded, stupid, uncaring, etc" for not wearing a mask, while you're unwilling to protect those same people with a gun seems kind of hypocritical, wouldn't you say?

I know……………… the "experts" tell us this. I find it kind of funny that these CDC "experts" that are telling us that we need to wear a mask at all time, are the same ones that were pushing gun control before the Dickey Amendment forbade it.

What do I know, maybe we should all listen to all "experts"……………..

Homicide

Robert Spitzer | Scholars Strategy Network

Joseph Blocher | Scholars Strategy Network

Sierra Smucker | Scholars Strategy Network

Which gun control policies could prevent mass shootings, according to a gun violence expert

Column: Does carrying a gun make you safer? No. In fact, right-to-carry laws increase violent crime

More Guns Do Not Stop More Crimes, Evidence Shows

On a side note, what if we go get tested, then there's no reason to wear a mask, especially since "it's not meant to protect us, it's to protect everyone else from us."

Ray

You're comparing apples and elephants. Whether you carry or not has no effect on those around you; it neither increases nor decreases their risk. I'm guessing, if you're really CC'ing, they have no expectation that you will do anything to protect them.

On the other hand, not wearing a mask puts them at risk.

So, yes, "everyone should wear a mask; it's not to protect you, it's to protect everyone else. You need to think about people other than yourself. Only a conceited, self-absorbed A-hole would go out in public without a mask."

I was shooting primer today on my '39 Chevy and I was wearing my deluxe twin canister mask. Then the thought came to me that it would be funny to go into the grocery store wearing it one day, just to see what kind of looks I got from the other customers!
Or maybe find one of those old military gas masks that cover my whole face and wear that around the store for giggles?

Go into a Safeway store. Employees are required to wear masks. Customers are not required to do so.
There is a two foot Plexiglas partition in front of the checkers. It is a joke and does not protect them when the shoppers step over to the card machine. The checkers are required to stand there all day being breathed and coughed on by the shoppers.

Go into a Costco. Customers as well as employees are required to wear mask. The Plexiglas partition is huge and runs from the beginning of the counter all the way to the end. The checker is well protected. The receipt now prints out outside of the screen so the customer takes it without interaction from the checker.

Kudos to Costco for caring about their employees. Shame on Safeway for not giving a poop about their employees.

Being a grocery checker today is one of the highest risk jobs you could have.

I was shooting primer today on my '39 Chevy and I was wearing my deluxe twin canister mask. Then the thought came to me that it would be funny to go into the grocery store wearing it one day, just to see what kind of looks I got from the other customers!
Or maybe find one of those old military gas masks that cover my whole face and wear that around the store for giggles?
Where's that video of the hawt blonde dominatrix in her rubber suit and gas mask that someone posted about a month ago? That would go well here...

I'm not convinced that N95 masks (at least the way I've seen them worn for the past couple months will protect people from somebody else coughing, sneezing or flapping their gums in the produce aisle at Safeway (or wherever). But until this thing is figured out and somewhat under control, I owe those around me the consideration of keeping my own tiny droplets of spittle to myself. Wearing a mask is just not a huge sacrifice for me. And erring (if that's what it actually amounts to) on the side of caution - at least for now - just seems like the right thing to do.

YMMV

I am sick of this crap.

If you are afraid of catching the china virus or one of those people with health conditions, stay home and isolate. However, do not expect me to wear a mask to protect you, who chooses to go out and risk exposing yourself. I'm not afraid of catching it. If I do, I am healthy, I will quarantine and get over it. But this sacrificing society, to protect a small population of the elderly or those with multiple health problems is not okay.

They keep pushing the over whelming deaths narrative. Well, that didn't come true, thank social distancing`? Yeah, sure, whatever.. I keep hearing about hospitals overflowing, yet even in hard hit places like New York that didn't come true, the fake media had to use old footage of hospitals to sell the hysteria.

If my not wearing a mask makes you upset, well piss off. I will not comply.

I was never one to buy into conspiracy theories, but I'm am done with this social experiment. I admit, it has worked, the masses have been corralled with fear. Now the time has come to let nature progress. The small population of at risk folk can fend for themselves and isolate if they are scared.

Yet now that people are relaxing... we are now hearing children are being affected. Can we really believe the media? I just don't care.

At this point, yeah, I'm willing to sacrifice a few, for the many.

Sign me up for a corona party!

14 pages in and people far smarter than me have already said most of what I was going to say, but hey, free time on a Friday night....
"I WILL NOT COMPLY".
Is this you painting yourself as a heroic freedom fighter, standing against the tyranny of having to wear a mask for an hour or so while you go shopping ?
That's such a sacrifice for you is it? An intolerable hardship ?.
Then I'd suggest you have no clue what real hardship is, what of loss of freedom really is, what life under a tyrannical regime is really like, or you wouldn't be whining because you have been asked to cover your face holes as to help other people not get sick.
Face masks, bandana's, M92's may or may not work as well as we hope, but at least we are making the effort in the hope that even the tiniest bit of mitigation is better than doing nothing. It's giving a toss about people other than yourself.
There's a lot of people who don't have quarantine as an option, they're doing the kinda important stuff so we can have groceries to eat, keeping water coming out of our faucets and the lights on in our houses. But yeah, eff those guys right ?

Not wearing a mask doesn't make you look like a hero standing up for the rights of free man against the oppressive machinery of the State, it just telegraphs that you're a bit of a selfish and thoughtless deek.

"Yet now that people are relaxing... we are now hearing children are being affected. Can we really believe the media? I just don't care.

At this point, yeah, I'm willing to sacrifice a few, for the many.

Sign me up for a corona party!"

print a few copies of this out, leave them where EMT's can easily find them, hand a copy to grocery clerks when you go shopping or maybe print yourself up a couple of T-shirts, so that your bravery can be appreciated outside the Internets.

Whole lot of judgment in here...maybe people should turn in their guns since they kill so many people every year...how selfish. Lol, oh the logic...

Whole lot of judgment in here...maybe people should turn in their guns since they kill so many people every year...how selfish. Lol, oh the logic...

yes, because the circumstance by which people die from gunshots and people catch "gunshot" is almost exactly the same as Covid. I salute your fine thinking and er, logic.

This is one of the few that I literally laugh everytime I look at it

61156.jpeg

Got rained out before I could finish the yard work, sans mask of course.

Question for you true believers in mask fiction: Did you approve of the judge jailing salon owner Shelley Luther for daring to open her place of business?

Or, did you cheer the Texas Supreme Court decision that she had to be set free?

Your answer will tell which side of the Constitution you stand up or down for.
Yes Typhoid Mary should not have been descriminated against either she did not mean any harm. It was her right to make a living regardless of how she impacted society.

Face masks, bandana's, M92's may or may not work as well as we hope, but at least we are making the effort in the hope that even the tiniest bit of mitigation is better than doing nothing.

I think that most of the non mask wearing heathens just.want some actual real evidence before they jump through the CDCs hoops. "Couldn't hurt" doesn't quite cut it.

A few are probably just dicks.

In all seriousness, what about herd immunity? Isn't that really the end goal anyways?

Even with a vaccine, isn't that intentionally introducing the virus (although modified to be weaker) to produce herd immunity? What about the people who believe that the best and safest method of dealing with this thing is through herd immunity?

If everybody is taking every possible precaution like wearing masks, which will not guarantee that nobody gets this thing and end it completely, then aren't we delaying herd immunity?

What if I'm comfortable taking the risk because I believe that this is the best long term route for everybody? If you're worried then take your precautions.

For the record, I'm type 2 diabetic but it's controlled through weight loss, diet and exercise. I am not on meds, I do not have a reason to actively monitor. According to the reports, I'm in the high risk category but I'm not afraid and I believe I'm healthy enough that I don't hide from this thing. I don't wear a mask except to go to Costco because they require it. I leave my house as much now as I did before the virus. I believe herd immunity is the proper strategy and I can be part of that.

That said, I see no issue with a business requiring patrons to wear a mask. I have no issue with others wearing one. I don't have a problem with government advising masks. I do have a problem with government trying to dictate them.

Any of you could try coming up to me randomly on the street to shame me about not wearing one ... but you wouldn't. I'm not approachable and I'd blow you off anyways.

Status

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads