JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After nearly 30 years of smoking 2 packs a day today is my second smoke free month.
Just stop if you wantto quit.

No patch, pill or crutch. Just stopped.:s0155:

After smoking for 22+ years, I quit cold, 10 years ago.

The physical addiction (1st. couple of days) was the easy part.
The mental (every day since the last smoke) part is f'ng hard!

Don't make a big deal of quitting. Don't talk about it at work, just start living with out it!

For me, kicking the the mental was replacing the habit of reaching into my pocket and putting the smoke into my mouth. I used sugar free certs, another addiction that was hard to kick!

Good luck, it can be done!

I agree with this post. I was told when you quit don't tell everyone, don't make bets or do it with someone else. Just quit. I did after smoking for almost 30 years.
February 2002 I quit and never went back. I was also told that every time you quit and go back to it your brain feels a bit weaker to get it done. So wait until you are truly ready then QUIT!!!!!
I also watched my dad die of emphysema, not the way I want to go out.
Good luck!!!!!

I went thru much the same thing. Quit for 5 years and then decided to have just one when I was stressed by the job I had at the time. Nicotine is more addictive than Heroin. The second time I quite was because I had a really serious cold, almost bordering on pneumonia, and I literally couldn't smoke without coughing up a lung. Managed to quit cold turkey and never went back. That was 20 years ago.

Keep at it. Quitting smoking will be one of the toughest things you ever do, but you can do it! Just remember, "You're a puff away from a pack a day.".

Practice, practice , practice. You have to really want to. I know that sound obvious but it's true. Treat yourself to a nice lunch with some of the money you save. Beware that quitting smoking makes everyone around you turn into an arsehole!! Best of luck.

Watching my uncle die of lung cancer that spread to his spine at his home because he didn't have insurance did it for me.

Or you could just tell all your friends, family, employees to punch you if they see or hear you talk about smoking. You start to recognize the smoking with pain and makes you not want to do it. Works for training dogs. Something like that.

Or just knowing you smell like ish.

...Also get a big glass jar, and everyday drop in $1 bills worth of smokes so you can SEE the cash stack up.
+1 on that. That has been good motivation, about a month off chew will pay for my range membership for the year :s0155: Stopping the use is sure hard. I've smoked then chewed then smoked then chewed 25 years or something...

I 'quit' chewing Jan. 1st, won't say I've kicked it for good until I've been off it for a long stretch. Luckily I just have no desire to smoke again, but it's still rough going into bi-mart or any place that sells chew... from seeing friends/a family member/clients kick various really bad drugs, I think it is true that nicotine is harder to kick than any other. Part of it being that it's so danged available anywhere. I think C&H and the others mentioning gum/lozenges/patches have really helped a lot of people I know. One friend kicked a 2+ pack a day habit after having 6 ROOT CANALS done in a single day... worked for him but sure wouldn't recommend it :D

BAM! Dang, is that all it takes? ;P

O that's all i need.

That is all you need. The will and desire to do it.
Nothing more or less.
It's a mental addiction and a nasty habit.
Sometimes I have to repeat to myself that I don't smoke.
Like when I am stuck in traffic.
Swilling beer after work on Friday was kinda rough with no cigarettes to go with them.
I don't even notice now.

What I do notice is the people that do smoke smell foul.
I had to bring in a semi for work and the driver was a chain smoker, I couldn't get out of that rig fast enough.

Good luck.

i could use some of your willpower powermad.
Sean it aint easy, when it gets slow at the shop and I am just standing around is the worst.
But it is getting easier.

I am not seeing any extra money either. It is just getting used for other stuff.
But it is nice to be 4 days from payday and my biggest concern is not if I will have enough money for smokes.
I remember almost being in a panic sometimes.

I gained 10 pounds but for me that is not a big deal.

I've been quit over 7 years now, and about a month ago I had a dream where I was Going to the money machine to try to take out money I knew I didn't have to try and buy smokes.It's an ongoing thing, but I'm way better health wise not smoking.

I agree with this post. I was told when you quit don't tell everyone, don't make bets or do it with someone else. Just quit. I did after smoking for almost 30 years.
February 2002 I quit and never went back. I was also told that every time you quit and go back to it your brain feels a bit weaker to get it done. So wait until you are truly ready then QUIT!!!!!
I also watched my dad die of emphysema, not the way I want to go out.
Good luck!!!!!

After nearly 30 years of smoking 2 packs a day today is my second smoke free month.
Just stop if you wantto quit.

No patch, pill or crutch. Just stopped.:s0155:

I'm another one to agree with this. I smoked for 10 years, quit for a year, then started smoking again because I wasn't totally committed to it. Once I made my mind up I really was done smoking, I quit and never looked back. That was 6 years ago and I honestly have no desire to smoke. I have friends and family that smoke and even when I'm around them I have no urge.

The first time I quit I used Nicorette, chew, and every other crutch, and it wasn't any easier than cold turkey. The absolute hardest part is mental; it's not the physical addiction, it is you telling yourself you need to smoke. I listened to everybody else and heard how hard it was to quit, and convinced myself it would be hard. Once I made my mind up I was really, truly done with smoking, I stopped. And that was it. It's not fun, but it's not that hard if you don't dwell on it.

Hey this thread is helping me stay off chew :s0155: I posted here this morning, but I'm a total insomniac and am reallllllly close to puttin' on my coat and riding down to the minimart to buy a can, but instead I'm gonna hang out here and read every single new posting since this morning. It's the NWFA kick-tobacco support group:p Reckon it's like any habit, at first it's one minute at a time, then it becomes one day at a time. And tomorrow I'm going to the range with a buddy from here, which is a huge help. I'm gonna picture those targets as my nic cravings and blast 'em to hizzle :s0114:

Emotion is a powerful tool. Try hatred.

Toward the end of my 22 years with cigarettes, 20-30 a day, I realized that I finally HATED them. Everything about them. Make a list. My list was an imaginary spiral bound notebook in my mind, several hundred pages thick. I just realized one day how big and full it was.

If it takes a little self-loathing to acknowledge personal weakness and HATE the insidious control those perfectly packaged, harmless looking paper tubes have over you, then so be it. Whatever works.

Physical craving stops after awhile, and the "automatic" aspect of reaching for the pack does too. Really, just stick that part out and know that it gets better.

We naturally possess ALL of the emotions. Hate is powerful and destructive. Wise people advise us to love others, even our enemies. But you know what? After 18 years of smelling good again, I still can't think of a single reason to make amends with @#%*ing cigarettes. Not one. I'm happy to say I HATE 'em, and that works for me.

What've you got to lose? Try it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top