JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Employers Fed Up

"Employers don't value college degrees as much as originally thought, recent survey datashows, and the disdain is behind a restored appreciation for blue-collar job-seekers that bring skill and experience over education."

"When asked about the 'return on investment' of higher education, a whopping 67% of participating employers responded 'strongly no' when asked if they believed institutions of higher education were 'graduating students with relevant skills that today's business community needs.' "

"Only 10% of participants said a college degree would make a potential job-seeker more hirable. On the other hand, 41.5% said the degree makes 'no difference,' while over 40% said a college degree would make them less likely to hire a prospective applicant."

The villain here is the colleges who promote wokeism and leftism and have abandoned scholarship. But, at least the adminstrators are "hep" and "cool."

DftE5ZLWAAAVNgC.jpeg

A LOT of this is schools cranking out people who are almost literate yet they have a paper showing they passed. Many come out with HUGE debt and learned nothing to make them valuable. The school thing has been quite the scam for a good while now. So now have them lined up to have the debt they went into wiped out. All while the schools that encouraged them to take out those loans is trying to get more people to follow along and take the same classes.

In Oregon, thanks to greed and their union (same thing) high school diplomas are now a talisman of fail.. they are no longer required to have passing grades in anything to get one. Yay and pass the money.

While I understand and agree ( to a point ) with the OP....
Please do not turn this thread into the usual lets bash schools , educators and education ranting thread / postings.

I am the Dean of students at an elementary school and :
I enjoy firearms and have no desire for any of them to be restricted...
Do my best to keep the Mickey Mouse BS away from my school and students...
Teach as best as I can , personal responsibility , respect for others , understanding and appreciation for history...

I also understand that there is a reason for the stereotype...
However....not everyone within any group fits the stereotype that surrounds it.
Andy
Yes, we agree. The survey however asked employers as in those who hire people. It does seem that nowadays, having the necessary skills are more important than having the paper. And in Oregons case, even more so now that Oregon Board of Education have voted to suspend "essential skills" requirement

Andy, I have a grudge against colleges that discriminate against conservative applicants. So I'm biased.

But thank you for your good work at the elementary level. I appreciate schools that teach good citizenship.

I remember my Dad telling me that when he was in high school students had to take a course in Civics. I've never seen a course in civics, so I assume it went the way of shop classes, but a lot earlier.

While I understand and agree ( to a point ) with the OP....
Please do not turn this thread into the usual lets bash schools , educators and education ranting thread / postings.

I am the Dean of students at an elementary school and :
I enjoy firearms and have no desire for any of them to be restricted...
Do my best to keep the Mickey Mouse BS away from my school and students...
Teach as best as I can , personal responsibility , respect for others , understanding and appreciation for history...

I also understand that there is a reason for the stereotype...
However....not everyone within any group fits the stereotype that surrounds it.
Andy
There are still many GREAT schools. If they were all cranking out people who you see in those "man on the street" deals where college students can't tell them simple things. Branches of gov and such the country would have long ago fallen apart. Sadly though there is one hell of a lot of students coming out of a lot of places that are just like those people you see there. Have no clue about anything but end up with a diploma. A diploma and often a HUGE amount of debt. The scary part is a lot of them vote. If they come out of school unable to make a living of course they are going to vote for more gov since they have no way to support themselves. I have told the time long ago. Bunch of us at lunch and that PBS deal on the Civil Way was running again. Was a multi night great show. People are talking about it and one kid asks was that when the British came over here and attacked us? He had just graduated from one of the local schools here and had no idea what we were talking about. He did have a diploma though. :(

I'd be scared of the engineer with no degree, they're an extinct/illegal breed for a reason ;)

I never took out a student loan and never received money from family. There are plenty of scholarships and tuition aid available from various sources as well as Uncle Sam. Those putting themselves in crippling debt for useless degrees dug their own graves.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top